Adventure Pirate Ship by SexyAuthor- FINISHED - Amati - scale 1:60

Thanks Scott!  Yeah, those Bitt heads were a lot of fun!

-- Brian

Builds:

St. Helena (Constructo kit - build log)

Louise Steam Launch (Constructo kit)

Adventure Pirate Schooner (Amati kit - build log)

Current Build:

Harriet Lane (Model Shipways kit - build log)

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Coming along great Brian!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks Matt!  I'm working on the hatches now - Again the instructions aren't clear, but it looks like I insert eyebolts at the two ends of each section and then bend them over to form rings on the top of the hatches.  Does that sound right?  When I built the St. Helena, they supplied brass rings (photo from St Helena build shows a small hatch and part of the larger hatch - as you can see, there are rings at each end of every section - should I do the same for the hatches of this build?).  BTW, are these rings supposed to represent handles to open the hatch section?  Or something else?

Thanks!

post-24889-0-24544700-1465374032.jpg

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

I searched for images of 19th century ship hatches and found the answer to my question.

post-24889-0-69038800-1466376016.jpg

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

I decided to stain the inside panels and top rail rather than paint them.  I have an issue with a few of the panels (residual glue blocks the stain) so I'll have to remove the glue and re-stain the area affected.  Anyone have any tips for removing wood glue?  Sanding works but if there's a more precise method, I'm all ears....

post-24889-0-06749800-1466481766.png

post-24889-0-86643200-1466481776.png

post-24889-0-43376300-1466481785.png

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

What is this and why does it have holes around the ring near the top?

post-24889-0-27442200-1466498031.pngpost-24889-0-91608800-1466498041.pngpost-24889-0-57464900-1466498052.png

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Ahhh!  I think I found it.  It's a capstan and the holes are for inserting a piece of wood or metal to use as a handle to turn it....

Yes?

post-24889-0-97213400-1466498550.gif

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Anchors aweigh! 

post-24889-0-48365400-1466523588.pngpost-24889-0-16749100-1466523598.pngpost-24889-0-44046100-1466523609.png

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Brian,

If those glue stains are PVA (carpenter's or wood glue) use isopropyl alcohol.  If it's CA, then acetone.  But with acetone, do it in a very well-ventilated area.

Just don't soak to heavily or your planks will come off.

Keep a damp cloth handy when planking and you can take the glue (PVA) off immediately.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the tip, mtaylor!  It's wood glue, so alcohol it is...

A couple more questions....

1) There are two gaffs (main mast and foremast).  The ends were supplied as metal bits and have 3 holes in them.  There were also a bunch of beads and some fine copper wire.  By looking up images on the net, i figured out what to do with the beads, wire and two of the holes.  What is the third hole used for?  It's a work in progress, so I don't want to cut the wire until I know I've done things correctly.

post-24889-0-83917300-1466588796_thumb.png

2) There are rings that go on the main and foremasts.  There rings attach to the sails - any suggestions on how to attach them?  Do I pry open the ring a bit and then clamp it down on the sail?  Or do I use thread to sew them to the sail?  Glue?  Punch a hole in the sail cloth and thread the ring through it?  Something else?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights....

-=b=-

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

I'm not too sure on the sail rings. I left those out as I didn't put sails on mine. I can not say for sure what the third hole is. I never had that either. My best guess would be something to do with lashing the sail? Good work. Keep it up.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

If I remember correctly the rings remain on the masts at all times. The sail has a rope that runs down the leading edge looped through a ring then through a hole in the sail then back through the next ring and so on. At a guess the spare hole is for the tail end of the rope running down the sail to be secured through.

Sorry but I've no idea what the nautical terms are for these actions. :-(

Rick

Thanks Rick!  Judging from some pictures I've seen, the rope running down the edge of the sail and through the rings is how some have done it.

And Scott, your idea for the third hole in the gaff seems plausible (lashing the sail). 

Thanks for the input.  Anyone else?

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Brian,

What Rick said about the mast hoops is correct.  As tor the third hole....  I have no idea unless it's for lifting the boom or securing something to it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

bowsprit stained, cap and lashing

post-24889-0-04614300-1466646490.png

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Progress - no glue yet, just a lot of test fittings to see how things are going together.  Stained all the masts and yards and deck accessories; stuck some pins in the rack.  You can see the mast rings piled at the bottom of each mast.  The stern decoration is in place (you can see the clamps)  :-)

post-24889-0-58151500-1466653352.pngpost-24889-0-83636100-1466653364.pngpost-24889-0-60844600-1466653375.pngpost-24889-0-94156000-1466653383.pngpost-24889-0-58915000-1466653393.pngpost-24889-0-26542800-1466653402.pngpost-24889-0-94562400-1466653412.png

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Brian,

I hope you haven't glued on that boom, yet.   The rings go on top of the boom so that when the sail is raised, so will the rings.   I think you're ok on the foremast as there doesn't appear to be a boom on it.

