main & foremast stays

I am having trouble with the mainmast stay on Victory. No problem with rigging and blocks but when I start the zig zag sequence the first 2 look good but when I continue I am having trouble with them pulling together.

I held them in place then tied with clove hitch that did not work, then had trouble holding them in place trying a wrapping. I gave up after my 4th try and loss offa mile of line.

I am missing something maybe lack of experience? checked the sight and could not find a detailed monkey see monkey do.

Could not find a u tube rigging for dummies!

Appreciate any wisdom from the masters.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I am told the snaking was only used when action was imminent.  Its effect is to keep a cut stay nearly in position for ease of repair and to keep it from coming down on deck and injuring crew members.  This is, remember, the largest and heaviest line on the ship.

I use a needle to thread the thin line through the stay and preventer. You can adjust the tension of each segment to keep it relatively straight and avoid pulling the two stays together.

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

Thanks to all for responding to my dilemma, good suggestions. Will take all under advisement.

Thanks

John 

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Hello John. I'm no master, and much less in 1993 when I built my Heller Victory. I remember having that same problem back then. The knots didn't look even. I solved the problem with clove hitches but I see that didn't work for you. My suggestion is give it another try. If it worked for me, don't see why it won't work for you.

Best of lucks.

Edit. I remember trying tying the clove hitches knots in the outer part of the stay, but what ended working well, was tying the knots in the inner part of the stays. Hope this helps.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Instead of a clove hitch try a constrictor knot.  Tie the constrictor knot around the stay and snaking, but do not haul completely tight.  Get the snaking into the proper position being careful to not draw the stay and preventer closer together then do a final tighten on the constrictor.  It should not move after that.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thank you 2 more good suggestions, will be playing with all this date to see which one I am most comfortable with and works best.

Thanks to all

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished