Stag by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827 - Finished

Hi John just stopped by to say hello buddy....

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Well, I was at the museum yesterday and the Stag was sitting on the desk in front of me, but very little happened.

Firstly, there was a conference on in the next gallery and every time they had a break the delegates would come over for a chat to fill in time.

Secondly, I decided to do a bit of extra work on the sheet bitts as I wasn't really satisfied with them.  The first thing I did with them was to break one side off while trying to drill a hole for a dowell to make them stronger (looks like that dowell was needed).  Then I carefully placed the broken piece on the desk so it would be safe and it promptly disappeared - completey - without trace!  How that can happen on a clean and clutter free desk I don't know, but it did.

Next, I decided to try making a few blocks.  I only need one treble block for the Stag, so after completing it I carefully placed it on a piece of white paper on the cutting mat so it wouldn't get lost - and it too disappeared!!!!

At that stage I thought a cup of coffee was a good idea!

During the rest of the day I only managed to get a few blocks made, but at least I'm progressing.

John

The few blocks made during the day.

post-5-0-55804500-1362630511.jpg

And a few photos showing the ridiculaous spread of the fore and aft spars.  Only the bowsprit is permanently fitted at the moment, but just placing the spars in their positions gives a good idea of the size of the rig.

post-5-0-01536600-1362630514.jpg

post-5-0-41792600-1362630515.jpg

post-5-0-62893800-1362630517.jpg

Good Lord !  She's going to carry as much sail as in the painting :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

John those are some long mast and spars. I am going to suppose that you will have the sails furled.... but maybe not?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

HIde the detail?  The size of the sails for those spars will hide the whole ship!  :P  :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HIde the detail?  The size of the sails for those spars will hide the whole ship!  :P  :P

I agree with Mark. John maybe you should put sails, they will work double duty. Look good on the boat and keep the dust off the stag. As for your missing items, you better keep your stag close, at 1/96 they going slip that boat in their back pocket and run............haha!

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

looking good John :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sounds like you had an interesting day John.  If it wasn't the Kleptomanic mice taking your parts, I think you have to assume you had a delegate with a very special interest in your work ;)

At least you managed to retain a little of your work. :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

John,

Nice to see some new pictures.  She's looking good.

Sorry about the missing parts.  Maybe you need to put up a fence.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

HMMMMM!!!

WE'RE TALKING PIECES OF WOOD HERE JOHN, MAYBE YOU GOT THIS PROBLEM HERE

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
If a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
And chuck as much as a woodchuck would
If a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Kids' Funny Tongue Twisters

also known as groundhogs.....don't get them mad because some are armed and dangerous my friend!!!

post-1053-0-55283500-1362761999.jpg

post-1053-0-65246600-1362762085.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

G'day John,

They reside in Popeyes neighborhood. Yes they are apart of the rotent family. since you were out there last year maybe you brought one home you in luggage Chief...

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

yea......back in the old days {when I was a lot younger}  there were so many of them,  the fish and game used to pay 50 cents for the nose of every one you shot.   they would wreak havoc in corn fields and gardens......and dig their burrows in just about every place imaginable.

look forward in seeing morte progress on the stag John.......;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Both are members of the ground squirrel family. Prairie Dogs are much smaller...up to 3 pounds. Groundhogs can weigh up to 9 pounds. We have lots of the latter here where I live.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

We are stuck with the Prarie Dogs out here in the West.  But instead of one or two per square mile, they live in colonies of hundreds all over the place!  Happily for MSW members, they enjoy attacking downed aircraft more than pilfering from the ships' store.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956