Otherwise, shipshape and Bristol fashion.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you!  I haven't glued anything if it has to do with the masts.  I still have to add the 2 gaffs too, and they go above the rings... Even the bowsprit is just dry fitted, as are the pin racks and hatches.  The anchor assemblies are glued as I was somewhat confident that I'd gotten them correct;  and I was satisfied with their appearance...  :D

-=b=-

Edited by Sexyauthor

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Help!  There is this figure in the instructions:

post-24889-0-09306100-1466659115.png

One cap gets 2 eyebolts (one on either side) and the other cap gets 3 eyebolts.  A later figure indicates that the 2-eyebolt cap goes on the main mast and the 3-eyebolt cap goes on the foremast.  All well and good.... almost.  Does the eyebolt on the short side of the 3-eyebolt cap face fore or aft? One figure seems to indicate that it would face aft, but that is purely a guess on my part.   Also, I assume that I attach a block to each eyebolt which will be used in the rigging.  However there is NO drawing that indicates that any rigging line goes through these blocks.  In fact, these blocks don't appear in any drawing.  Also, no figure indicates any rigging lines tied to these eyebolts directly (i.e. no block).

Is there a "standard" way to rig the sails that would dictate the use of these blocks?  The odd thing is that going by the figures in the instructions, all of the rigging can be done without using these blocks.  I'm assuming that the figures are just inadequately drawn and some of the lines that go through blocks (shown tied to the mast)  are actually these blocks tied to the eyebolts....

Ay yi yi!

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

I'd expect it to go to the back - then the lift for the gaff would be hooked/lashed to it. Also note that there should be a similar set up on the fore mast so the cap with only two eye bolts sits above the cap with three one each mast. Search some of the cutters for an illustration of the rigging around this area.

Rick

I would suggest going through others build logs and try to figure out which lines go where and why. Good luck!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Sails!  The last two have the "railing" attached.  The kit did not include enough rope for this so I had to make my own!  5 strands of thin rigging line, soaked in water, twisted together with the help of a cordless drill, a little Elmer's glue, and let dry overnight.

post-24889-0-06116600-1466710965.pngpost-24889-0-75438400-1466710974.pngpost-24889-0-45204800-1466710983.pngpost-24889-0-45388300-1466710991.pngpost-24889-0-04285900-1466711206.pngpost-24889-0-46030300-1466711213.png

Edited by Sexyauthor

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

So, what are those vertical and horizontal lines on the sails?  Purely cosmetic, or do they serve some purpose?  More practically, how do I "implement" them? It is just a matter of sewing a thread along the path of the vertical line?  It's not just drawn on there, is it?  What about the horizontal "bar" - some sails have 2, some 3.  Are those two parallel threads, or is that a piece of cloth (wood?) - it's about 3mm wide.  And what is the purpose of the little dangling threads?

post-24889-0-20413400-1466743406.png

Lastly, what about the polygon in the corner?  The sail pictured only has the one but some of the sails have one in each of the four corners.  Again, do I just sew thread along the lines that make up the shape, or is that a piece of cloth on top of the sail cloth?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/explanations....

-=b=-

Edited by Sexyauthor

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Brian,

I'll see if I can help....

The vertical lines represent the stitching that joins the cloth pieces together.  Sails are/were made of bolts of cloth of a certain width depending on country.

The "bar" are horizontal cloth reinforcements for the reefs, which are the "dangly" things.   The reefs allow the sail to be "reefed" up in high winds such that there's not more strain on the masting and rigging then they can tolerate.

If you can, find a copy of zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models.   There's copies available pretty inexpensively and while it's not perfect or accurate in all respects, it is a great reference for parts of a ship and what they do.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahhh!  Makes sense.  Thanks!  I assume the panels in the corners are also reinforcements.

Thanks for the explanation.  I'll look for the book you mentioned.  Sorry to be asking so many questions.  I've obviously never sailed and my model ship building experience is very small.

You may wonder what attracts me to this, since sailing isn't in my blood.  I'm an engineer and I love learning new things.  I'd never done this before and thought I'd give it a try.  After my first build, I was addicted.  My dad was a carpenter - I guess a love of woodworking was passed on to me, just on a smaller scale.  He built houses and cabinets and tables - I'll stick to small things that people don't have to depend on. :-)

thanks again...

-=b=-

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Hey Brian, the ships looking great. This is also a book that may be of use for you as well.

post-17116-0-01002400-1467046808.jpeg

You can find used copies for just a few bucks and is well worth it. It was first published in 1808 so some of the language is no longer common. Written for young bucks so the descriptions are straight forward with excellent drawings of most every aspect of sailing. I would have been lost on my USS Ranger/pirate ship bash without this gem.

A lot of the head scratching is because of the multitude of both standing and running rigging. This book shows the order of rigging since many of the blocks in the drawings aren't shown all at once to help avoid confusion, which can add to the confusion. If every line and block were shown in a drawing at once, it would be a mess. Take a gander at my Ranger build log towards the end, standing rigging first, then running. No part of the masts were glued since the ropes hold them there. Then if something gets messed up its easier to fix.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Matt -> WOW!  That Ranger build is gorgeous!  You are a true craftsman!  

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll definitely look for the book you cited.

I'm taking the rigging slowly and extrapolating from the simplified drawings what is really meant to be done. 

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)

Been a couple of days... Here's an update.... Sails are mostly sewn; Standing rigging in place but not finalized.  Shroud work next.

post-24889-0-22446000-1467172797.pngpost-24889-0-97003000-1467172808.pngpost-24889-0-36085900-1467172819.png

-- Brian

Builds:

Current Build:

Future Builds:
J. S. Elcano
Bluenose II (Constructo)