What is this Called?

mikiek

post-22218-0-77250800-1470025371.jpg

The upper tackle is frapped. What is the technique for the lower tackle? How is it done?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

The two ends are cow hitched. Its possible to laboriously reeve the line all the way through the entire tackle, but in this case all they did was take the hooks off, cow hitch, then put the hooks back on. But let me share my opinion about using photos of museum ships as reference: Little kids love to play with the rigging on museum ships and if allowed to would cast off every coil and tangle all the lines. So museum ships do things like the technique shown in the photo to keep the lines secured. This is NOT how an actual carronade would be found rigged on a working ship. Also that whit line hanging down is poorly coiled, a real sailor would never allow the coil to touch the deck.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Good points Frankie. I'm considering frapping the lines on my Niagara guns. Just wondered what the other method was. While frapping looks pretty good at smaller scales I suspect the cowhitch thing would not. Too hard to get the lines to lay right.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo