A Stern Wheeler by Keith Simmons - no plans - 1/4" = 1' - Finished

Hi everyone,

After seeing all the great paddle boats some folks are building out there, I decided to attempt one myself. Not sure if this build log will help anyone, but I hope it inspires someone to just build what they see in their head. I am a firm believer that the skills we all possess ( being Model Ship Builders ) should allow us to think out of the box and let our imagination run amok..... ;)  Anyway, enough sermonizing.... :D

Once I decided on the scale, I ripped some red oak on the table saw for the perimeter frame of my deck, Then I ran a bunch of southern yellow pine for all the joists and cabin framing. Having spent my 20's and 30's as a custom home framer this project looks like a no-brainer. We shall see... :(  I guess I am still looking for that masterpiece as I'm sure we all are...

Now for the details so far. The hull will be 36" long by 8" wide ( not sure what style it will be yet ) but at least I know what I want the cabin structure to look like.So started to go ahead and build the walls. At this point, nothing will be attached to the deck so best to plank the deck and work on the cabins separately ( that piece worker mentality again,,,lol ).

As you can see the coping saw sitting there, I also have decided the the only power tool I will use on the boat is the table saw ( why make it easy.... :P ) Hope you follow long, it could be a wild ride.... :o

Thanks for looking in,  Keith

post-24231-0-83983500-1470072548_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

A quick progress report, computer kicked me out ( on a roll ).... :)

post-24231-0-70131800-1470073436_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-71412500-1470073447_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi all,

Almost done with the cabin framing, guess it is time to start the hull. At least I can work on siding the cabins and trim while the hull is clamped up.... ;)

Thanks for looking in,      Keith

post-24231-0-60532400-1470222456_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-26633100-1470222468_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Nice! I really like where this ship's heading. The framework for the cabin looks spot on.

Here's a thought. Would you consider keeping one side un-planked, thereby allowing the internal framework to be viewed?

Seems like a shame to cover it all up.

Cheers

Patrick

looks to be a real neat project Keith  ;)    one stack or two?    I tried to run the spiral staircase around in my head.........do you have a game plan to form the side rails?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I am going watch this as well Keith. Is it your own design?

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi guys,

Patrick, I hadn't planned on showing the framing, but I think the window sizes on the second story will allow a view of the frame. I am considering your idea but afraid I would have to do some interior work. Leave it to you to make me do furniture... :D

Popeye, I plan on a 2 stacker at this point. The plan for the main stairway is to mock up a wall system and laminate the desired curves for a grand staircase. Have done many of these in real life, just not sure if the technique will work on such a small scale. We will see what happens.... ;)

Yes Mike, my design is based on the idea of a " showboat ".   The fact that I design on the fly usually means anything can change at anytime. But, at this point I'm pushing on with the original idea..... :)

Today is going to be the make or break day. The rail system will determine where I go from here.

Thanks for the likes and comments guys, I really appreciate you looking in  !

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

More then interesting build Keith, when I look at the height, she seems to be a bit narrow in the beam, or is that an optical illusion ...? I like your framing a lot, and, as Patrick wrote, it would be a shame to hide it all. The windows would be a solution, will you be installing lights ...?

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

More then interesting build Keith, when I look at the height, she seems to be a bit narrow in the beam, or is that an optical illusion ...? I like your framing a lot, and, as Patrick wrote, it would be a shame to hide it all. The windows would be a solution, will you be installing lights ...?

