BLUENOSE By Jerry - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Good morning everyone:

I'm back in business!!  It just didn't feel right to begin a build and not share my progress with the many friends my admiral and I have made since becoming a member of NRG's Model Ship World.  I'm just plain happy that I feel well enough to work on another model and after some persuasion from a couple of fellow modelers I have decided to share my ups and downs on this site once again. I must admit, the "downs" are going to be mentioned first:

This model from Model Shipways has been a challenge right from the beginning.  I had no trouble combining the three keel sections into one but boy did I run into trouble carving the the bearding line.  A bearding line, believe it or not, is a new phenomenon for me.  I suppose I should have cut one in the keel of all the other models I have built but I'm making a confession here... I never did one before.  But since this ship model is designed for a single planking (something I'm not sure I'll stick with) I decided to do what is expected and carve a bearding line and rabbet.  This keel is basswood, about 3/16 of an inch thick and the instructions call for a 1/16 bevel on each side of the keel for the bearding line. So, yep, you guessed it, I ended up with a new piece of keel from the bearding line down.  Even though I was warned, I scored the initial cut too deep.  But all is not lost as I was able to reattach the severed piece and hopefully, as the hull progresses, it will get stronger. So that's where I am at this time.  I intend to remove the bulkheads from their respective billets today and glue them to the keel shortly thereafter.

The ugliness of my bearing and rabbet sculpture can be seen on the attached pictures.

I wish you all a good day,

Jerry

post-545-0-25134000-1465829244_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-12459900-1465829253_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92428700-1465829260_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20576000-1465829269_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-91749300-1465829277_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-45768900-1465829292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thank you, Lawrence..You are always avaiable if someone needs help and I for one sure appreciate it.  It's good to be back in business again.  By the way here are a couple of pictures of the very poor laser cuts this kit jas provided.  It will take a lot longer than necessary to remove the bulkheads from the billets as they are not cut cleanly through the entire thickness of the plywood.  I hope you have a wonderful day.

Jerry

post-545-0-41539300-1465832981_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-32484500-1465833049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Joshua... and many thanks for stopping by at my new Bluenose log.  I very much appreciate your kind comments as they encourage me to do as you said, " press on."  I have a second wind since my medical situation has improved and there's no need to sit around all day and mope.  There's a very small bit of wood at the aft end of the keel and the least carelessness on one's part will easily cause the aft end to break off.  I was careless and it broke off!  So I have stopped my progress to wait for the glue to dry and then I'll need to figure out how to reinforce the repair.  I believe the kit is poorly designed at this point but as I said if one is careless trouble will be found;  and I was careless.

Have a great day Joshua and come back and visit again

Best,

Jerry (I must be crazy!)

post-545-0-29650600-1465838563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hey Jerry!

Great to see another MS Bluenose build started!  Looking good so far!

I'm about two months into mine.  Looks like you have the 'plywood' version of the bulkheads instead of basswood - so did I.  Those are a pain to cut, and they can 'crumble' a little bit in the extensions above the deck (the ones that end up becoming stanchions later on).  Fairing the bulkheads is also 'fun' with this material.  But I've heard that this wood is a little strong than basswood for the bulkheads.

Looking forward to following your build!

I'm glad to see you decided to start a log on your Bluenose build Jerry, and very pleased to hear of the improvement in your medical condition. I'll tag along too as a Bluenose of some description is on my "one of these days" list. Just remember to take your time and enjoy the journey!

Hey Lawrence.  

I guess the American Postal System really sucks...or maybe it's the Canadian system that's holding up delivery of the "package."  Please let em know when you get it.

I did take my time and managed to get the bulkheads removed from their respective billets and they are now safely glued onto the keel.  Fairing is next.  And now I'm a bit concerned about cutting the bulkhead extensions above the deck into stanchions as Dave (Above)  has pointed out.  These bulkheads are made out of plywood and they will have a tendency to shatter, I think.  I'll be careful.  LOL...

Best regards to Bernie, please,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Dave.. Thank you very much for visiting my log.  I took a good look see at your build log of Bluenose and I am very impressed.  You are doing one hell of a meticulous job.  I'm coming along but I am very concerned about these plywood bulkheads and I should have trimmed them for stanchions before I glued them to the keel.  I will be careful, of course, but who knows what will happen?  I appreciate your nice comments about my other builds with which I enjoyed every minute of their construction.  I'm still waiting for the display case for Bounty and hope that'll be ready soon as the dust is beginning to become more threatening.  Please come back again,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Grant.

I appreciate your visit and comments and can assure you time will be taken on this one.  I do hope you will keep visiting as progress is hopefully made as I value your criticism and ideas.  I did see the doctor this morning and she was very happy with surgical results so here I am, thank God, building another ship model.  I have attached the latest pictures of the little additional progress.

Best to you,

Jerry

post-545-0-47265700-1465922935_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-22469300-1465922947_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-42523300-1465922961_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-74480700-1465922970_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Are you sure your false keel is straight? In photo 2 it looks to be slightly bent.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Could be a trick of the camera Jerry, but Elijah is right - the keel definitely appears to have a bend in the photos above.

Hello Elija, Grant and Lawrence..

I appreciate your concern regarding the straightness of the keel.  I always check for deviation as I build and believe me I constantly checked the keel to make sure it was straight.  Check the 3rd photo  (overhead shot) of the keel and you can see that it's straight.  But to make sure, and after reading your posts, I checked again and what you see is camera distortion. I'm happy to say the keel is straight as an arrow.  Please keep watching for any possible errors.

Best regards,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning ..

