James H

Model Ship World is 10yrs old!

Good day folks,

It only just occurred to me that Model Ship World began in June 2006, as a site that was only built to replace the old broken code of the old DryDock Models forum. So, here we are now on our 10th Anniversary. Starting out as a humble phpBB forum on a hobby page hosting package of around $10/month, we quickly gathered pace with new initiatives and a whole raft of new members to create this lively and thriving forum we see today. Our old hobby hosting eventually became out of date, with us moving to a virtual private server, and then onto dedicated hosting a few years ago. In 2013, the unthinkable happened when the whole site died due to a hard disc failure. Our host hadn't set up our backups as was requested, and we had to start from the embers of what was left. With our new software, determination from our community, and hard work from all involved, we came back with an even higher membership, buoyed on by the spirit and camaraderie we all have.

Last year we of course became a part of the Nautical Research Guild, and have gone from strength to strength. It's been a bumpy ride in places, but here we are today in a position of strength and influence.

Thanks for tagging along with us here at MSW, and here's to the future.

MSW as it looked in 2006

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-31%20at%2011.45.

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-31%20at%2011.51.

Congratulations to MSW! A huge thank you to all the people who have and continue to work hard keeping this site going. I wish I would have found this site much earlier but I am proud to be a part of it now. Here's to many more years of ship building in this great community!

This site and community have really contributed to my life the last few years, helping me rediscover a long-buried interest in nautical affairs and showing me a whole new realm of model building that I've since embraced. I joined NRG this year and am so grateful to the admins and other folks who keep this community running.

Congratulations on your/our first decade! May there be many more. A huge 'thank you' to everyone who has made this possible: moderators/administrators, the NRG, sponsor companies, and every single contributor. Hats off, ladies and gentlemen!

Some birthday celebrations are worthy of celebrating with all celebrants wishing for many more in the future, this is one of those Birthdays.  I thank all who contribute, tolerate and assist all members and add special thanks to those who created and maintained this site in the past and those who have picked up the torch.

jud :pirate41:

Happy Anniversary NRG MSW.

To all the moderators and admins doing a hard work and with dedication keeping this forum running, I take my hat off and bow to you - Thank You!

Edited by Nirvana

Well done everyone, LOL my thanks go to the members who give the admin staff and moderators something to do, im grateful to have been around in the forums for a good few years now

Edited by Kevin

My goodness..  10 years already?  How time flies when you're having fun doing something you love.

My hat goes off to the members for all their contributions and to the admins and mods who keep things running smoothly.   Everyone deserves one of these...  :cheers:

Edit: stupid typos.. need more coffee.

Edited by mtaylor

My,doesn't time fly. I joined MSW 1 in '07,still remember my old membership number 2001. May we have many more years of this superb Forum,I have learned so much here.

Dave :dancetl6:

of all the different site I've belonged to,  MSW has made me feel so much more at home.   the folks here and the staff are the greatest,  and collectively,  I think we have a forum that is first rate!  thank you MSW.........may we continue to dabble in the art!

Congrats to all whom have toiled behind the scenes and to the many members whom have supported this site for the past decade.

I believe particular thanks should be given to Jim and Jim Senior for the foresight and hard work put into getting the site off the ground, and also for Chuck for the tireless effort in keeing the site up and running and relevant.

Happy Birthday MSW!

Pat 

Our modelling and knowledge is better because of MSW, and, hopefully our patience improved a little bit too as a result of this EXACTING hobby.

Artisans we are.

Thanks MSW, and Happy Birthday. 

Martin

Edited by MartinB

Seems like just yesterday in some ways, then I looked at some  photos and news from ten years ago.  Had more hair on my head than I could actually count.   my Pittsburgh Steelers won the Super Bowl and MSW started, so a good year all around.

Allan