For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale

I think I've already read just about every Vanguard kit log there is, including your prototype builds :) I like the kits, I like the fact that they're all the same scale and I like the fact that they seem to be easy (relatively, of course) to build but offer enough options to personalise and expand on.

The only thing holding me back, really (apart from finishing my current kit), is that I'm afraid my skill is insufficient. But then again, I'm learning now that you can't acquire much skill with the kit I have now (apart from dealing with frustration 😁) anyway so should probably just stop worrying... 🙄 

Cheers, Pieter

Current build: Polaris (OcCre, 1:50)

I am actually sometimes wondering, whether kits do not make the task of building too daunting.

If well designed, everything should fall into its place, but you really have to be able to follow the ideas of the designers in addition to understand the ship itself. That's a double task.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

I am actually sometimes wondering, whether kits do not make the task of building too daunting.

If well designed, everything should fall into its place, but you really have to be able to follow the ideas of the designers in addition to understand the ship itself. That's a double task.

The key is "well designed" and the instructions.   Many are poorly designed and the instructions shall we say "rather vague".  Those usually come from the older companies.   The newer companies such as Syren and Vanguard have very good designs and instructions along with excellent support from the designers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2016 at 10:19 AM, ccoyle said:

Dear prospective ship modeler,

Welcome! If you're reading this, it's probably because you are ready and raring to get started on a first ship model. But before you do, allow me to share the following with you.

We get a lot of first-time builders on this forum. People who are eager to build a first ship model are attracted to the hobby for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you were captivated by a stunning model of the USS Constitution or the HMS Victory. Maybe you have a beloved relative who was a modeler. Or it could be that you just have a love of the sea, even if you've never sailed on anything larger than a rowboat. All of us came to MSW with similar motivations. Those of us who have been at this for a while not only love the hobby, but also love passing along our experience to new builders. It's a special treat to see a new modeler persevere through the joys and sorrows (and often tedium) of building a ship model and arrive successfully at the end of a build with a finished model to be proud of.

Unfortunately, many of those eager new members also turn out to be last-time builders as well. There are lots of reasons why a first-timer might give up. Building a nice ship model requires the learning of many new skills, a not inconsiderable amount of tenacity, and usually a significant time investment. Some new modelers get bored, others get overwhelmed, and some get overtaken by things like career changes, cross-country moves, babies, sudden illnesses -- that life stuff we all have to deal with occasionally. We understand those things happen. We get it.

This post, though, is written for a particular kind of first-time modeler: the modeler who takes on more ship then they can handle. Unfortunately, this kind of modeler is all too common. Bewitched by a clipper ship or sailing man-of-war, this kind of newbie believes that they can jump right in and build something similar.

Allow me to use an analogy. I'm not a pilot, but I love old warbirds. Suppose I go to an airshow and, having been awed by the spectacle, decide to go out and buy a P-51 and take her up for a few high-g maneuvers. All with no flying experience, mind you. I don't have to tell you how that first flight is likely to end up.

Sadly, many of the newcomers to MSW have a similar experience with model ships. They come brimming with pluck and determination, convinced that they can build a Constitution or Victory. In most instances, these bright-eyed neophytes wind up like the over-zealous new P-51 owner -- dead. Well, unlike the pilot, the would-be modelers are probably still alive, but their dreams of nice model ships have certainly gone to a better place.

Now, before I go any further, allow me to make a few things perfectly clear. Am I saying that a new modeler should never attempt a complicated model or that newcomers never finish such models? No, I'm not saying that. There are a few modelers who have attempted such projects and completed them, so it is certainly possible. But those modelers are very few in number. And we don't have any rules about what kind of model you can or can't build around here. If you absolutely, positively have to have a crack at a three-decker or frigate, then have at it. We'll be glad to help you along the way. But just be aware ahead of time how much of a challenge you are getting yourself into.

Let me throw some numbers at you to illustrate my point. One of my jobs here at MSW is to comb through old build logs and edit the titles of completed builds to show that the model has been finished (it makes searching for finished models easier). Obviously, as I sift through the builds I find many unfinished ones. On just one page that I was recently checking, I found twelve unfinished build logs started by first-time builders. In ten of those build logs, the new builder never made it past completing the hull of his ship. In the other two, the builder never started the model at all. Nine of those twelve modelers are no longer active on this site. I did not include among those twelve modelers any who gave a life-got-in-the-way reason for suspending their build. They're simply twelve modelers who eagerly started their project and then, usually quite early on, just gave up and quietly disappeared without giving any reasons why.

