Scharnhorst by CDW (Craig) - FINISHED - Dragon - 1:350 - PLASTIC

Life has been getting in the way of modeling time recently. But hey...I have learned a lot about how to operate my new car! And that has been no small feat (for me). Notice I said a lot, not all.  ^_^

I now recall that I used to buy two models of each kind that I really liked. One was to build first and make my mistakes on, the second was to really put some effort and correct my first mistakes. Building this model reminds me all too much of why I did that. There are so many things I would do different if I had it to do all over again. But it's often hard to see these little snafu traps in advance the first time around.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of where i am right now in the construction of this ship.

ZHCeX3p.jpg

vqj4j0C.jpg

She is looking Realy nice and that deck looks so sharp,  I understand what you mean about noticing ones faults,  thats why I have re - done the hull as I can see areas where I can do them better - and I attempt to.

Keep up what you are doing she is looking Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

She does look great! I know that feeling when you are reaching the end of wanting to be done and move on. I have said the same of wanting to go back and rebuild models from the past. Only actually done so twice now. Both times I was far happier with the results but I had learned a lot since the first go around. You have done a fantastic job on this one. If you ever choose to go back and build her again we are truly in for a great treat!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Looking Superb  - realy stands out sharp and tidy.

OC

Current builds  

Completed works.

I bow to you Sir!

I once started this also...Artwox, barrels, pe...the whole lot. The pe brought me on my knees.  :(

Really great build...really...really cool!

Robin  :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

I must make a comment about this particular Dragon model. The instructions are terrible. The included painting references are terrible. I was remiss to not have collected and studied good reference material ahead of time, and as  long time modeler, should have known to do that.

But the instructions are particularly bad with this model. As good as the model is engineered and manufactured, it's a shame they didn't do a better job on the instructions and painting references. Too many things are left up to the imagination or school of hard knocks. 

Otherwise, it is a beautiful kit. And I do recommend it to experienced modelers. Modelers with little experience, no way.

I must make a comment about this particular Dragon model. The instructions are terrible. The included painting references are terrible. I was remiss to not have collected and studied good reference material ahead of time, and as  long time modeler, should have known to do that.

But the instructions are particularly bad with this model. As good as the model is engineered and manufactured, it's a shame they didn't do a better job on the instructions and painting references. Too many things are left up to the imagination or school of hard knocks. 

Otherwise, it is a beautiful kit. And I do recommend it to experienced modelers. Modelers with little experience, no way.

QFT  :P

It's a bit of a Dragon issue it seems...superb molding, but my goodness how they can f up otherwise...geez!

An example...their 1:32 Bf 110D-3 (that's a plane....sorry :( ) decals...horrid...a disgrace! lovely kit, but....pfffffff! 

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Massive MP cameras that can crop - in - in - in  on a picture are not that great for our boat building, its bad enough scrutinizing our work under a magnifier, but to then zoom in even more is not good I dont think, its best photographing them at the same scale we view them in normal life.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

You know that Dragon just came out with a 1941 version of this ship, whereas this one is how she was configured in 1943 just before she was sunk. Last time they produced the 1943 version, they didn't produce any more and let the stocks deplete. I am tempted to buy a 1941 version now as in a year or two, there might not be any more available and who knows when they will release it again.

It seems some companies have found value in making their product scarce. Sounds weird I know, but that's what some are doing. Unlike older days when Revell, AMT, Lindberg, Hawk, Airfix, and Monogram would release and rerelease their kits for ages. They are still rereleasing kits I bought when I was a kid more than 50 years ago.

• The title was changed to Scharnhorst by CDW (Craig) - FINISHED - Dragon - 1:350 - PLASTIC