Barque Stefano by donrobinson - MarisStella - 1:63

Ah... no problem guys... we have a topic for that with our resident doc...  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/474-therapy-for-shipaholics/  :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

All kit suppliers should use that dowel system, for the reasons you stated, cost would be negligible. 

Need to take a closer look at this supplier.

Stone ground mustard.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

That dowel system is very clever.  Probably a foolproof way to make sure the bulkheads are aligned and vertically and square to the keel.  Very interesting!

Great to see manufacturers thinking outside the box so to speak and coming up with better ways of doing things.  A lot of thought seems to be going into the MarisStella kits to make them better for builders - novice and pro alike.  It's a pain in the *posterior* to get everything square on some kits, when in today's world with laser cutting precision, you wouldn't think this would be an issue.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Don,

I like the dowel idea. That's an interesting, and simple, solution. Most 3D programs will allow this sort of hole through the entire assembly. 

Who do you think will be first to develop angled bulkheads in the bow and stern, like with proper plank on frame structures? 

Best Regards, 

Rick 

Rick Shousha

Montreal

• 1 month later...

Wow, that is real good news. Not so surprising though as these kits are awesome. Will be looking forward to seeing more on this

Edited by donrobinson

• 5 months later...

Hello All, Thanks for your comments, likes and for stopping by

This is Barque Stefano week for me so I will show you some progress from this morning

Today was bow and stern filler blocks, the kit supplies these in a block that is partially laser cut I finished cutting mine with my scroll saw. The stern filler block requires you to glue three 20 mm thick pieces together, then shape accordingly. The top of the filler block rises to the stern to allow for the planking or madiere, this rise is approx. 7-8 mm. This should be done first, the next profile can then be made by measuring down approx 20 mm from this edge. The last profile is made by tracing the outline of the last bulkhead from the fore side.

Blocks cut from blank

post-20628-0-72766000-1484070530_thumb.jpg

Showing the rise of filler block and how planking will fit

post-20628-0-50451200-1484071158_thumb.jpg

Showing the formed blocks, the red marker is just added to better see the lines

post-20628-0-27633400-1484071186_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-23665300-1484071216_thumb.jpg

Stern block attached

post-20628-0-52263600-1484072213_thumb.jpg

The bow blocks are much easier to make and follow the same principle, marking the profile lines and shaping

post-20628-0-00547000-1484071242_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-58643200-1484071264_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-53452800-1484071290_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-10389000-1484071311_thumb.jpg

This last picture is just to show the lines of the hull, started to fair the starboard side to show how things should meet up. Still required are two small pieces of filler on either side of bow, then start fairing tomorrow. Ignore gap on starboard side, that was fixed. Tools used were belt/disc sander, dremel and sandpaper.

post-20628-0-28970900-1484071338_thumb.jpg

Have a Good Day

Edited by donrobinson

Looks great Don.  These kits really seem to be creative in the way they make things easier, and more precise, for the kit builder.  I'm still very impressed with the dowel approach of lining up and squaring the bulkheads.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike, it is a good system. If you could handle it to see how solid it is you would really be impressed. Come on over sometime and check it out. ;)  :)

Thanks for stopping Bob, I probably wouldn't use "better", crazy may be more applicable. She is a wonderful kit and full of surprises, the quality of the contents are exceptional and the plans are second to none. If you happen to like sails, there are 34 I believe including stunning sails. Both the fore and main mast have two full pages of plans just showing rigging and sails, on these plans there is also bow up sections showing the trestle trees and all the blocking which is really going to help. If I get time I will post some pictures of these.

I would be more than happy to put a hold on mine and follow you and your build ;)  :P  :P  

Here are some of the plans, first one is an overall, second one showing how to build masts and spars and the last two are all about the rigging these are just for the foremast. The plans are all scale size so any measurement can be accurately taken off of them , I believe they are 35" x 50" and there is 14 of them. The main mast has three dedicated sheets and the mizzen has one. One sheet is all about the sails and the rest are the construction of hull and various items required. The instruction book is 36 pages which may seem small but with all the information you need on the plans the instruction book is more than adequate. It does an excellent job of outlining the various steps and is easy to follow.

post-20628-0-83629200-1484088505_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-25817400-1484088532_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-23581600-1484088557_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-35265200-1484088584_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike, it is a good system. If you could handle it to see how solid it is you would really be impressed. Come on over sometime and check it out. ;)  :)

I'd probably have to bring a parka and thermal underwear this time of year? :)

Wow, those plans look beautiful.  Lots of detail there.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Yep Mike lots of warm clothes would be a good idea. I have been running to and from my garage today  in a pair of shorts and it's -23 C. It is, although only about 20 m. from my house and garage is heated :)

The plans are really something, they don't miss a thing it's just a matter of sitting down and looking at them. A problem I seem to still have :P

It might be entertaining to see GoPro video of Don racing back and forth to his garage at -23C.  LOL

Can't believe I missed this build log.  Every time I turn around it seems like you have a new model in the works!!!  My new shop should be done in about 3 weeks.  I am eager to get back to the workbench!!!

Edited by mrshanks

Mike Shanks

Don, nice to see you back on this beautiful ship. I feel badly for your -23 degree C weather...so badly...smiley faces.

In Maui, Ian

Thanks for stopping Ian, hope you are enjoying all that heat and sunshine

Thanks for dropping in JPAM, I am just starting the planking now and should have some updates soon

Hello All, Thanks for stopping and for your likes and comments.

Well a week has gone by and I don't have that much to show, For some reason I thought I would have had lots more to show, but I have started on the planking and all is going smooth. At this stage Stefano is 810 mm long so I suppose this is maybe why it is going slower than I thought. No matter there is no rush. The transom has proven to be a little bit of a hair puller outer but fortunately with my already thinning hair there was not much to grab onto and all worked out 

The first row of planking installed at top of bulkheads, no tapering done on this strake. The bulkhead extensions are to be removed later on, therefore there is little glue applied to these points of contact with the planks. It is necessary then to pay special attention while installing the first four strakes and be sure there is adequate glue applied to their edges and proper clamping is applied.

post-20628-0-65790500-1484605891_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-56624300-1484605916_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-25672600-1484605936_thumb.jpg

The new shipyard aka dining room

post-20628-0-84041800-1484605956_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-00895000-1484605980_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-89699600-1484606004_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-89241600-1484606030_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-88217100-1484606056_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-91441800-1484606077_thumb.jpg

And here Stefano is beside the Pegasus, the Pegasus is 500 mm in this picture 310 mm shorter than the Stefano. Pegasus is 1:64 and the Stefano is 1:63

post-20628-0-19514400-1484606099_thumb.jpg

This week is the Trabaccolo,

See You All Later

Thanks Zoltan, It's been crossing my mind if the first layer turns out good enough I may skip the second layer as it is all copper plates and painted. We'll see.

Edited by donrobinson

Thanks Bob. The finished ship is 1.12 m. when finished so it will take up some shelf space!!

Thanks Pierre, you are right about the shelf but being there is no admiral at the present time all decorating is at my discretion and I have lots of empty walls and space  :P  :)  ;)

Looks really great Don.  The Stefano is a really nice size - looks like a fantastic kit that will be a lot of fun to build.

Mike

Hi Don,

Just found your build so I'll take my seat in the back row to see "how it's done"

Doug

Edited by Heronguy

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Thanks Mike, so far it has been lots of fun. Still pretty early though :huh:  ;)

Welcome aboard Doug always room for more. Back row is actually real close to the refreshment fridge, good choice in seating :P  :)