Dubz

Continental Frigate Confederacy 1778 by Dubz - 1:64 - kit based semi scratch

Hi Dubz ! I just received my Confederacy kit.Are my eyes deceiving me or are the cannons a little too small in scale. Cheers ! John. Love your Build.

John

If you wanted to upgrade your Confed cannons then take a look at the ones offered by Chuck (your kits designer) follow Syren Model ship Co from the home page.

Nick

3 hours ago, pompey2 said:

John

If you wanted to upgrade your Confed cannons then take a look at the ones offered by Chuck (your kits designer) follow Syren Model ship Co from the home page.

Nick

Thanks Nick !

John raises a very valid question.  Especially if you opt for Chuck's lovely brass cannon barrels.  If the "real" Confederacy's cannons  were bronze or brass, that opens the door to leaving the model's cannons in shiny brass.  But even if they were iron, might not an Admiralty model have brass cannon anyway?  I have seen "museum quality" ship models in places like Saint Petersburg Russia with brass cannon.   And they sure do look good.  Check out Yancovitch's build log on page 6: 

<<Gary>>

Just to let you know, as consequence from some health issues (very big pain in the ass - kidney stones ... damn) I will be in hospital next week. But hope to get back soon ;)

cheers,

Dirk 

sorry to hear that Dirk :(   the good thing is that there are plenty of remedies out there.........just getting to the point of relief though is a very rocky road.  get better my friend,,,,,fingers crossed ;) 

I hope all goes well for you Dirk.  Kidney stones are no fun and I hope the docs get them out, you won't get any more.  

Gute Besserung, Dirk! The good news is that there is a lot that can be done nowadays against these gritters including blasting them into little pieces with lithotripsy. Hope to see you back in your shipwright soon!

Thomas

Thanks a lot my friends. I allready had stones 25 years ago so I know how much that can hurt. At the moment I'm quite painfree ... But this time they are way to big 2.5 cm and 1.2 cm and it will be a complex "open" operation :-( I guess I indeed need to drink more beer after that ... hehe ... will update you as soon as I can next week.

Dirk

Before going to hospital on wednesday I took some time to work on Confederacy.

A while ago I made some modifications to my "carvings" .. öhm .. to follow the lines of the ship more nicely, guess you will se when comparing with the older pictures.

83f02203cbbf4f33a609ba2bc8e9da99.jpg

e3b3723e68574943d5cb8ca87e403b4f.jpg

Three days ago I then decided to close the hull... I needed something rough to do and a lot of sawdust ... it was a LOT! .. Haha. 

It was a good decision as it will be much easier now to plank the hull. Also interessting to see where filler was needed as the lines of the hull at bow and stern are very complicated to sand with just the frames ... at least for me ;)

57bd07e5b786c316c4febaf4641f2722.jpg

60282dfb77d6eed895abb71c1aa99217.jpg

0077ee46ebc2055f70079f0600639934.jpg

Here are the "gaps" at the bow:

95f8d4f17eec020d2eafa51517f650a5.jpg

fa6f19eac32a06a06ba12f95923bf5df.jpg

The stern allready filled.

21e73b35cda4d044a41ea693e72b3598.jpg

The result:

875f81d09e1b8eff5ab5080d4097a86e.jpg

401207fd1301d696b3c821e43078b770.jpg

fa76bb010999658737bcf84811b6fc6c.jpg

95e15af98e01f61798e4ca788814d760.jpg

7e9feacdbf799bc034b2e292b327c566.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

I've seen that process before........haven't seen a bad outcome yet ;)    I have heard that balsa is a pain to cement to though.....are you going to seal it in some way to make it easier?   she's a beautiful model dirk.........I hope your recovery time is short....good luck my friend......fingers crossed.

...a small chuckle:

Nixon was informed before his inauguration,  that he would have to have a physical,  which would involve a urine test.   that night before the doctor's appointment,  he knelt in prayer.......

"Please god,  let me make this ONE thing perfectly clear!"

{told ya it was small.......get better soon}