USS Kearsarge by Homebrew - Scientific Models - Scale 1:90

Hi,

I purchased this model on ebay about 10 years ago and started the build in 2007. I worked on it regularly till work got too busy during the year.

Now I want to finish it.

There are a few broken pieces to fix and reattach, otherwise i is in great condition.

It looks like I was working on the rigging when I left her in drydock.

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

post-14780-0-15150600-1470652220.png

post-14780-0-33379500-1470652228.png

post-14780-0-05646800-1470652239.png

post-14780-0-63003800-1470652256.png

post-14780-0-19099400-1470652271.png

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

HMS Supply - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:56

USS Kearsarge

Well she is in fine shape for spending 10 years waiting in dry dock. I don't see anything that can't be repaired. I'll follow along and watch you finish her journey.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I dug out my old notes including a 3 part journal article in the Nautical Research Journal.

One photo from the articles shows the rigging error might be correct.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

post-14780-0-51400300-1470811711_thumb.jpg

post-14780-0-51305900-1470811714_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

Always nice to have a good shipmate along with you.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

While I decide about the rigging I started to read more of the NRG Journal. The author has a discussion about the forward gun.

The kit supplies a 32 pounder, which I thought was unusual to site in the middle of the deck rather than on a bulkhead but I figured it was stored there while not in action. I had no idea how to rig it in that position. Anyway it seems more likely that the gun was a much larger rifled barrel piece as shown in the journal image below. So I'm going to replace the 32 pounder with a more likely gun. I will make the gun from the handle of an old paintbrush, then make the carriage from wood cast-offs.

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

post-14780-0-92872000-1470965821_thumb.jpg

post-14780-0-91699200-1470965825_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

My model workstation was attacked by the cat.

Unattached model pieces were knocked to the floor then scattered. A similar fate affected the tools. 

Fortunately the model itself was only knocked over on its side, so it suffered only minor damage. 

It is annoying because of the time it took to collect all the fittings, blocks, etc, and even then I'm not sure I got them all.

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

Cats are the bane of model builders everywhere.

Glad to hear nothing major was damaged. Hopefully you can get her put back together and continue on without too much lost. If you have a small vacuum, empty the canister of any previously vacuumed debris and vacuum the area. That is haw I have recovered many a lost block and eye bolt from the floor.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I like to model while listening to the audiobook series of Aubrey-Maturin by Patrick O'Brian.

The one I am listening to at the moment is book 3 - H. M. S. Surprise. It is read by the soothing voice of Patrick Tull

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

ps. 

Still ratlining

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

I am actually reading those books myself right now. About midway through the second. I did not think about listening to them while I build. That is a great idea. May have to give that a try.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

No dramas with CA glue if any used?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Scott,

Yes I have had problems with CA.

I need to use CA to glue the metal pieces in place to the wood parts. I prefer to use a thick slow setting CA, but this wouldn't stick the metal deadeyes I needed to use a fast setting CA. I find the fast setting CA too runny. It gets away from me so I always put a dab of the the glue on a card then use a toothpick to place the glue where I need it. However, twice now I have accidentally glued my thumb to my finger very solidly, and I no longer apply the CA directly to the toothpick because I kept glueing the toothpick to my fingers.

I use weldbond for wood glue, but I have found CA invaluable for the metal parts.

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

I am progressing on the Ratlines. 

There are 6 larger shoulds, and 3 sets of top mast shrouds.

So far I have only finished 2 of the larger shrouds - so maybe 25% complete tying knots. I have yet to trim the excess, realign them to be neat & tidy then glue each knot in place. 

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania.

post-14780-0-92629800-1471907309_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

Good start on those shrouds. Tying all those knots can become very monotonous and frustrating but as one of the most recognizable features of a tall ship they do make a great sight when complete.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I found this awesome build log while surfing through this forum - sorry I did not record who originally added the link. I did not realise how good the link as till much later by then I had moved to other topics.

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/t631f302-U-S-S-Kearsarge-um-almost-Fullscratch.html

By the way - how do I add a link without retyping it?

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania 

Edited by Homebrew

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

Ahoy shipmates,

A sore arm halted my progress on the ratlines, so I have spent my time today on the BowSpirit.

It was a lot of fun. 

I also belayed the anchors, one has a more nature lie than the other.

I hope you all had similar progress this weekend.

post-14780-0-67664500-1472978856_thumb.jpg

post-14780-0-89023900-1472978930_thumb.jpg

post-14780-0-89616400-1472978970_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

Your bowsprit looks nice. I have always found it to be one of my favorite pieces of a ship. It seems to have a proud defiant nature about it as it juts out over the bow. It appears to defy gravity and and make a bold statement of daring someone to approach.

Or maybe I'm just a romantic when it comes to ships. :P

In any case, your work is looking fantastic. Great job!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry to hear that! Something similar happened to my dad many years ago when his Constitution came under attack by an unnamed 3 year old.... :rolleyes: Even on my own builds I have snapped off yards and lately I have been breaking the delicate carvings that I am working on. It is extremely frustrating and like you say, breaks the rhythm. Take a break for a little while if you need to but, I hope it doesn't keep you from finishing this build as you are near the finish line and doing a great job.

If cat attacks are a common issue or may repeat in the future, you could always make the models of just the hull as it would appear after launching and before fitting out. Instead of masts, you could always use launching flags. This is also a good practice if the rigging is just too overwhelming.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thank you for your encouraging words, EJ.

Our local model shop closed down recently so I picked up a model with the aim of kickstarting me back into the hobby.

It is a plastic kit rather than wooden but atleast it is nautical. 

It is steadily progressing.

Happy Modelling

Mark

plastic ship.jpg

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

USS Kearsarge

• 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to USS Kearsarge by Homebrew - Scientific Models - Scale 1:90