Those twelve builds all had one thing in common: each modeler had chosen a model that posed significant challenges for a first-time builder. Some of those models would have been a challenge even for a skilled builder. Simply put, they doomed their attempt at modeling by choosing a model that was over their head.

All of us ship modelers know how real the temptation is to skip an entry-level model and go straight for lots of guns and lots of sails. But here's the whole point I want to make: seriously think twice about caving into that temptation. The evidence speaks for itself - literally hundreds of abandoned build logs begun by modelers who bit off more than they could chew. Many of them not only abandoned their build, they also gave up on the hobby entirely.

It didn't have to be that way. Making a good start by honestly appraising your skill level and deciding to go with a simple first model is one of the surest ways to success in this hobby. Most true beginner models -- those actually designed for beginners and not merely labeled as such -- don't require a lot of money, time, or expensive tools. In a few weeks you'll know if this hobby is for you without having gotten yourself worked up over a model you couldn't realistically complete. And you know, most of us here enjoy watching the progress on a relatively 'easy' model, like a small sailboat, just as much as we enjoy watching the progress on an HMS Victory -- especially when we see those models being finished and proudly displayed.

And you know what? Success breeds further success. 

For more information on choosing a first model, check out the NRG modeling resources page.

Choose wisely, enjoy the journey, and I look forward to seeing you complete your first build log.

Respectfully,

Chris

As a brand spanking new builder and member I almost choked laughing when I read this, and in fact it is the very reason I joined (this post). Only a truly conscientious group, would bother to pre-warn us of the struggle to come, not unlike a coastie hailing a vessel during a hurricane "Turn back! Turn back! You idiot, haven't you seen the forecast?! No. no In fact I did not get this memo, and where were you sir when I started this journey?! Now I'm whitewash deep in rigging, crying myself to sleep and now you all have to come save me. You see what I did there? Hahaha this is going to be a wild ride, I may enjoy it I may rue the day, but I will say I survived it at the end.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Link to my build

• 3 months later...

Hello fellow modellers, I have read all your posts and as a complete novice at wooden ships I admit am totally overwhelmed by the prospect of not doing the wooden parts of any ship, more getting my head aroid the rigging. 

I have seen a number of books, dvd's and you tube videos on this subject and am just about to look at purchasing a kit to commence my journey.

In. saying that, the previous comments on the quality or details in instructions are just as frightening on a novice build as for a victory type model.

I am hoping that with the guidance of the experts on the forum I can complete my first build and, over time, increase my knowledge to be able to eventually attempt the expert type builds I can display with pride. 

Hey TJ, welcome. Go to the new member area and introduce yourself there and you will get the right start in this hobby as you meet the members. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome to MSW, Dave.  By all means do an intro.   As to a first model, best bet for a first kit would be one with no masts or rigging and then build on the knowledge gained.   Model Expo has a beginner series that is well worth looking into.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

I am not an expert on kits, but it seems that the laser-cut kit by Master Korable are setting standards as far as the precision and ease of building is concerned, judging by the various building logs here and on other fora. They apparently also require a minimum set of tools only.

I cannot speak from experience, as I grew into this hobby since my childhood, but it may be advisable, when diving into the deepe end, to takle a boat-kit first, rather than a ship-kit as ones mentioned in your post. Ships are quite complex 'beings' and it is easy, even with a good kit, to get lost, when you don't have a good feeling for how a ship is actually constructed. And once you get lost, you may become frustrated and give up, which would be a pity. Also, one should not underestimate the challenge of rigging and you may actually spend more time on it than on building the hull (particularly with laser-cut kits) - there are very few short-cuts for rigging-job well-done.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

• 2 months later...

I have just found this after trying to do some research into model ship building.

I am looking for a new hobby to undertake, but initially put of by the price of even then easier wood model kits, I had even considered plastic first. Since reading concerns about new builder going in too hard, I realised that would have been me, or I wouldn’t have even bothered buying as it would have been too expensive to turn around and decide it’s too hard or don’t like.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered Revells viking ship as this was cheap and I have a love of vikings, let see how things go. Hopefully this is a good way to start up. Please let me know what others are ideal for starters.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Mr. Skulduggery said:

I have just found this after trying to do some research into model ship building.