I took this picture to show that the keel is not curved.  The camera can play funny tricks especially if your angles are unconventional; mine usually are.

Have a nice day everyone.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-80150000-1466000069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Don.

Thank you very much for visiting my site.  I hope you'll feel the same way as I progress with this build.  This model is interesting as it's a schooner, the first model of its kind that I have attempted, and therefore a different type of hull construction from what I am used to.  The photos apparently tend to play tricks and lines that should be straight look crooked.  But I'm having fun and that's what counts. I hope you are enjoying good weather  and please come to see us again.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence..

I can't imagine what's happened to the envelope.  Perhaps I should send you another package?  What do you think?  Thanks for your nice remarks

Best to Bernadette,

Jerry

Good afternoon everyone...

Well, disaster has struck once more.  I was very proud of the glue joint that I made when repairing the broken off tail section.  Everything seemed perfect and I was able to attach the tail block and work on it with knife, Dremel and sanding block.  I couldn't believe that the broken keel was okay and sure enough I was right.  During the application of the Horn Timbers I must have put too much pressure on the second from last bulkhead and it and the last bulkhead, including the tail block, landed in my lap.  Never to be discouraged by a minor or major mishap, like a severed piece of keel section, I glued the section back to the main keel but this time I was able to reinforce the repair with a couple of balsa blocks.  I really believe that this will do the trick, but who knows.  We'll see later.  So I have now completed the basic assembly which means the planking is almost upon me.  Here are the latest pictures.

Best to all,

Jerry

post-545-0-79558100-1466100725_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-90607400-1466100812_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-27659100-1466100830_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-98394300-1466100858_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55511800-1466100872_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55843200-1466100890_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61261700-1466100899_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-38594300-1466100934_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-27701400-1466100943_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24915300-1466100954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

That was a bit of bad luck Jerry, but a nice recovery as we'd expect from you!

Hello Lawrence..

I'm beginning to think that the envelope has been lost in the mail but will eventually show up.  And as I mentioned, if it doesn't I'll send you another,  Thanks for the encouragement regarding Bluenose.  I'm really enjoying this build so far and I learned today a different method on how to handle the bulkhead extensions.  I'm not going to trim them but remove them entirely and replace them eventually with false stanchions.  The practicum I have advises construction that way.  I hope you guys have a wonderful trip and we'll talk when you return.  My best to you.

Jerry

Hi Grant..

Yeah, you're absolutely right, it was definitely more bad luck.  But upon reading several logs dedicated to the Bluenose kit by Model Shipways, i have learned that many others have run into the same broken keel at the same point.  There is a definite kit design flaw.  Come back again.

Regards,

Jerry

Great job avoiding disaster with that tail section!

I think you're making the right choice to just remove the bulkhead extensions entirely.  I did the trimming, but now that I've got my bulwarks planked, almost all those extensions are the wrong height.  I might have 1 or 2 that even reach the top of the bulwark.  If I could do it over, I would have just cut them off.

Looking forward to your next update!

Thanks for the visit, Dave.

Truthfully, I'm so happy that I'm not going to try and trim the bulkhead extensions,, Plywood....UGH!  I think Bob's method makes sense and I'm looking forward to more progress on my build.  Talk to you soon.

Jerry

Good afternoon friends..

A little more progress today; reference waterways installed so we're ready to begin planking the hull. The waterways establish the beginning point of the top plank.  Thanks for looking in.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-86911500-1466451517_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10181400-1466451538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, everyone,

We've made a bit more progress in the planking phase of the hull.  It's very raw and obviously good old Elmer's wood filler will come in handy in a few days.  The port side is ready to begin the planking from the keel up to meet the planks that were placed from the gunnels down.  This next stage will require tapering which was not necessary so far.  More to follow...

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-72271500-1466772574_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-51379600-1466772599_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-99578100-1466772609_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-91742700-1466772617_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-47497000-1466772637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

hello Jerry!    I'm so glad you decided to post a log for this beauty  :)   bad bit of luck at the beginning.......if that was regular plywood,  that might not have happened.   I'd really like to get my hands on a few sheets of the kit plywood though.....it's much easier to sand.   I'm kinda surprised that the manufacturer didn't get feedback that the stern was a critical area,  and supplied a couple of balsa blocks to remedy the potential problem.  no matter.......your planking it now,  that will solve the problem  ;)    I noticed that you didn't fare the frame {bulkheads}......are the planks laying on the bulkheads OK?   your not getting that chunky look,  so they must be to some degree.   I've never done a bearding line either......guess I can join your club  :)   I have though,  made rabbits for some of my builds....I'm used to them.    you can bet your boots I'm gonna be following your build..thanks for allowing me {us}  to follow along  :)

I see that the La Nina is in the house........is Charlene planning on posting a log too?   tell her  "PLEASEEEEEEEEE"  for me  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye..

Charlene is a stubborn woman; that's why she made Admiral.  LOL.. I have no idea if she plans to do a log.  I believe she's skeptical but who knows?  I did fair the bulkheads a little bit where it was needed.  Most of the center section didn't really require it.  I have now completed the planking from the gunnels down and will soon start planking from the keel up.  This planking will require some tapering at times but after all the models I have done I think it'll be a piece of cake.  I'm following Bob Hunt's practicum for this build.  I haven;t even opened the kit's instruction manual as the practicum suggests to avoid the plans and kit directions unless specifically called out.  Here's another picture as to where I'm at right now.  Have a great day.

Jerry

post-545-0-67637700-1466788581_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

sounds like a great guy already  :D  :D   looking good on the planking!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch