Barque Stefano by donrobinson - MarisStella - 1:63

Thanks E.J., it is my intent to build this straight out of the kit with no changes. Even though it is early in the build I don't think I'll be replacing any material as it is all excellent.

Don really great stuff there.  Your planking looks fantastic!  I too love the look of the beech.  These kits seem very nicely done.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the copper plates?  How do they compare to the Amati ones?  My MS Charles Morgan uses copper tape that you have to punch for the rivets.  I think it’s easier to apply, but the Amati plates look amazing.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike, thanks for your comment it's much appreciated. Below is a picture of Amati plates(left) and the MarisStella plates(right). As you can see the MarisStella ones are slightly larger but do have the rivets also. I'm thinking both plates should be much easier in the long run to install versus having to punch the rivets.

IMG_2943.thumb.jpg.33b983286258b84e56e0ba498bf77f9f.jpg

As you can see they are not quite as bright as the Amati ones, they have a little more weathered look which is fine with me

They look really nice - I like the weathered look too.  Kit seems to have very nice materials 👍

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That beech could make a cool deck me thinks. I'm curious how it takes stain. Natural might do very well.

I would also like to find something besides walnut. I ordered 5 different species and will be cutting sticks myself.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Good morning all, thanks for the comments, likes and visits.

Since my last post the hull planking has been completed. I stained and put a coat of wipe on poly on the starboard side to see how the beech would look, I'll let you be the judges. Next was removing the bulkhead extensions, cleaning up the freeboard(bulwarks), then carving out the stern area down to deck level. 

Here are the pictures:

IMG_2944.thumb.jpg.9d88a7a1d37d954094db3f49be9538ed.jpg

Here is the beech stained and a coat of wipe on poly. I used a water based stain and only one coat of it. another coat may have improved the look or possibly a coat of sanding sealer. Overlooking the obvious glue stains you can see it does not take stain very evenly. My conclusion is that beech looks better without a stain, should be left clear or painted, which is coming up soon :)

IMG_2947.thumb.jpg.8474dd3fabbe7982edc7d6a0b8633a36.jpg

Removing the bulkhead extensions using a veneer saw. These came off quite easily and posed no problems, the veneer saw is defiantly the tool for this job.

IMG_2948.thumb.jpg.a129d99be9a76318bfa4329a99d96d11.jpgAbout to start the removal of the stern filler block

IMG_2949.thumb.jpg.66ccf98d18e21a5dbbb2f20096fa9d05.jpgIMG_2950.thumb.jpg.28527dd9c59322258c0e75e7a5034cba.jpgIMG_2951.thumb.jpg.5d34139c181b4904058f8c149e0e65c3.jpg

Filler block removed, filler was later applied to floor and sides. The important part here is to maintain the curvature and rise of the deck, this simply done by laying a plank along the bulkhead tops and watching how it is lays. Much the same as you would do when fairing a hull.    

IMG_2954.thumb.jpg.7e2238adbff40c9da61b1b95c9557e3f.jpgIMG_2955.thumb.jpg.0bd8e21e97a8c1a40aa02b9364f226b8.jpgIMG_2956.thumb.jpg.4353859029b16d619c6220084129f7fc.jpgIMG_2958.thumb.jpg.a78fc4947268f18a8b9139c9bfa5756d.jpg

These last pictures are showing the cleaning of the freeboard, they will be eventually painted, and the fairing of the bulkhead tops. When fairing the bulkhead tops it is again important to maintain the curve and also to have a consistent height from the top of the bulkhead to the to of the freeboard.

That's all for now, next is the first layer of planking on the deck.

See You soon 

Nice progress Don.  I can see a challenge coming up for me based on what I see on your (ship's) stern.  Oh well I can least see how it could have worked out since yours looks great.  

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Your planking is superbly done, Don.  In all honesty, though, I don’t love the look of the finished beech.  Just my personal preference.  It’s a shame to cover the planking, but I think that might be the best presentation.

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Doug: You will do just fine, it is not as hard as it looks a sharp chisel does help though. I'm looking forward to you catching up to me.