I am looking for a new hobby to undertake, but initially put of by the price of even then easier wood model kits, I had even considered plastic first. Since reading concerns about new builder going in too hard, I realised that would have been me, or I wouldn’t have even bothered buying as it would have been too expensive to turn around and decide it’s too hard or don’t like.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered Revells viking ship as this was cheap and I have a love of vikings, let see how things go. Hopefully this is a good way to start up. Please let me know what others are ideal for starters.

Thanks

I started with HMS Beagle by Occre.  Occre has a series of about 130 short youtube videos on how to build the kit.  Currently I am working on the rigging.  I have enjoyed building the model.  I made a few mistakes along the way, but I learn a lot and I will hopefully be finishing the Beagle and starting my next model in January.  Best advice I can give is watch the videos (probably useful for any first tall ship build even if you aren't building the Beagle) and really go over the instructions.  As I got further along in the build I started watching the videos with the instructions for that stage of the build.   This was especially helpful on the rigging.  Also, for a first build, remember you are supposed to enjoy building it.  It won't be a museum quality model so don't stress over any small mistakes.  I have a couple of lines that go to the wrong pin to be tied off, and one big mistake on the main mast that I couldn't correct.  Oh well.  I will learn from it and do better next time, but my model still looks good.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Welcome to MSW, Mr. Skulduggery.  You might consider opening your own intro topic here.    As for first wooden models....  One series of wooden ships is just really for beginners designed by David Antscherl, modeler extraordinaire, and a member here.   

There's two of these, one without tools and paint https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html

And one with tools and paint.  https://modelexpo-online.com/name

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 months later...

Some very sound advice, I'll check out the beginners stuff.  One of reasons I don't want to attempt to finish the kit Bismark my dad was doing.  I'll develop my skills whilst I source or even manufacture parts for it.  Baby steps, I'm an amateur magician (used to be coach driver so something to do with passengers)  when I asked a magician for guidance, first thing learn to shuffle a pack of  cards....  think same applies here

• 4 months later...

Great Advice. I need a break from my 1/700 scale battleship fleet and am turning to wood. I have put on hold my Model Expo USS Constitution because it occurred to me I was in over my head.  I had started a semi-scratch build of the Brig Perry (right before Bluejacket re-released the voucher kit!) and decided to go back to that before tackling a plank on bulkhead project.  

• 3 weeks later...

Although I have built models for 60 odd years, mainly automotive including some scratch builds since retiring I have built two nautical kits. I built Revell's Vasa that was a kit bash utilising many of the better defined figure works from the elderly Airfix kit. It was a bit challenging to say the least and needed a lot of perseverance to see the project through, but I managed to get there in the end. The other model was Artesania Latina's Titanic's lifeboat that was supposed to be a beginner kit that I bought for the specific purpose of learning to build in wood. Well, that turned out to be a baptism of fire! The keel bow and stern shapes were wrong, but luckily I could correct them using some of the surplus they were cut from. The clinker build was a real challenge as the strips were much too thick in my opinion to bend properly and easily. I ended up cutting strips from ply that was half the thickness in order to make the build a bit more doable. The model did get finished and I learnt a lot about building boats in wood by doing it, although I must admit wanting to throw the thing against the wall at times. A beginner kit it is not.

Chris's original post giving advice for a would be new builder is spot on in my humble opinion. Any model regardless of subject needs both time to make and time invested by the builder to gain experience and confidence.

Edited by NoelSmith

MANY members will attest to the three vessel series designed by MSW member and author David Antscherl from Model Shipways being a great way to start into our hobby.  While they are simpler than more advanced kits they are not dumbed down and many of us wish these had been around when we started decades ago.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

There have been literally millions of ships and boats since the cave man first floated across the river on his log.  This means that there is a wide variety of subjects to model.  While I agree that the three subject Model Shipways series of kits will result in attractive models, I cannot help but think that by focusing on POB kits most model builders are unnecessarily limiting their horizons.  There is no reason why an intelligent but inexperienced person cannot  scratch build a unique model.  I suggest that novices concerned about “taking the plunge” check out JacquesCousteau’s models of indigenous Mexican Craft.  ( Scratch Built Models 1900 -Present).  These models are being built by a novice using limited tools and materials on hand.  Before the Mary Rose was salvaged and studied a noted British model maker made a model of her- Two mastheads with circular tops sticking out of the water.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

6 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I suggest that novices concerned about “taking the plunge” check out JacquesCousteau’s models of indigenous Mexican Craft.  ( Scratch Built Models 1900 -Present).  These models are being built by a novice using limited tools and materials on hand.  Before the Mary Rose was salvaged and studied a noted British model maker made a model of her- Two mastheads with circular tops sticking out of the water.

