Yacht J-class by IgorSky - BOTTLE - Scale 1/300 Finished

Wow, Igor.  Looking perfect.  And those tiny blocks are incredible.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Igor, my dear friend. Your Endeavour came out fantastic, much nicer than mine with all that details and the clean work. Only the stern is a little bit too "round and bulky" for my taste. When I built mine I used the same plans you did which aren`t the clearest. I tried to make the hull in "plank on frame technic" which was a real thrill in that scale of 1:500. Looking forward to see yours bottled. Have a nice day. Harry

Many thanks Mike. Patrick, Mark, Harry and and all who are interested in this project!

I really appreciate your comments and feedback!

Now I will try to answer you and tell you about new updates.

Are those blocks wood?

No, Mike, these blocks I make using glue. I tie the threads in knot and add a small drop of glue to the knot. Please, look at this photo:

post-17539-0-79535200-1473074245_thumb.jpg

Just our of curiosity, how will you step the masts into the hull? It doesn't look like you are using a hinge - are you using a string from the bottom of the mast through the bottom of the hull? I'm wondering because I'm doing a similar ship in an upright bottle, but still trying to figure out how to step the masts as I would prefer to avoid using a hinge.

In this project, I do not use the loops, hinges or other similar tricks. I am going to put the mast into the bottle separately from the hull. There is a hole in the deck for the mast -

post-17539-0-62820400-1473074596_thumb.jpg

Very nice work on those 'blocks'. Once again, you look like you're doing a top job on some pretty tricky bits and pieces.

Patrick, I'm trying to find a simple ways to solve many problems. Sometimes I do it :), but sometimes not :(

And those tiny blocks are incredible.

Oh, Mark, these blocks are very easy to do, but as a result they look pretty good, especially since very few people will be able to see them inside the bottle :)

Your Endeavour came out fantastic, much nicer than mine with all that details and the clean work. Only the stern is a little bit too "round and bulky" for my taste. When I built mine I used the same plans you did which aren`t the clearest. I tried to make the hull in "plank on frame technic" which was a real thrill in that scale of 1:500. Looking forward to see yours bottled.

Oh, thank you my old frend Harry!

I would like to clarify that this model can not be called as model of the Endeavour. The fact that in the beginning of this building I have changed ratio of the her hull. As I said, I made this hull at the end of 2014, but then I did not like this resultat. So I did not continue the construction in that time. Now I decided to finish it, to test the new material for the manufacture of the sea and some of my ideas.

Yes, I use еруыу drawings of the yacht Endeavour to make of deckhouses, some elements and sail, but I can not call it as the yacht Endeavour :(

Harry, can I look at the photos of your model of Endeavour?

Then I continued to work with the front sails. Some time ago I cut a lot of rings of thin wire. I used some of them to simulate the eyelets, and the rest I decided to use for the simulation of small rings, which sails are attached to the front of the forestay.

post-17539-0-43504800-1473077150_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-69573300-1473077156_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-90626900-1473077163_thumb.jpg

The idea of posting rigging boom was born suddenly for me. Feature of "bottle" modeling is that it should be possible disassembly and rigging before placing the model in a bottle and reassemble all we have made before inside the bottle.

In this project, I am going to put into bottle the hull of the model piece by piece, and then later install the mast and pull the rigging.

post-17539-0-01778400-1473077486_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-86565300-1473077502_thumb.jpg

Great job.  Without anything in the pictures to give scale, it looks like a 1:48 scale boat instead of 1:300.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Just got caught up on your build Igor, just fantastic.  I'm taking notes my friend, for my future build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Great job.  Without anything in the pictures to give scale, it looks like a 1:48 scale boat instead of 1:300.

Oh, Bob , I sometimes think that the smaller the scale, the easier it is to work, because my mistakes on a small scale are less visible :)

Igor, you are amazing!  But I swear, you must have a crew of Lilliputians hidden somewhere. 

