Is This Doable and Still Be Correct?

I am building my first model, a 1:35 version of a 1934 J-Boat.  I'm not quite finished with the first planking on the first side.

As I reached the point where the instructions say I need to move to 2mmx2mm strips to do the keel, I started wondering if I could instead make a mahogany wood laminate keel.  The problem I have found with the 2x2 strips is you have to bevel the edges considerably to close up the joints.  A solid laminated keel would work much better and probably look better.

I got this idea from builds I have seen like this:

sphinx-202.jpg

What I'd have to do is plane or rasp off some of the existing plywood keel so I could insert the laminated keel.

Endvr_91.jpg

The easiest way would probably be after the final planking is done but then you can't insert pins into the hull to which you could band the laminate down.  If the laminate is installed after the first planking, every plank on the 2nd planking would need to be trimmed to butt up against the laminated keel.  But that's not a deal-breaker, it just takes a bit more time.

Anyway, my 1st question: Is this a better way to go about creating the finished keel than what the directions say?  Aesthetically, I think it would look pretty impressive but I don't know if it would look correct.

My 2nd question is has anyone done something like this?  If so, how did it turn out?

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I can't say it's correct as I'm not familiar with these vessels.  But the one piece keel that you have mocked up does look impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That was just three strips of unglued mahogany.  Before I could actually form it into a laminate, I'd have to shave down the plywood keel.

I think what I'll do is plank the other side as far as the first side was done and then take another look at adding the lambeam keel.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I saw the answer you got in your log, Julie.   Keith gave good advice... Go with what you prefer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As for the second question.  Most of my boats have been built by adding the keel after the planking if finished.  I place wood pieces across the deck and use rubber bands to hold the keel.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks, Bob.  I know I have a lot to learn but I want to make sure I get this right.  The instructions alone can't answer my questions so I am always appreciative of any help I can get here.

Julie

Hello Les here. I have been a finishing carpenter for 25 years. I have done a lot of work with wood and other laminates. The problem arises when you have to cover a compound curve. It can't be done without great difficulty because you have to  slice  it and cope the curves to make it fit the hull. Glue up without big problems is hard. Ship builders use planking to correct for the curve of a hull. I tried this method with a Dumas Chris Craft runabout. I cut larger strips from old growth mahogany soaked them good and tried to do the job. I had to cut them down to kit size because they wouldn't conform to the hull. The only way to get a solid perfect hull is to carve one out of stock. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Les.

I would only be running along the edge of the keel.  I've made up some thin strips of mahogany that conform well to the keel edge.  But I will need numerous clamping bands to hold it in place while it dries.

A few years ago I was remodeling our kitchen.  I wanted to do something different over the cooktop so I made up a jig to bend up some wood.  I took a piece of jatoba, resawed it to bendable thickness, planed it and then used the jig to form it.

bentlam_01.jpg

bentlam_02.jpg

This time, I will use the model itself for the jig.  I will just need a lot of clamps!

Julie

Hi Les here. If you plank the hull and apply the keel later it should work out if you file the hull planks very carefully so there would be a seamless transition to the hull to keel application. So when you glue up the keel it looks as if the planks have been faired into the keel. With this application you could apply a deeper piece of non laminated keel then sand it to shape. Please disregard previous note.