That's very kind of you to say. I would note that I did find it really helpful to build the MSW Grand Banks Dory first, which gave me at least some familiarity with the basics, and I was going to build the MSW Lobster Smack but my order was never shipped (I suppose that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks ordering from ebay instead of their site).

As for scratch building, the big advantage is that you're not limited to what's available in kits. I've been able to pursue projects that are personally meaningful to me--I'm living part-time in Mexico, my wife is Mexican, and I'm strongly interested in Mexican and Latin American history--and that don't exist in kit form. The one thing I would really strongly recommend to other novice scratch-builders is to build something with plans. At the very least, it will save you a lot of worrying about whether your proportions are off, which has been a constant issue in my builds. I've decided that my next scratch builds will be based on plans, which will save me a lot of hassle. (I've already found plans for a Chilean Lancha Chilota coastal sloop, and for a Spanish lateen-rigged fishing boat like those I saw in Barcelona that got me interested in modeling, so I have those builds to look forward to).

That said, I have nothing against kits and am strongly considering doing the NRG half-hull before I tackle anything with a curved rather than a flat-bottomed hull. I'd also love to do one of Vanguard's fishing boat kits in the future, when I have more space.

Also, that model of the Mary Rose sounds fun!

Edited by JacquesCousteau

2 hours ago, JacquesCousteau said:

(I've already found plans for a Chilean Lancha Chilota coastal sloop, and for a Spanish lateen-rigged fishing boat like those I saw in Barcelona that got me interested in modeling, so I have those builds to look forward to).

I've only skimmed my copy of the latest issue of WoodenBoat magazine, but I see where there is an article in it on a gozzo (the lateen-rigged Ligurian fishing boat you've mentioned) that has been designed for yacht use with a low doghouse. I don't know about the doghouse, but the plans in the magazine look to be sufficient to build a model from. There's wide range of details on those fishing boats and you can probably learn something from any plans you can lay hands on. One of the catches with indigenous working watercraft is that so often they are built by tradition and by eye with perhaps a mould pattern or three handed down from father to son boatbuilders and drawn plans are hard to come by. 

2 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I've only skimmed my copy of the latest issue of WoodenBoat magazine, but I see where there is an article in it on a gozzo (the lateen-rigged Ligurian fishing boat you've mentioned) that has been designed for yacht use with a low doghouse. I don't know about the doghouse, but the plans in the magazine look to be sufficient to build a model from. There's wide range of details on those fishing boats and you can probably learn something from any plans you can lay hands on. One of the catches with indigenous working watercraft is that so often they are built by tradition and by eye with perhaps a mould pattern or three handed down from father to son boatbuilders and drawn plans are hard to come by. 

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out! 

Jacques, Great Post! You underestimate the significance of what you are doing. With few exceptions, producing historic models requires research, weighing sometimes conflicting evidence, and ultimately making decisions.  When you buy a kit, or plans marketed to modelmakers, someone has made these decisions for you and you don’t have the benefit of evaluating their evidence.

Novices interested in scratch building models of simple craft  should arm themselves with a copy of Howard Chapelle’s History of American Small Sailing Craft.  Plans from this book are available from the Smithsonian.

Roger

The coverage is a bit uneven across Europe, but there are hundreds of (scientific or semi-scientific) books or papers with plans. These are reconstruction plans based on documented evidence and not edited for modellers.

Concerning the Iberian Peninsula, the coverage of Portugal is pretty good (thanks also to the museum in Bélém/Lisbon), while the coverage for Spain seems to be a bit more patchy - there is no 'national' maritime museum, only the very good naval museum in Madrid, which however does not cover vernacular craft.

It may be a bit tedious to go through all the 178 pages of my literature list (https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/maritimebibliographies/maritimebibliography.pdf), but you can find there references to literature on boats across Europe and worldwide.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

The coverage is a bit uneven across Europe, but there are hundreds of (scientific or semi-scientific) books or papers with plans. These are reconstruction plans based on documented evidence and not edited for modellers.

