Bluenose II by cwboland - FINISHED - BOTTLE

After another long hiatus out of country, I finally managed to get some time in the shipyard. This will be the final update in this build, as I finally got around to installing the shrouds and securing the cap on the bottle.

You'll notice I didn't install the top forestay. I didn't want to risk breaking anything in the bottle and have to start all over again.

58c8731a1ae0b_BNFinalPortside.thumb.jpg.eaa849ab81ce26f18a520151a28ff9c5.jpg

Attaching the shrouds was quite tricky, as you can imagine. I had to lay the bottle on its side and try to press the bent brass rod I was using as channels into the pre-pressed holes. Using a piece of copper wire and a lot of patience, I managed to line up the ends of the brass rod with the holes and push in the channel with another piece of wire.

The cap was finally attached using some epoxy to secure it in place.

All in all, I think this first foray into scratch building was a success, but I think I will stick with kit builds for the immediate future. Maybe I'll start a new scratch build in the future, probably the Triton section, but will have to aquire a pile of good wood to do this properly.

58c8731d5cc48_BNFinalStbdStern.thumb.jpg.ccc07d9fe7de0b0d29a26acb42c0588b.jpg58c8731868647_BNFinalPortBow.thumb.jpg.32c390c67b749648523f7352e636d5fc.jpg

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Congratulations on a great SIB.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark and Patrick. I really enjoyed building her, but like I said, I think I'll stay away from scratch for a while. Always mulling things over in your head turns into quite a headache after a while

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

9 hours ago, cwboland said:

Always mulling things over in your head turns into quite a headache after a while

Yep..  it's easier with a kit and with fewer headaches... unless you're bashing it.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Carl!
Congratulations on completing the work!
I do not think that building of the model in a bottle from the kit is easier than building from scratch. I already have a small collection of SIB building kits. I acquired them to study and, if possible, to learn something new, but I was very disappointed :(

Best Regards!
Igor.

• The title was changed to Bluenose II by cwboland - FINISHED - BOTTLE