Cheers

Hi cog,

I thought she looked a bit tall also, but according to the scale I'm working in the beam is 38' and the length of the hull is 142'. Not sure what the ratio should be, but that doesn't matter in my world.... ;) . Considering she is going to be a showboat I went with 10' ceilings for the first floor ( warehouse and engine room) and the second floor theater. Then back down to 8' ceiling for the pilot house. Hopefully she will look more proportional once I add the trim and rails.  I am considering lights if my furnishings are good enough to allow them..lol. I have decided to take Patricks' idea and leave the starboard side open which creates a whole bunch of extra work.... :D

Thanks for your comments, we shall see what we shall see..... :)

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Good start. Nice frame work on the deck structures.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi all,

After finishing the cabin framing I ripped down some more pine and Bubinga for siding , trim and deck. I decided to work from the top down since each section will be removable ( I hope ). After cog noticed the height problem overall, I took a second look and eliminated the top pilothouse, then rebuilt the third story into the wheel house. Thanks cog for the input, it made for a better proportioned look... ;)

The plan now is to finish up exterior details and start on interiors such as theater which will have a carpet insert surrounded by Bubinga aisles with seating and a stage. Already started on the engine room and trying to figure out what to do with the warehouse section.

Anyway, this is what I have done so far, Hopefully I can stay on track and keep this build going as intended.... ;)

Thanks again for looking in and your comments,   Keith

post-24231-0-62472100-1470731914_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-80657400-1470731927_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-85318100-1470731941_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-29742700-1470731958_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-71763300-1470731976_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-23804500-1470731990_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-31256100-1470732001_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-36378600-1470732014_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-49763400-1470732030_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Amazing work, she is going to look splendid.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Keith,

Your a visionary.

I still believe a group of leprechauns arrive at night and build whilst you sleep. Would you be having a wee bit of Irish blood?

Like whats lurking in that head of yours.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Hi guys,

Thanks you all for the comments and likes..... :)  I was having a hard time with the reason why the starboard side was unfinished then it occurred to me " it is still under construction ". So I went ahead and built some saw horses and now it makes sense to me... ;)

Thanks again for looking in,

Keith

post-24231-0-41819500-1470773031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keith Simmons

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Howdy guys,

Went ahead and built the hull, Kinda cool that I only had to finish 1/2 of it.... :P . A big day today,  I am starting the rail system and once that is done onto the main feature ( the wheel )... :) .

Anyway, things are clicking along so I guess I should start thinking about my next ship/boat.... ;)

Thanks for taking a peek,      Keith

post-24231-0-06301400-1471005426_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-38789500-1471005443_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-68137200-1471005463_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

An interesting way of building from the top down! I can't help feeling that the skipper of this vessel is going to have one hell of a headache by the time you have finished half a hull ! He must be getting dizzy already in his little wheel house.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

amazed at the progress you have made  :)     you could have stopped with the saw horses.......and the diorama would have been fantastic!   you've done a super job!  :)    the build is coming along great.........just goes to show the true depth of your imagination  ;)

never stop to amaze!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

amazed at the progress you have made   :)     you could have stopped with the saw horses.......and the diorama would have been fantastic!   you've done a super job!   :)    the build is coming along great.........just goes to show the true depth of your imagination   ;)

never stop to amaze!   ;)

Thanks popeye,

I really appreciate everyone's comments and likes.  I have actually finished her exterior.... ;) ... just have some interiors do figure out...... :huh: .... I will get post some progress pics soon... :)

Thanks again,   Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi all,    

Finished the exterior of my showboat, just have a couple of interiors to tighten up....This was a fun one... :)

Thanks for looking in,   Keith

post-24231-0-09468200-1471558083_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-87336400-1471558103_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

what!   why the party's just begun! ..........and your finished :huh:     how did you make the paddle wheel?  the stacks?  ........I dunno........doesn't seem like a complete build log to me.   of course I'm fool'in around,  but if you could elaborate on these points......I think folks here would love to read it  ;)

it's an amazing model keith....no doubt about it.    from the push pin railings {is that what those are?},  to the futuristic design......you've definitely built a winner  ;)    beautiful job my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She turned out very well. I like the different colours you used, the planks, saw horses ... a terrific job. When you look at the hull, she looks to be build for speed ... a pitty we missed out on some parts of the build as popeye wrote ... it would complement your build log. Still a marvelous build!!!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...