Concerning the Iberian Peninsula, the coverage of Portugal is pretty good (thanks also to the museum in Bélém/Lisbon), while the coverage for Spain seems to be a bit more patchy - there is no 'national' maritime museum, only the very good naval museum in Madrid, which however does not cover vernacular craft.

It may be a bit tedious to go through all the 178 pages of my literature list (https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/maritimebibliographies/maritimebibliography.pdf), but you can find there references to literature on boats across Europe and worldwide.

Thanks! I had read your page on the vessels of the Albufera, which was great, but hadn't seen the bibliography page. This is really helpful!

On 6/22/2016 at 6:19 PM, ccoyle said:

This post, though, is written for a particular kind of first-time modeler: the modeler who takes on more ship then they can handle.

Well I’m glad that I wasn’t that silly. For my first build I chose the Vanguard Models Zulu which I built and was very pleased with despite having struggled with the new skills I had to learn. No, I wasn’t that kind of first time modeller. 

I was that kind of second time modeller! Excited by my success with the Zulu and suffused with as much enthusiasm as incompetence, my next purchase was the Victory Models Vanguard! It was as though I’d passed my test in a Vauxhall Viva and then on the way back from the test centre, bought an E-Type. Oops!😳

I had at least stuck with the same designer which made some sort of sense, but I quickly realised I was well out of my depth. Vanguard went into suspended animation while I built a few smaller, simpler, cheaper models and started to learn the trade. I’m still doing that and perhaps next year I’ll be ready for a 74 in 1/72 scale. Or maybe the year after…

Maybe some of those over ambitious first time modellers who disappeared are also working away in embarrassed silence. I hope so because gradually overcoming my lack of skill, knowledge and experience is proving slightly more satisfying than frustrating, most of the time anyway. 🤣 

It's that old adage at work here.  One must learn to walk before being able to run.

Ship modelling is no different to any other skill that has to be acquired, whether it be painting, pottery or any other craft the basics need to be mastered first.

I can remember a TV commercial that sums this up where an elderly lady in New York asked a workman digging up the road ' Can you tell me the best way to get to Carnegie Hall?' The workman replied, 'Lady, you gotta practice!'

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/22/2016 at 6:19 PM, ccoyle said:

Dear prospective ship modeler,

Welcome! If you're reading this, it's probably because you are ready and raring to get started on a first ship model. But before you do, allow me to share the following with you.

We get a lot of first-time builders on this forum. People who are eager to build a first ship model are attracted to the hobby for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you were captivated by a stunning model of the USS Constitution or the HMS Victory. Maybe you have a beloved relative who was a modeler. Or it could be that you just have a love of the sea, even if you've never sailed on anything larger than a rowboat. All of us came to MSW with similar motivations. Those of us who have been at this for a while not only love the hobby, but also love passing along our experience to new builders. It's a special treat to see a new modeler persevere through the joys and sorrows (and often tedium) of building a ship model and arrive successfully at the end of a build with a finished model to be proud of.

Unfortunately, many of those eager new members also turn out to be last-time builders as well. There are lots of reasons why a first-timer might give up. Building a nice ship model requires the learning of many new skills, a not inconsiderable amount of tenacity, and usually a significant time investment. Some new modelers get bored, others get overwhelmed, and some get overtaken by things like career changes, cross-country moves, babies, sudden illnesses -- that life stuff we all have to deal with occasionally. We understand those things happen. We get it.

This post, though, is written for a particular kind of first-time modeler: the modeler who takes on more ship then they can handle. Unfortunately, this kind of modeler is all too common. Bewitched by a clipper ship or sailing man-of-war, this kind of newbie believes that they can jump right in and build something similar.

Allow me to use an analogy. I'm not a pilot, but I love old warbirds. Suppose I go to an airshow and, having been awed by the spectacle, decide to go out and buy a P-51 and take her up for a few high-g maneuvers. All with no flying experience, mind you. I don't have to tell you how that first flight is likely to end up.

Sadly, many of the newcomers to MSW have a similar experience with model ships. They come brimming with pluck and determination, convinced that they can build a Constitution or Victory. In most instances, these bright-eyed neophytes wind up like the over-zealous new P-51 owner -- dead. Well, unlike the pilot, the would-be modelers are probably still alive, but their dreams of nice model ships have certainly gone to a better place.

