Olympic 470 by DSiemens - Bottle - Finished

This is a quick little build I had to do in a hurry.  Eventually I plan on doing another one.  Any way here's the story.  A member of the European Ship in Bottle association reached out to ship in bottle builders in another forum and asked for help with a special project.  The Royal Yacht Association was holding a ball to raise money for the British sailing team.  The ball included an auction.  The association wanted memorabilia signed by the athletes that could be auctioned off.  Some one had the idea of getting a bunch of ships in bottles together and having the sailors sign the sails.  So the association reached out looking for modelers who could quickly put some ships in bottles together.  They got plans together and sent out sails for the boats we were to build.  I had originally thought about doing a star class since I think they are great looking boats but since those were no longer in the Olympics I went with the 470 which is pretty close to the star.  The sails I received were signed by Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark.  Both incredible athletes and great sailors.  

_62132164_470.jpg

I carved this hull two or three times trying to get it right.  It's got some interesting curves.  I couldn't find any rel plans for it so I had to rely on a lot of photos and make my best guesses.  

post-9-0-22856300-1460608844_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-01824400-1460608874_thumb.jpg

Behind this is my original sail plan.  It was scrapped when actual sail plan came in as was this carved boat.  The plans I received with the signature were a tad smaller.  Enough though that I had to start over.  

Edited by DSiemens

Painted Hull.

post-9-0-22798900-1461045228_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot with some more details and the signed sail plan.  

20160611_141437.thumb.jpg.d9b4a4e0ee95eb

I got creative on the painting.  I went with a mixture of the London 2012 olympic look updated to Rio 2016.  At this point I don't know what the Rio boats will look like.  

20160608_225735.thumb.jpg.956ea344179561

Boat ready for bottling.  I used some real thin thread for the stay lines.  The cables on the real boats are very thin.  Also the lines used in the boats are all sorts of different colors.  I assume it's so the can quickly know which line is which.  This added some fun contrast to the boat.   

20160614_224714.thumb.jpg.60e0ad519e4607

20160614_224704.thumb.jpg.5ba73500cd5260

20160614_224704.thumb.jpg.30426d5497f0de

Oh yeah.  If your wondering how it's hanging in mid air I ran the fore stay up through the top of the mast instead of through the bow like I usually do.  It goes to show how thin the thread I used is.  

Bottling didn't go quiet as well as planned.  The sail came loose and I had to try to get it back together in the bottle. It didn't quiet make it but after messing with it for three hours I figured it was as good as I could get it.  I contemplated taking it out and redoing it but with such a tight deadline I left it as is.  I know what I'll do differently with the next one when ever I get around to it.  

20160615_070226.thumb.jpg.b268cff4d1962c

20160615_070229.thumb.jpg.de59825e22ac57

20160615_070232.thumb.jpg.cdd21f601a2144

20160615_070221.thumb.jpg.b15813f9f2a3c0

Wow.. super nice masterpiece, Daniel.   I trust it's on it's way, then?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Patrick.

Mark it's off and sold already the ball was on July 4th. I'm still waiting to hear back on how it all went.

Exceptionally clean, simple and very beautifully executed.  Kudos to you Daniel.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 1 month later...

Daniel,

Lovely job, I don't have any details yet, however a quick email from Alan R says that there were 15 SIBs donated, including a number from outside of UK. Over £2000 was raised and the SIBs 'caused a lot of conversation' at the ball. I'll make a point of obtaining some phots and uploading them.

Many thanks again

I'll be finishing off my own build log soon.

Regards

Alan

Edited by exwafoo

Thanks Alan and Piet. I would like to see photos of the ball if you have any.

I'm happy to note too that Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark won gold in Rio. Makes this build all the more special.

Nice Work, Well done she looks great 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/