Chaperon 1894 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Sternwheeler Steamer

Mike:

I was watching - here's what I did with the decks.  The main deck and boiler deck are painted with Badger Acrylic Modelflex Marine Paint #16-401 Anti-Fouling Red Oxide (same as Boxcar Red Oxide #16-14 in their Modelflex RR paint colors).  I use only Badger Acrylic Modelflex Marine Paints and use Badger airbrushes except for the occasional brush touch up.  The finger joints on the boiler deck and the upper decks went together seamlessly with just some filling of the butt joints.

The "tarpaper" on the upper decks/roofs is Silkspan meant for aircraft models.  I think rice paper would work as a substitute as I think it was mentioned somewhere on MSW that Silkspan isn't being made for the aircraft modelers now.

The tarpaper is glued down to the deck using Artists Matt Medium.  The brand I used is Winsor & Newton Galeria Acrylic Medium.  It is a think, white liquid that dries completely clear.  I used a scalpel to cut the silkspan into scale 3 ft wide strips.  I kept the scale length to 20 ft or so.  The silkspan was laid onto a sheet of glass and the matt medium was brushed onto the silkspan getting a good coat onto it.  The strip was laid down onto the deck/rook and smoothed into place.  The next strip was laid end to end with the first with a slight overlap - you want the overlap to show.  About a scale 3-4 inches.  The strips were laid down the full length of the exposed deck.  The next strips were overlapped along the length of the strips about the same as the end to end joints on the first strips.  The end to end seams were also overlapped.  Don't worry if a bit of the matt medium oozes out of the seams as it will have a slightly darker appearance that will look just like tar had oozed out of the joint.  The lower photo shows the tarpaper seams - sorry about the construction dust in the photo.  The surface was brush painted after the strips were all in place using Badger Acrylic Modelflex Marine Paint #16-413 Wrought Iron Black (Same as Weathered Engine Black [#16-05] in Badgers RR line of Modelflex Paints.

Looking at many riverboat photos show that with very few exceptions tarpaper covered the upper decks that also served as roofs.  There were sometimes planks laid out to make walk ways to prevent foot traffic from opening up leaks.  These decks were for crew use only.  Any area of these upper decks intended for passenger use had planks provided as a walking surface.  The planks in passenger areas were held together with cross wise battens on the underside - this also elevated the planks a bit off the surface to keep things dry under the planks.

I hope this helped.

Kurt

post-177-0-01658900-1470160405_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-11660500-1470161490_thumb.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

No Mike, I thought that the photo was the repaint job! Since you have sanded it all off, you now have another option- maybe.

Here in the US, red oxide primer is widely available in spray cans. Here we can buy this as a solvent based product in lieu of a water based. The big advantage of solvent based paints is that they do not raise the grain of the wood. It is often sold as auto body primer.

While, I have been mixing my own acrylic colors for my latest model, this is one application where I would use a solvent based paint in a spray can.

Using a spray can you should be able to lay down several thin coats.

Roger Pellett

Thank you Kurt for an informative reply, I am sure that will be useful to all.

Roger, I really wasn't happy with my first 'paint job' as it looked dreadful. The problem I was having is that the deck pieces are marked with shallow laser lines indicating planks. If I sanded the joints between the deck sections too hard I removed the lines. After painting the joins still showed far too much so I took the risk and sanded it all back. In fact I managed to retain most of the lines probably because I had sealed the wood prior to painting and got rid of the horrid bumps I had left.

My plan is to repaint having marked up some of the lines again with matt iron oxide coloured paint. If it still looks dreadful I still have the option to plank over the whole surface and start again.

Unfortunately I don't possess and air brush and to be quite honest I don't have anywhere I could use one safely either so it will have to be a hand brush job applying several thin coats. Fingers crossed !! I am still waiting for the paint.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thanks for that Roger but I can't seem to get it over here in the wilds of Northern Scotland!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Great I thought, the paint has arrived. Indeed it has but it is totally the wrong colour!! Oh joy! So, covering all bases as it were I have now ordered some more paint (!!!!) and some matt varnish so that if all else fails I can go back and use my original paint and cover it with matt varnish. However this does cause even more delay and I did want to take advantage of the dreadful weather we are having.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 3 weeks later...

