Red Dragon by riverboat - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - Chinese Junk

On my return ,my first thought was to do the "Marina ll" ...... but as you can see I changed my  mind. When I purchased the Marina ll, I also bought this Red Dragon kit . Hobbylinc had a pretty good price on it, so I ended up getting both. :P Both are different from what I've been doing . The Red Dragon kit is really not an overwhelming

chore, as you can see from the photos of whats in the box. I'm not complaining, after all it's not an expensive kit.

I will say this though, A.L. really does a nice job of merchandising their kits. The material is decent, except for the basswood ply. I like basswood, but not for keels or frames. I think the Marina uses real ply. Well anyway,

I'll post a couple pictures just to get started with this log. I'll star posting some of the build as soon  as I straighten out the bend in the basswood keel :D.... as always thanks for look'n in....

Frank

post-73-0-86874400-1467316430_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-27870500-1467316463_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-15626400-1467316481_thumb.jpg

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Frank.

Will follow along on this one if you don't mind.

I like my asian ships.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

welcome aboard Antony....... love your Turttle build

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank. I would like to follow along also as I have not yet had the opportunity to see an Asian ship come together. Looks interesting and I look forward to watching your build.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

by all means join in.......... E_J if you like Asian ships Ck out Antony 's "Turttle" build,,,, it's under Scratch Builds....

frank

USRC "ALERT"

a little up date time........ following are a couple pictures showing frame assembly... pretty straight  and forward.... all supports and fairing are done.

I'm not going to double plank this build as they suggest. I 'm really not a fan of double planking, once is enough  :P  ...... The hull width is fairly shallow  so 2 bands should be sufficient , I'll have to line her out and see how it works .Hopefully next time around   I'll have some planks laid up.

Till then..........Cheers! !  :cheers:

frank

post-73-0-15118800-1467677410_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-84222800-1467677448_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-82169400-1467677471_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-75144400-1467677492_thumb.jpg

This frame was warped out of the bx ... straighten out pretty nice.

post-73-0-10132500-1467677543_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-08479700-1467677597_thumb.jpg

Thanks for look'n in.... Frank                                

USRC "ALERT"

Off to a good start Frank. Looks like you got her straightened back out nicely. 

I have been noticing warped false keels coming out of the box a lot lately. Mine was the same way but unfortunately I didn't get it straightened out quite enough as I found out after planking. :( Oh well, it still works. I'm wondering if they are not getting packed correctly or maybe if humidity is getting to them though if that were the case I would expect to find more problems with the wood so I'm leaning towards packing.

Not a big deal just another step to be mindful of when starting out.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Good to see you back at it Frank, looks like an interesting build and knowing you there will be some tricks up your sleeve. I'd be more than happy to follow along

yeah, I k now what you mean EJ...... this was packaged real nice ,all wrapped  up in plastic too..... I think the quality of the wood is  part of the culprit '

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Don ....jump on bord .... the more the merrier!!

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank, nice to see a new good start. I understand the feeling of a new ship, the unpack and all the start period.

Wait for your log. Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

I'm going to follow along, Frank...  looks like there's open seat over there....    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Frank

Can I take the seat next to Mark please as I also wish to follow your build.

You did a wonderful job on your last build, you showed other model builder what can be done with a little bit of an  imagination and 10 out of 10 for that.

I am sure you have something in mind for the Red Dragon.

What ever you do you will do a fantastic job with this build.

Denis.

Hi Frank.

Off to a good start. Keel looks straight to me.

Ime with you on the double planking. There is no horrible buff.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hey Frank, mind if I join the rabble? I love junk boats, especially the sails.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Please do Matt, I'd be honored to have you onbord.

frank

Antony........  Yeah no buff to contend with, that's a relief    :Whew: 

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi There You Old Sea Slug,

Just when you thought you were safe !!!!!!!!!!!!! I found ya.

Mind if I tag along, I'm fairly low maintenance as long as you throw me an odd bone, at your age that's all I'm likely to get anyway.

Now I do have one question :- All your other builds have been Junked up what will you be doing to Junk up your Junko Chino ( that's what it says on the box ).

Good to see you back at the table my friend, I hope you have lots of enjoyment from this build, she's different and looks to be a lot of fun.

Take Care and Be Good

mobbsie 

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hey Tony, nice hearing from you....... you are too funny my man :P .... whats on your agenda Tony ? .... would like to visit what ever you're doing.

I thought I'd play it easy this time with the Red Dragon...... she's already a junk ,so I don't have to junk this one up.... Pretty clever huh!!. 

We should get some skype time in '

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hey Frank, nice unique model to work on.  Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one.  Nice start!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Buddy,

I'm working on an Armed Launch from Panart, it's in the kit section, I will be putting an update on soon so you can check it out of you want.

I'm sure your Junk wont be as the box illustrates by the time your finished, a lot of Frank Magic is going be used much to our pleasure and awe.

Unfortunately in my experience most of the Keels are warped and need a bit of correction, I don't know what the answer is as most are still attached to the flash, the other annoying problem is the Dowling, never had a straight piece yet, anyway you've made a great start mate and I'm looking forward to following along.

One thing mate at least you don't have a lot rigging to do, that's gotta be a bonus. She certainly looks an interesting build and I think your going to really enjoy building her, problem is that when you get a ship that gives a great deal of building pleasure it never seems to last long enough.

I agree with you about Skype time, it's been way too long since our last chat, as a bit of warning mate I'm gonna suggest tomorrow AM for you, that's PM for me. Just send me a P.M. if that's suitable or any convenient time for you, I'll be here.

OK my friend, speak soon

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I saw the other day that you had another build going.......but during my work week,  it's hard to spend time here  {i'm usually dog tired}.   looks like a great kit.......bet your think'in of doing some weathering to 'er.    do what you do best!  ;)   glad i've finally found your build.....be pleased to watch 'er grow!

warpage is a problem........most of the time,  it's a matter how long they've been in the box,  and how it's packed.   the deck stringers {beams} are a good way to straighten them out....especially since you've sen the problem early.......before you glued the stringers in  ;)    well played orange!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Frank,

Well found it. Don't know how I missed this one. Looks like the front row is already full (:-)

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 1 month later...

Thank you Mike, Denis, Michael and Edwin  for coming on board......... well it's about that time for a Red Dragon update.

Since our last meeting I've managed to accomplish finishing the hull construction, main deck and painting of the hull and attaching the main deck. I'm in the process now of working on the upper deck ,,,,,,,, the following pictures  will bring you up to date........ as always Thanks for look'n in

Frank

As you can see this is the first strake laid.... What I failed to do was to taper.... would you believe that??..... the way this hull laid out, it looked like there was no taper at all..... well , things went OK until we neared the garbord I then had to do some creative fitting :P I will never ever do that mistake again :(

luckily it turned out half way decent  :)

post-73-0-43348100-1471723414_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-26936600-1471723449_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-74462100-1471723531_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-06492300-1471723593_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-12545300-1471723985_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-95306700-1471723643_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-98497700-1471723727_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-19219600-1471723911_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-30709900-1471723926_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-06166700-1471724024_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-43637300-1471724050_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-40357700-1471724063_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-36090600-1471724107_thumb.jpg

Again......... thanks for stopping by........   

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Nice work Frank, what are you using for the deck?

Hey Don....  if you are referring to the color i used Micro Mark's "Age It Easy" gray. It works pretty good on basswood or Lime, not too good on boxwood  or some of your other woods.

frank

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"