Now, before I go any further, allow me to make a few things perfectly clear. Am I saying that a new modeler should never attempt a complicated model or that newcomers never finish such models? No, I'm not saying that. There are a few modelers who have attempted such projects and completed them, so it is certainly possible. But those modelers are very few in number. And we don't have any rules about what kind of model you can or can't build around here. If you absolutely, positively have to have a crack at a three-decker or frigate, then have at it. We'll be glad to help you along the way. But just be aware ahead of time how much of a challenge you are getting yourself into.

Let me throw some numbers at you to illustrate my point. One of my jobs here at MSW is to comb through old build logs and edit the titles of completed builds to show that the model has been finished (it makes searching for finished models easier). Obviously, as I sift through the builds I find many unfinished ones. On just one page that I was recently checking, I found twelve unfinished build logs started by first-time builders. In ten of those build logs, the new builder never made it past completing the hull of his ship. In the other two, the builder never started the model at all. Nine of those twelve modelers are no longer active on this site. I did not include among those twelve modelers any who gave a life-got-in-the-way reason for suspending their build. They're simply twelve modelers who eagerly started their project and then, usually quite early on, just gave up and quietly disappeared without giving any reasons why.

Those twelve builds all had one thing in common: each modeler had chosen a model that posed significant challenges for a first-time builder. Some of those models would have been a challenge even for a skilled builder. Simply put, they doomed their attempt at modeling by choosing a model that was over their head.

All of us ship modelers know how real the temptation is to skip an entry-level model and go straight for lots of guns and lots of sails. But here's the whole point I want to make: seriously think twice about caving into that temptation. The evidence speaks for itself - literally hundreds of abandoned build logs begun by modelers who bit off more than they could chew. Many of them not only abandoned their build, they also gave up on the hobby entirely.

It didn't have to be that way. Making a good start by honestly appraising your skill level and deciding to go with a simple first model is one of the surest ways to success in this hobby. Most true beginner models -- those actually designed for beginners and not merely labeled as such -- don't require a lot of money, time, or expensive tools. In a few weeks you'll know if this hobby is for you without having gotten yourself worked up over a model you couldn't realistically complete. And you know, most of us here enjoy watching the progress on a relatively 'easy' model, like a small sailboat, just as much as we enjoy watching the progress on an HMS Victory -- especially when we see those models being finished and proudly displayed.

And you know what? Success breeds further success. 

For more information on choosing a first model, check out the NRG modeling resources page.

Choose wisely, enjoy the journey, and I look forward to seeing you complete your first build log.

Respectfully,

Chris

Hey Chris, 

Thank you it was a good read.  Now I have no excuse for not being warned.

I've nearly completed the hull on my (POF I think you call it) DeAgostini HMS Victory so I'm the unlucky 13th you forgot about I guess. LOL

(Should change my name to "Unlucky Thirteenth" now.)

But I will embarrass myself and admit. I did wait to join and post anything on here just in case I didn't or couldn't build it to start with.

• 3 months later...

First of all thank you Chris for the intital post. I´m a "newbie" to this though even if I have a past with scale models.

I build in the past models of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, NCC-1701A, NCC-1701D and the U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864 as also the DS9 Space Station. The Runabout Rio Grande NCC-72452 and the Klingon Bird of Prey. But this are all "space ships" and not sail boats. Also I have build those roughly 25 yrs ago. The models still exist but nice stored in safe boxes. Since I sailed the Atlantic twice my love for the sea and sail yachts grew stronger so I came now to the idea that I want to build ships and not space ships anymore (even if I would like to rebuild a new Enterprise). I build a Revell 1/225 HMS Victory (more likely finished it but not to the standards I wish though) and was thinking of a Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 now. I want to increase my skills to build one day my private dream of a Hallberg Rassy 57 build from scratch (since there is no scale model of it).

Also I wish to send you all my best wishes since you live where I always wanted to live, Greer, SC. I visited a couple of times Greenville because I´m a big Clemson Tigers fan.

Kind regards,

Michael

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

4 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

Also I wish to send you all my best wishes since you live where I always wanted to live, Greer, SC. I visited a couple of times Greenville because I´m a big Clemson Tigers fan.

Well, thank you very much! I'm not actually a native of South Carolina, being originally from the foggy far-northern regions of California, which, climate-wise, is much more akin to Scotland than it is to the humid subtropics of Greenville. Let me know if you're ever in the area and I'll take you out for some amazing barbecue!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 weeks later...

I'll tell you a good model to start with that many on the forum may agree with ...

image.png.cc1a9ca1cd38d18075aff968f1654e18.png

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65