Julie, perhaps this is true, but I cannot photograph them :)

Your rigging, standing and running, is really confusing ... so many. I would be lost if I had to set her up properly

Ha-ha, Carl! Do you think that I can without fear and confusion to look at it? :)

post-17539-0-18112800-1473162820_thumb.jpg

Piet, good luck to you in your future build!

Best Regards!

Igor.

Ha-ha, Carl! Do you think that I can without fear and confusion to look at it? :)

I like this quote. It's so true. Very often you look at the mess of lines and wonder how you'll ever get it straightened out. You do it though. One line at a time. I have no fears for you Igor. She'll make it in and looking great by the time your done.

Edited by DSiemens

• 1 month later...

I like this quote. It's so true. Very often you look at the mess of lines and wonder how you'll ever get it straightened out. You do it though. One line at a time. I have no fears for you Igor. She'll make it in and looking great by the time your done.

Many thanks, Daniel, for your words of support!

After returning from vacation, I proceeded directly to the manufacturing phase of the sea and move the model into the bottle.

Bottle has been selected and prepared a long time ago. And the first thing I did was the exactly define volume of the future "sea".

post-17539-0-11737300-1477316203_thumb.jpg

This time I had to, finally, to try out the new material for the making of the "sea".

In one of my current project it is very important for me to get a clear sea. At the same time the sea must be filled in layers and is highly desirable that this "layered" was not noticeable. To this end, it was purchased the kit of two-component silicone Encapco K and the set of pigments for him.

post-17539-0-52203800-1477319214_thumb.jpg

Portions of this silicone need mixed in equal proportions. For coloring necessary to add pigment to component A. Components are quite liquid, as compared with an epoxy resin.

So I added a little bit of blue, green and yellow pigment in a measured amount of component A, mixed thoroughly and got the desired color. Further I separated 60% colored component and mixed with the same amount of component B. The resulting composition I mixed well and filled into the bottle with a syringe with a long nozzle.

post-17539-0-15643500-1477319227_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-28372200-1477319243_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-19125900-1477319346_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-31598900-1477319354_thumb.jpg

Nice start on the water.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nice start on the water.

Bob

Thank you, Bob!

So, I continue the story.

According to the instructions this mix dries during 24 hours while respecting the proportions of components and the ambient temperature. Therefore, without special hurry, I have prepared the lower part of the hull to place in the bottle. I hung it on two threads, plunging the keel to the required depth. Still on the same thread, I just go down a small weight to finally align the hull. Thereafter, the bottle was removed from the desktop into the cabinet, not to accidentally push her.

post-17539-0-91371200-1477378443_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-59143000-1477378453_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-38530600-1477378461_thumb.jpg

About a day later, I started to fill the second layer of silicone. I mixed the remaining 40% of the colored component A with an equal amount of the component B and the resulting mix I filled into the bottle. The surface of the "sea" was almost flush with the line cut of the hull along which is going the waterline.

post-17539-0-61200400-1477378983_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-87208200-1477378991_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-61416400-1477379001_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-73484500-1477379008_thumb.jpg

After waiting during another day, I realized that I did not receive the required level of transparency :(. That is, if I look at the top or bottom, the result is not bad, but when viewed from the side, the hull has been not seen through the "sea" as much as I needed. You may need to do the color is much less intense and do not use more pigments. In parallel, I quickly made another small project, for which I used this material. But has been used quite a small amount of silicone and "sea" was more transparent. T .e. was identified the need to continue to experiment with this silicone.

Well, while I continued to work with the "sea". The next step - an imitation of the waves with the help of clear acrylic gel.

post-17539-0-75409200-1477382068_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-96858400-1477382076_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-20447500-1477382083_thumb.jpg

Thus, the gel was applied and, while the "wave" was drying, I proceed to the finalization of the process preparation of rigging to accommodation the top part of the hull into bottle. Firstly, it is necessary to fix those ends of the cut and the rigging which should be originally fixed on the deck. Secondly, I need to separated all parts of the rigging, at the same time making drawing assembly scheme and to mark these yarns in accordance with this scheme.

post-17539-0-43365300-1477383163_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-39160000-1477383172_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-25154700-1477383179_thumb.jpg