At last some progress! I have been waiting ages for some IPA, flow improver and retarder to get some paint into this airbrush and use it. I did have a practise and it seemed OK but, with hindsight I mad the paint too thin and it 'blobbed' a bit but fortunately in areas it won't show. I am not too displeased for a first effort but had I realised how much it was all going to cost it would have been much cheaper to re-plank the thing and hand paint it like I normally would. Anyway I suppose it is a new skill learned that will improve with time.

At last though I am able to glue some bits on !!

post-10647-0-87058300-1471875887_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-98516900-1471875920_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-80682000-1471875950_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

It looks real good.  Your skill with the airbrush will improve the more you practice.  I think you will like how you can apply paint yet still see the underlying wood grain for when that type of appearance is wanted.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Patience is something you will have to learn when ordering through the internet ... some stuff take months ... it looks very good though, so it must have  worked

Cathead, I never did either, but I prefer a grouse ... famous bird in Scotland ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sorry guys but Grouse is a blended whisky. Now, if you want a real single Scottish malt Balblair whisky takes a lot of beating but, if you are a real peasant like me Jamesons 10 year old Irish whisky is as smooth as a babies bottom.

Meanwhile, I shall stick with paddle steamers for the moment.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thanks Mike for your comments and I need to make an apology to all !! Jamesons was not the tipple I meant, it was Black Bush Irish whisky which is not blended but yummy if you like that sort of thing !

Back to the boat !

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I have put the edging strip around the deck and the breakwatery bits on the front. All painted including the rear where the paddle will go.

post-10647-0-62026900-1472479115_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-61510800-1472479144_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

It's looking real good.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It's update time boys and girls !

Whilst waiting so long for paint and stuff I have not been idle - oh no!

I have been a busy boy preparing my sides ad making steps and now, at last I have been able to attach something to my hull which I seem to have been waiting for forever.

So essentially I think I have finished plan sheet one with a few modifications (thanks Kurt). I have covered some of the horrid ends of the walls with a wee bit of wood strip which up until now I haven't painted. I think it looks quite smart as is but, before I get carried away with more building, do you think I should paint them white or leave them ?

Anyway, some pictures for you and you were quite right Kurt, the lettering took some patience!.

post-10647-0-71373100-1472743242_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-24559900-1472743273_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-31889900-1472743303_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-78033500-1472743332_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-03361500-1472743362_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-91706800-1472743418_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-79093100-1472743450_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

It's looking good.  The lettering turned out real nice - I told you it could be done!

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks all for your kind comments. Mike, it certainly is an interesting build and more challenging than the other paddle steamers I have done. I think you will enjoy it and you will be able to get it cheaper than I because you don't have to deal with VAT and import charges.

By the way Kurt, the alterations you mentioned about shortening the pieces where the funnels have to go was 'sort of' included in my destructions although not very clearly. I am very grateful to have had your notes as well - thank you.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

interesting build Mike.........looks good from what I've seen so far  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mike:

The kit designer said that the fix would be added to the instructions but I have not seen the revised instructions.  Maybe they did it in house rather than sending it back to the designer who's explanation would have probably been clearer - just guessing though.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

If it helps your motivation I nearly bought your kit on ebay so that I can do it next. Have to get a better price though!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Very nice progress, Mike. As to your question, if it were up to me I'd paint those strips along the wall ends, but it's the kind of detail you have the right to decide on to make it yours.

Panama Port - silly me, I have built your boat already, I was thinking of someone else!

Anyway, Cathead you will be pleased to know that I agreed with you and all is now white !!

I have put on the boiler deck and all the uprights (Stationaries). I ignored the destructions and put the strip round the deck on first. I reckoned it would be easier as trying to bend it on boat would have been a nightmare. It also meant that I could slot the uprights in rather than put the strip over the top of them. I have also put the strips on the deck ready for the next lot of cabins. I can't decide at the moment whether to put all the bullrails on the lower deck next or leave them until later.

post-10647-0-00283000-1472914742_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-03539300-1472914775_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

very nice Mike  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch