Barque Stefano by donrobinson - MarisStella - 1:63

Don:

The planking looks terrific.  As to your deck, it's way above the average standard on my builds, and looks great to me.

I know what you mean about finishing planking.  Seems like it will never end -- until it finally does!

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Thanks Dave. Yes I have a mill also they are both Sherline the lathe is a 4400 and the mill is a 5400, if you are thing of buying get one of their packages that come with accessories. I also highly highly recommend getting the digital read out at the same time, it really helps with accuracy and is a real saviour when it comes to repetitive cuts.  

Thanks David, you are soooo right about it being never ending ;)

The deck looks like a dance floor!  Beautiful and smooth.  You're going to miss the planking - admit it ;)

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Hey Don - while I see what you are talking about with the deck plank edges, I still think it's a winner. I can pick up the grain running in different directions in different planks. Almost a herringbone look in places. I know you usually use the wipe on finish but I got to wonder whether a liquid applied thick might seep down between the joints and darken a little. I know when I paint the stuff over a small gap it fills up and will be a tad darker than the plank when it dries. Of course with the smooth/tight fit you've made there may not be much of a gap to fill  :D The price of a job well done.

Ditto on the Sherline products. If I just knew what to do with them :huh:

Take a break and enjoy what you've done. I want a front row seat at the plank bending station!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Doug: I must miss planking because I started planking the Pasara yesterday.

Mike: Thanks Mike. I made a rough bending board yesterday and started experimenting using soaked planks and a heat gun, the kind that are used for stripping paint. I had to quit after a bit as the wooden dowels I was using to hold the plank in place were burning, so had to stop and make some out of aluminium on my lathe(hint hint);). I will post my results when I get back at it

Good for you Don!:cheers:  By the way are you working your way through the entire MarisStella catalog?  Are you going to do a build log for little Pasara?  I'd vote yes for one.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Don - the electric plank bender I had (really just a soldering iron with a special tip) came with a thick strip of wood that had various curves carved into one edge. It's what I eventually used (minus the iron) to bend those ribs. Having something on the back side of the stick while I applied heat & pressure to the other side kept the sticks from breaking. You could easily make something with the curve you are looking for.

You probably know what I'm talking about but if not I'll post a pic when I get home.

Good luck!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Don, had to come in out of the heat in southern CA. to read up on your excellent progress. Do not have the ship plans etc. with me but would like to know what you used for the centre strip of the deck. Have decided to follow original instructions and use supplied .5 beech  for the hull, that said am seriously contemplating using the walnut 1.0 for deck and use a clear finish. Also, looks like you have painted the inside of the upper hull, do you recommend finishing deck work before plating the hull.

Thank you for your time and well taken advice,

Robert.

Doug: That's a good idea, I could have my own MarisStella show room. 

Mike: Would you mind posting a picture here?

Robert: The middle plank is 1.5 x 7 mm walnut. A walnut deck would look good too, I would change the centre board to something lighter like cherry then. The contrast would look very good. There is a certain amount of the deck gets finished before plating , but not all of it. I painted a little ahead of time as I was worried about ruining the deck.

Nothing revolutionary here but it worked. Lay the wet plank flat on top of the curve. I ran the shaft of a soldering iron back & forth on the top surface while pressing down. A couple of swipes and the stick will bottom out in the curve. It just helps keep you from pushing too hard and snapping the stick.

From what I remember you have almost a U shaped bend? Some scrap 2x4 would work. You might even have to crank up the mill. :dancetl6:

DSC02651.JPG.b1ffec472173293345413b0065a22e73.JPG

Edited by mikiek

48 minutes ago, mikiek said:

Nothing revolutionary here but it worked. Lay the wet plank flat on top of the curve. I ran the shaft of a soldering iron back & forth on the top surface while pressing down. A couple of swipes and the stick will bottom out in the curve. It just helps keep you from pushing too hard and snapping the stick.

From what I remember you have almost a U shaped bend? Some scrap 2x4 would work. You might even have to crank up the mill. :dancetl6:

DSC02651.JPG.b1ffec472173293345413b0065a22e73.JPG

I have the same thing its very usefull.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Mike: You are right I have seen that before, probably on your log. Not so sure how good it would work for edges bending a 1,5 x 7mm walnut strip almost 90 degrees. My first few attempts have not gone so well but will try again to day.

Samson: Thanks Samson, you are more than welcome to join along there is always room

Don - with those types of "molds" I had to go thru a succession of bends and molds. The bend in the mold getting more acute each time. If you have those crimping benders, put just a slight crimp in a few spots.

I'm trying to remember who told me not to try to do the full bend in one shot  ;)

Don if you can make that bend I want a full description of how you do it. Edge bending walnut that thick that much would be beyond me. Which of course is not saying much. A scarph joint might look pretty good?

1 hour ago, donrobinson said:

Not so sure how good it would work for edges bending a 1,5 x 7mm walnut strip almost 90 degrees. My first few attempts have not gone so well but will try again to day.

How about starting with a 1,5x50mm sheet and cutting out the shape you need?  I'm half serious Don.