Ian: good to hear from you, I'm finally making a little progress and thanks for the kudos

Bob: Just a little nasty Bob, I do know when you get your kit you will make it look a lot easier and nicer!!!;)

H.H.: I 100% agree with you. The beech looked fine, I thought, before staining but with the stain it is not appealing what so ever. I will keep using it, if for anything, it"s bending capabilities. I am still very happy and surprised how it is so easily manipulated to shape, well worth keeping on the list of woods to use. 

The beech looks quite good Don. Nice straight grain, not too heavy. Good color. It's a winner.

Never heard of a veneer saw before.

How come you have to take the filler out?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Don,

Boy, that stern filler block is an interesting bit. It seems like a good way to get the round profile though. It essentially serves as a form, then when it's served its purpose, you simply carve it out. Looks like it's balsa; I bet you're glad you resisted any urge you might have had to use some old oak that was laying around.:)

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Great work don,  and what a lovely little tool that palm chisel  havn't used one of those in years and years.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Don, let me add my admiration to the others.  Really nice job!  I’m not aware of other kits that take this temporary approach, but makes a lot of sense to me.  Another creative feature of these MarisStella kits.  

Mike

Don, I'm afraid that I won't be doing Stefano. I've pretty much concluded that at my age and current state of health, it would be biting off too much for me. Although it's too late for you and Doug, I have a thought about that stern former for future builders. If I recall, the block consists of three pieces. If, instead of gluing the uppermost part to the others, thin two sided tape were used as  the attachment, removal could be made a lot easier.

Bob

Mike: The filler block acts as a form for the planking then needs to be removed in order to plank the deck, Thanks for stopping by

David: You have it dead on David, it was balsa and I was very happy it was. It actually went fairly easy, had it been something like oak the whole ship may have ended in the trash :);) or on the shelf for a very long time.

OC: Thanks. I bought this set of chisels from Lee Valley some 30-35 years ago and up until now have rarely used them as I never took the time to sharpen them properly. I now know how to sharpen them, somewhat, and am enjoying using them now.

Mike: Thanks Mike. These kits are really full of surprises and innovations that makes them fun to build.

Bob: Sorry to hear that Bob, health is very important so look after that first. That is a great idea for the stern filler block and would have worked perfectly! A perfect example why, even if you are not going to build the Stefano, I still need you to keep watching and sharing your vast knowledge. Thanks and take care my friend.

Mike: The veneer saw is especially good in this application as it only cuts on the one side so it does not damage the bulkhead. I found this one on Amazon for around $30 Cdn. I think the beech is defiantly worth having in the workshop if anything for it's bending capabilities. This is maybe what you need for your Trajta

The veneer saw is a great tool.  I bought one to saw the bulkhead extensions after BE’s recommendation.  Not a necessity, but makes things very easy!

Mike

very nice work with the hull Don,

the planking looks nice and neat...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike: That's where I heard of the idea too but forgot to mention it, thanks for reminding me. If I remember right I ordered mine the very day B.E. mentioned it!!

Nils: Thank You for taking the time to stop in and for your gracious comment

Don:

I've just caught up to this log, and your beech planking looks wonderful.  I love the way you did alternating boards and lined up the joins.  I'm going to sign on to see the rest.

Regards,

David Robinson (the "other" one)  ;)

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Hey David, Thanks for looking things over. There is always room for more

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you are all having a good day and your shipyards are active.

I have been busy planking the hull and now the deck, two layers, for what now seems a eternity so yesterday I decided to turn my attention to something required further on in the build.

The aft cabin has a rail on top of it that needs to have stanchions, these are made from 3 mm dowel and then shaped accordingly. Although nothing real fancy or anything, I thought you may want to see how I made them.

