Stag by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827 - Finished

Just a small update on the Stag.

I had some extra time at the museum yesterday so I was able to get a little more done - not much, as it's school holidays here and the museum was crowded, but I was able to at least get a start on rigging the shrouds.  No photos today as I didn't have the camera with me, but I promise to have updated photos next week when I'm in.

The really funny thing was that when I started to check the first port pair of shrouds for length, the chainplate pulled free as soon as I put a little weight on the deadeye!  When I checked I found that I'd forgotten to pin the two forward chainplates on the port side! :P  Boy, did I feel a dill!!!  Thankfully this sort of oversight is easily rectified and all is now well (for the time being, at least)!

John

Another WOW!!!! She is beautiful John. I can only hope to be a quarter as good as you guys are. It amazes me how you can do this on such a small scale. I always think women would have an edge with smaller fingers, but I swear I find I am all thumbs lol.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

John,

It's good that you caught that one early.  I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty rigged.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Robbyn and Meredith - thanks for the support, ladies!

Mark - I couldn't believe it when I saw that I'd only pinned 6 of the chain plates.  I hope I haven't forgotten anything else! :)  :huh:

John

Easy to miss something, in my opinion.  These things aren't simple beasts but quite complex even by today's engineering standards. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, the spiders have started work in earnst now.  The lower shrouds, forestay and running backstays are rigged, but not yet finally tied off, although that can be done anytime now.  Next job, I think, will be to rig the boom as I won't be able to get to the parrel once a little more rigging is done around the mast.  Then it'll be on to the ratlines - only one lower mast to do.

Here are some pictures of where we are now.

First, a few general views of the model.  I think she's finally starting to look like a real cutter with the backstays rigged!

post-5-0-86381200-1367393523_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-49027700-1367393526_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-73742200-1367393528_thumb.jpg

The unusual arrangement of the backstays.  These are very like the backstays that Petersson shows in his book 'Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft', but are pretty unusual for the period judging by the contemporary models that I've seen.

post-5-0-95669200-1367393530_thumb.jpg

The inboard end of the backstays, showing the details as shown on the plans, which confirm the backstay arrangement as shown in the painting.

post-5-0-70336400-1367393518_thumb.jpg

The very unusual lower end of the forestay.  This is shown in detail on the plan, so I have to assume that it's as rigged.  The plan shows four turns of the laniard secured by four hitches, so my stay has (you guessed it) four turns and four hitches.  I think I'm going too far!!! :)

post-5-0-04646700-1367393522_thumb.jpg

John

Nice work on the stays and backstays, Jim! I admire your respect of the real knots on the model: you are not going too far! (If it can be done, why not do it... :D ) I had never noticed so many backstays on a cutter... but then, with all the canevas surface that the mast has to bear, it makes sense.

Does the forestay actually go through the stern piece?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

wonderful rigging John..........she's looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work on the stays and backstays, Jim! I admire your respect of the real knots on the model: you are not going too far! (If it can be done, why not do it... :D ) I had never noticed so many backstays on a cutter... but then, with all the canevas surface that the mast has to bear, it makes sense.

Does the forestay actually go through the stern piece?

I don't think so Adeline.  Looks like the bowsprit is slightly off center to port.  Let's see what John says......I hadn't noticed that before.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

John, your work on the rigging is very inspiring, I hope that my own attempts will be as authentic as yours are in their execution.

Would those backstays have been let out on the leeward side when running? otherwise it would seem that they would resrtict the travel of the boom.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

John,

What talented spiders you have in Australia.  Could you spare some when I need them?

Fine job, and I agree with Padeen, “If it can be done, why not do it...”.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Popeye, Russ and Bob (Rafine) - Thanks very much for your encouraging words.

Adeline - They're actually single backstays, but set up with a variation of the double Spanish burton tackle, which gives a mechanical advantage of 8 times.  I think, as you say, that that's an indication of the weight of canvas she carried!

Augie - the forestay set up is really unusual.  I first thought that the stay must run over a sheave between the bowsprit (offset to port) and the stem, but there isn't any space for it there.  After much studying of the plans and an equal amount of head scratching, I decided that it actually ran through the stem.  As the knee that it's lashed around is right on the centreline that makes sense as it gives a straight lead for the lashing.

Bob (Cap'n'Bob) - we have to use spiders here.  The rigging fairies won't come to Australia as they're too scared of the spiders! :D

John

Thanks, John.  Now I can see it.  Glad it was your head, not mine  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi John just in case you missed my question I will ask it again

Would those backstays have been let out on the leeward side when running? otherwise it would seem that they would resrtict the travel of the boom.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sorry, Michael.  I saw your question and then forgot to answer it! :wacko:

And I'm afraid my answer is - I'm not sure; I only build 'em!  :huh:  If you go back to page 1 of this more or less rebuilt log you'll see the only known painting of the Stag showing her under full sail.  Like all other paintings I've seen of such cutters, the mainsail is hauled in fairly flat - maybe to stop it from blanketting the square sails, which would give her a lot of driving power.  of course the paintings may simply be using artistic licence to show a 'romantic' view of the cutters under full sail.  It would be a pretty easy job to slack away the lee backstay - it's only two tackles to let go.

I'd be intrested to hear from anyone who has any actual information on the sailing of these ships.

John

PS Actually I'd like to get some information on how they managed to keep these craft upright when they were under a press of sail - they don't draw a lot of water!!! :o

Hi John!

If I may chime in here (great work buddy), about the running back stays. It is really in the name... "running".. The running back stay on the leeward side is eased off because

1. It don't support the mast when the wind is from the other side, but the more important

2. If it were to be hauled tight it would chafe not only the boom but more the sail. How do I know? Well, after reading Magz of classic boats for some years now, I've seen it enough times in pictures of old smacks and their alike to be sure. Also, in my own younger days I owned a skerry cruiser with running back stays...

Upright? Can it be in the nature of the craft, beamy as they were/are. And then of course, about good seamanship...not to carry more sail than the weather permits...

There might be several more answers, this was my 2 cents only!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks for your 2 cents, Håkan! :)

I know these craft were beamy, but there seems to be very little under the water and contemporary paintings show them carrying an aweful lot of canvas in fairly strong conditions.

John

Thanks for the explaination John: I now have noticed the blocks on the backstays... and know that my eyes did not failed me for the forestay!

Waiting for more updates...  :)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi John, that little beauty is coming along magnificently - great work!

Now that you let the cat out of the bag re the spiders; who are you going to scare away when they find out about the snakes (and the ....) :);)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

OK.........I'll bite........what do the snakes do?  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

We have bear droppings.  Does that count?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976