Doug

Hi good fellows !! I have just seen this posts so I decided to fill it up with this stuff :

At this Stefano model the covering board width varies from 3 (3.5)mm to 6mm. So here is the space for forming it and cutting… It is , let say, impossible to bend it to the shape at the stern. So You have to cut it. The covering board is , in reality, composed of several independent pieces. This is not a single plank. It is put together of two or more narrower planks fixed to each other. Here AT THE STERN  is to do next: use 1,5x7mm strip and make two or three narrow strips by cutting it. Make fragments about 10cm long. 2 or 3 mm width. Then bend the fragments, glut the fragments at the round hull planking and the deck at the stern. Glue the fragments one to the other. Get the shape of the covering board as in the drawing… polish it and it is it !! So remember: the king plank (in the middle of the deck) and the covering board are NOT the single piece planks. They are composed of several narrower planks put close one to the other. They are the same sort of the planks, so in the end, the connections are not visible …

Regards, Zoran

Zoran, that is a very helpful explanation!  Thank you.

Doug

Mr. Mike... I have just illustrated and wrote a booklet about handmade molds for the shaping the strips by bending. It is a part of the Beginner set Level 3 booklet about Santa Maria reconstruction. This text needs to be reviewed before showing it around, so please for a bit of patience... Don is guilty for the English language connected with this ...

Anyway, the molds for the strips are very simple to make and it is a real pleasure to make and use them ... You will see this very soon ...

Regards, Zoran

Mike: I've been slowly trying to bend these pieces since last week but to no avail. I am going to accept defeat on this one and try a different approach. The biggest problem with bending this wide of a plank is the wood on the inside of the curve has no where to go and "bunches" up. I tried cutting kerfs in it, as you would a 2" board, but with this scale the pieces in between the kerfs chip away. I was not too confident in this method but thought I would give it a try. That's all good, lots of options left yet.

Ian: I am surprised you did not hear my description in Calgary, it was defiantly loud enough ;). As I mentioned to Mike bending is not an option for something this size and scale. Not to worry we will conquer this beast!! 

Doug: I have thought of that, and would have been done this by now, but I am saving that as a last resort. I would really like to complete this build with kit materials if possible. If it does come to it I will have no shame in using that method :(

Zoran: that was my next thought, I was a little worried about the looks but it will all be covered with the grated deck and the joint could be hid under a pin rail. I will make a bending form first then cut some strips and give it a try.

Looking forward to your booklet Zoran. Any and all help is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2018 at 4:59 PM, donrobinson said:

Hi Mike: You are right I have seen that before, probably on your log. Not so sure how good it would work for edges bending a 1,5 x 7mm walnut strip almost 90 degrees. My first few attempts have not gone so well but will try again to day.

Samson: Thanks Samson, you are more than welcome to join along there is always room

Did you give them a good soaking first before applying heat?  that might help.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

OC: I have since cut them down to 3 mm strips, I'll give these a good soaking then try again

Lawrence: Sorry about that Lawrence I've been busy lately and and not spent much time on the Stefano, this is about to change real soon

• 1 month later...

Good morning all. Thanks to all for your likes, comments and for stopping in.

A month has passed and there really is not much progress to show. Time has been spent on other little projects and of course the all important holidays. As our spring is far from starting this year the next few weeks should prove to be a little more productive, I'm hoping.

At any rate here is the progress:

IMG_3081.thumb.jpg.62a88eef46561a65302c674e461ec841.jpg

The bending problem was solved by milling some walnut and cutting to shape, three pieces per side

IMG_3082.thumb.jpg.b85d8aada203c5e890407202d1188b65.jpgIMG_3083.thumb.jpg.ab9c02511fbfd6a44b7cc3571549d8f9.jpgIMG_3084.thumb.jpg.237af79c42d57c87332a04d37120be05.jpg

The results for the freeboard, scarf joints cannot be seen but I know they are there

IMG_3094.thumb.jpg.d9792a977dfe0ed8a16583d585d30826.jpg

Scuppers drilled in hull

IMG_3096.thumb.jpg.3f41685cf1ffc33fc6561de212e2bdb1.jpg

scuppers in deck

IMG_3101.thumb.jpg.e8f0da928029b91899c11d0766a5a609.jpg

$ holes made in hull for mooring ropes

IMG_3102.thumb.jpg.6d98e141afe92d27dc84db9a428d3781.jpgIMG_3104.thumb.jpg.d4c35d3690c26b0e70c382fa43ee7f1a.jpg

Hull blocks assembled

IMG_3105.thumb.jpg.07c8a4fceeedb90eb77cc4de3c6527af.jpg

Hole started for block

IMG_3113.thumb.jpg.df45bb30374ae28322ea1cf084e0de85.jpg

Block installed

IMG_3125.thumb.jpg.405cc697362f5e2ca4de4c18285c1d56.jpgHow it looks now with two coats of flat black paint, below waterline will be copper plates.

Thanks for stopping in and have a good modelling day!!

IMG_3102.jpg

Don:

Those hull blocks are incredibly cool!

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Welcome back Don. As has been said, nice job on the blocks.  I am also still really liking your deck. That wood stands out but at the same time doesn't dominate the overall look. Great choice.

Nice work, Don!  The hull blocks are fabulous.  I noticed the Norton detail sander in the picture above.  Aren't those great?  I have three so I have a range of grits ready to go at any time!

Edited by DocBlake