IMG_2966.thumb.jpg.7a33002518f534462e892337df7b09f9.jpg

3 mm dowel in chuck 

IMG_2967.thumb.jpg.88b2323df1e2dcaf6c0cd81bad95657a.jpg

First cut is made, .100 from the end and .021 deep

IMG_2968.thumb.jpg.37f8cd1f3d5dd3bd9157dd8ef0f1e763.jpg

second cut made, .460 from the end and .01 deep

IMG_2969.thumb.jpg.633fc2b5cc1aae3a0d5c1769924ee452.jpg

Shaping is done using a sanding stick on the backside

IMG_2970.thumb.jpg.8db90c6b98c553b08c4c85ebdc6d60f2.jpg

Final shaping done and parting groove is cut at .560 from the end. Final parting was done with a razor saw, with lathe turned off

IMG_2972.thumb.jpg.048b094bce22d4cf657d1acc67a35438.jpg

Culling out the rejects, on the left

IMG_2975.thumb.jpg.2b57a99056ed95dddc01ce6349e270cd.jpg
Length when parted from lathe is .560 inches or approximately 14 mm, which allows for 1 mm to be sanded off each end to arrive at a final measurement of 12 mm. When I tried to make these at the exact length the 1 mm collar would chip or break so making them longer prevented this. I used a Byrnes disc sander for sanding the ends which made this part of the job very easy.

As you can see nothing out of the ordinary but it was lots of fun, and Doug(Heronguy), if you are reading, this is the reason you NEED a lathe:D;)

For anyone considering buying a mill, having a DRO(digital read out) really helps for something like this when there are repetitive cuts. It saves on mistakes and time, I would defiantly recommend buying one when ordering a mill.

You all have fun and enjoy the weekend. It's snowing here now so it looks like I'll be storm stayed for the weekend :), luckily enough the food and refreshment fridges are both well stocked!!

IMG_2964.jpg

Edited by donrobinson

Very nice Don.  And a useful little tutorial for me.  I can hardly wait 'til my lathe arrives - but I guess I'll have to order it before that happens.  Too cold here for the next month or so to work out in the shed so there is no real hurry  to order one.  Good thing our Stefanos need lots of planking - that'll keep me busy until the warmer weather.  

Prairie winter storms - I don't miss them!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Very nice Don!  They are going to be a really nice touch.

Mike

You make me want to pull my lathe down off the shelf. The one with very little sawdust on it. Your tutorial makes me think even I might be able to do that exercise.

What a nice addition to the build!

Hey Mike get it down, it is real good stress relief!

Good morning everyone, I hope all is good and you are ready for another day of modelling. thanks to all for visiting.

Well another milestone has been reached. Planking is finally complete! After approximately 1200 individual planks, two layers on hull and two layers on deck, this part of the build is now behind me. I opted not to simulate caulking as I usually don't really care for it, however, with my deck I am realising maybe I should have. Looking at my hull I thought there was enough definition between the planks but for some reason the deck is not so. It is very hard to see the butt ends and it almost looks like it maybe one solid sheet of wood. At any rate I am not about to tear it up. As of now it has two coats of wipe on poly and I will put on another two or three.

The next step will be installing the covering board or waterway which will entail laterally bending a 6 mm plank to the shape of the stern, so we'll see how that works.

Installing the planking

I used Weldbond glue, ca glue is not required for this step.  Weldbond, with a little burnishing, adheres in seconds proving to be adequate as I had no lifting of the planks after installation.

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_3006.thumb.jpg.7c81ba4ad4e08e35e91390408e5a20a4.jpg

Here is my new found plank shear, works great for cutting long angles. I recommend for those of you who have admirals to wait until she is gone before using this tool

IMG_3012.thumb.jpg.16f7e18ed5f5cff073bd59c5ba4866f2.jpg

And here it is in place, well that is not quite true as the one shown above had the glue applied to the wrong side!!

IMG_3017.thumb.jpg.99bd06bee8182fabb675de1e4c2f10bd.jpg

This is the burnishing tool I use. Simply just apiece of 13 mm (1/2") square stock. Doing this helps spread and level the glue and flattens out the plank. Sanding and  scraping was so much easier, I think I spent a maximum of 20 minutes of sanding the deck. Well worth the effort to try this if you are not doing it already.

IMG_3019.thumb.jpg.677e312d81509d059cd18a02ffa8ebaf.jpgIMG_3029.thumb.jpg.5e0290e9a0f6aa95b09cbd679623271f.jpgIMG_3030.thumb.jpg.a9e6dce66250ca0d1991bcf23d75a65f.jpg

As you can see there are no real defined planks or butt ends, but trust me when I say it is a four plank shift and all shift lines are straight :);)

That's it for today, I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for stopping by and we'll see you soon

Edited by donrobinson