1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing Runabout by trashboat - Dumas - 1/8 - RADIO

If the chine run is fair and true I would keep going as you show and then bring the side panels down (up as in the picture) as far as they will go. Hopefully you will have an edge (of the side panels) proud of the underside panels and then you can sand flush with bottom. If there is not enough side panel depth to do so just fill with your glass compound and fair in.

If you believe the bottom PVC panels are the true run then I would carefully sand the chine to conform and keep going as stated above. My guess is this is the more correct reference (i.e.the PVC panels).

post-15662-0-84330600-1466793883_thumb.jpg

Paul here is the method I am using to metal foil the rub strip. In the vise is a 1/4" MDF scrap cut to the contour of the deck curve using the negative space material in the kit. If you look closely I created a 3/8" deep rabbet to reduce the contour (of the MDF) to match the width of the 1/2 round styrene I am using for the rub rail substrate.The substrate is temporarily taped to the form. In the background you will see an approximately 3/8 inch strip of the metal foil cut from the sheet. It is fairly easy to lay down centered and burnished smooth on the substarte. The next piece will slightly overlay the former strip and so on. Obviously it needs trimming but that can be done with a very sharp razor blade. Hope this helps..

Edited by Thistle17

In Pat's book, he recommends using Milliput (a two part epoxy putty). I'm going to use that but haven't got that far yet. Pat recommends not using Bondo as it sometimes has difficulty adhering to plastics.

Edited by gjdale

Well not much progress this weekend I got the sides on and the front nose started (Not In Pic) also cut out all the seats and mounts. I'm not very happy with the way it turned out going to have to fill a lot of gaps and bumps but its all part of the hobby! :piratetongueor4:

post-25268-0-32796400-1467033788_thumb.jpg

Edited by trashboat

Paul don't be discouraged by this stage of the results. I too felt as you do right now. This kit needs an upgrade in terms of manufacturing. You will begin to see a "different boat as you apply the planking so take heart. As for the planking take some extra care as you adhere the planks near the bow. I had a couple lift an edge as there is no good way to clamp them as you lay them down. I had to use low viscosity CA and hand pressure to "flatten" them down. A messy process and the seams soaked the CA. Lots of sanding to get past that.

You might want to consider replacing the motor mount blocks with something other than balsa. I used some scraps of pine for mine - just felt a little more secure for holding the mounting screws.

I just noticed that in the two pics above, your steering column support appears on different sides - starboard side in the top pic, and port side on the bottom pic. The starboard side is correct.

Yeah the picture somehow how got mirrored, it is on the starboard side. Also I had read that in Patts book , in the instructions it says to reinforce it with resin but I may just take the route you suggested and go with a pine.

Edited by trashboat

Paul I used filler as I related earlier on the PVC substrate. The Evercoat 2 part filler and I backed up some joints on the inside of the hull with CA'd wood fillers. As for the planking when it was laid dow, whether it sprang loose or laid down correctly I did have to use filler. I used the colored filler you can buy at Home Depot (Elmer's or others) that comes in the squeeze tubes. It has a paste like consistency and will rub into the joints well. I used cherry colored filler. However I caution; it colors the surrounding planks  if it gets away from you, and you will see the smear after clear coating the hull. I had to sand down the clear coat and then the planks to get it to blend. I'd suggest masking off the area you apply fill to.

I did not stain anything, rather just applied the top clear coat and let the mahogany do its thing. The strips are pretty uniform in color so the sides and deck came out quite well. If you want the deck planks lighter you may have to use different stock. I'd suggest you experiment, off model, with some different stains and stock. You may also try some of the Trans Tint dyes (using alcohol instead of water) to color the material. Don't use basswood.

I haven't got that far yet, but plan on using the lit supplied stain. Everything I've read says it looks a bit orange when it goes on but after the resin us applied, it goes a very nice colour. I'm also using different timber for the cockpits and dashboard, where I'm using some Redheart, which will just receive a clear finish.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandson and I fastened the rub strips to the sides just this week. Again we used metal foil over styrene 1/2 round of appropriate scale. We used CA (20 second) glue to fasten to the sides sparingly. It took both of us to do it. The CA was applied to sections and then held in place. The results were quite satisfying.