rwiederrich

Great Republic by rwiederrich - four masted extreme clipper - 1853

She looking great Rob, even viewing from closeish distance you would never know these were paper sails.

Also have you seen my post at: 

Do you have anything in your reference material?

cheers

Pat 

6 hours ago, BANYAN said:

She looking great Rob, even viewing from closeish distance you would never know these were paper sails.

Thanks Pat.  I try to replicate....not duplicate.  To create the stretching of canvas under pressure and duplicate those distortions is far beyond what I am attempting here.  A good proximity will do...so long as I maintain some structural and material accuracy.

Paper is far easier to manipulate and is closer to scale then any fabric I could procure....not to mention it retains its shape, once painted(treated).

7 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Do you have anything in your reference material?

I can only suggest you acquire a copy of Crothers book of masting and rigging American clipper ships...he has much information on the math and tables used in creating steps and construction information.  Maybe it will help.  It did for me.

Rob

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

wow!  very nice progress Rob!  ;) 

Thanks Popeye.  Just trying to make the progress I do make.....look amply significant.

Gonna loath it when I have to create and install lots of rope coils.  that will look like I'm not getting anywhere.....

Rob

Just about finished with the addition of the flying jib.

As you may notice I painted the inner jib slightly darker to give a more natural contrast and to add divercity.  Not all sails were exactly the same shade...some were older and some newer.

IMG_8718.JPG

Edited by rwiederrich

10 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

As you may notice I painted the inner jib slightly darker to give a more natural contrast and to add divercity.

Nice touch Rob. A lot of people don’t take that into consideration. Well done. 

6 minutes ago, Dowmer said:

Nice touch Rob. A lot of people don’t take that into consideration. Well done. 

Riight...thanks for the comment.  I haven't seen one image of an historical clipper where the sails were perfect and pristine.  furled sails that were not fully dry, molded and just a slight inconsistency in canvas was easily identified.

I just wanted to replicate some of that.  I'll probably have several other darker sails added to the mizzen and or spanker....to balance things out.

Rob

Very nice touch with the removable chain between the stanchions Rob. I was wondering how the flukes were going to clear and then saw that you had made provision for that very fact! The GR is so believable, in all the pictures you have posted in this build log, when I've reduce my size to scale I'm convinced I'm on the real Great Republic. Thank you for the journey. 

10 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Very nice touch with the removable chain between the stanchions Rob. I was wondering how the flukes were going to clear and then saw that you had made provision for that very fact! The GR is so believable, in all the pictures you have posted in this build log, when I've reduce my size to scale I'm convinced I'm on the real Great Republic. Thank you for the journey. 

Thanks Keith.  I too had that same question when I first saw this forecastle arrangement.

The Original Great Republic utilized some very unique differences then most other clippers of the time...namely, there were no bulwarks.  Railings and as seen here, iron stanchions and chain  were neatly employed to accommodate the many necessary functions and actions of the flush deck forecastle.

Much differences had to be made with the single flush weather deck.  Glad you noticed one such difference.

So many reasons why the Great Republic had to be on my list of models to add to my clipper collection.....there were no other clippers like her.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your documentation of your rigging process is going to be invaluable for me since I am interested in working in the smaller scale.  Everything is looking very refined.

Scott

23 hours ago, ScottRC said:

Hi Rob,

Your documentation of your rigging process is going to be invaluable for me since I am interested in working in the smaller scale.  Everything is looking very refined.

Scott

Fantastic Scott.  You're going to build in 1/128th or there abouts?  Or are you going smaller?

I fully appreciate your kind comments and I am so glad whatever processes or techniques I used can be an inspirational help to you.  Over the near 50 years of building ship models and particularly clipper ship models I have either developed, adopted or applied processes, techniques that, I feel work the best and produce the fastest results.  I've been at this for over 2 and a half years...and I can see light at the end of the tunnel now.

I'm looking forward to your application of some of these processes on your next build.

Rob