Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Finished the lower row of oars on one side and started with the top row...

59ed484bb66f7_biremebuild195.jpg.26bb3c6ae469f94109e3c5d0aa9eab58.jpg

Top row not fixed yet, because I need to add the loops to attach them to the tholepins. Must figure out how to do that first.

The lower row of oars took me whole day. It wasn't a walk in the park.:(

The leather sleeves were a real pain to install and I broke off an internal beam with tholepins.

Retrieving it from underneath two rows of seats was a challenge...glueing it back in place even more. 

But...it's done and I learned from it, so the other side will be less daunting...I hope.

More soon,

Robin :)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

A really interesting solution to the problem of mounting oars. I've been pondering the same problem myself for some time and I'm taking inspiration from yours. The dromons had the leather sleeves as well, and I was thinking of using aluminium foil from the kitchen for both those and for the flags when the ship is finished. I don't know how it would compare with yours.

Looking very good, and I love your case as well - shows the model off to its best advantage.

Steven

Thanks Steven!

Aluminium foil is a bit tricky I think. Very weak and it crumples easily.

For larger flags I don't think either of them will work. Maybe very thin styrene sheet, or perhaps (tissue) paper with pva glue and water?

Today I finished one side and both the steering oars are on now also.

I was still not 100% happy with the shield I made. The solid black rim...still a bit boring.

So I took the shield off the ship and painted white triangles on the black rim.

Looks very Greek, so I'm happy with it now.:)

59edf6cfdb815_biremebuild196.jpg.486d596485e89e53bd4a81620e5940a7.jpg

59edf6d19adb0_biremebuild197.jpg.4e7e5ea661347273c48b5296f3864a16.jpg

I take the rest of the day off. I've a bad cold, so I take it easy.

More soon though...the finish line is getting closer and closer now.

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

On 10/21/2017 at 6:25 PM, Robin Lous said:

And that was my first oar! :champagne:

Pretty slick indeed:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Instead of tinfoil try to use lead foil. It can be bought in well sorted hobby stores or, of course, over the internet. The best way to obtain tinfoil is to buy a nice bottle of expensive wine. Lead foil is used to seal the cork in the bottle. So carefully remove the lead foil and use the bottle and its contents during a nice dinner.

Led foil is thicker and much "sturdier" it will keep its shape and does not crumble like aluminum foil. 

In Sweden we have something called "oven foil" it is aluminum foil but thicker than "ordinary" aluminum foil. Maybe that can work?

Thanks guys, the support is not only appreciated. Without...this build would likely have ended in the fireplace shortly after opening the box!:rolleyes:

Anyway, with a severe man flu to deal with...I treated myself to a small fun job. The flag!

Now...a flag is a flag, but 550 BC...flags were still a bit different. On Greek ships anyway.

Like this...

59ef3495de561_biremebuild199.jpg.ff1d48886c2fee182e13e66de6a904f3.jpg

Strange flags....

Not sure what to make of this. Probably a frame of twigs tied together...covered with fabric.

It can even be something like a tube shaped wind vane or like a horo on the back of a samurai messenger (Google that lol).

After some trial and error I made this...

59ef3497854fb_biremebuild200.jpg.a6344b39ef663f436685d596298bcc4b.jpg 

And now painted and with a couple of streamers...

59ef34989ce17_biremebuild201.jpg.fbe7e5fea0f713b4d529332e4a1c68b9.jpg

The colours can be anything, but I payed a tribute to the Greek black pottery makers. 

So, different shades of ochre and black

A dry fit on the ship...

59ef3499cb67c_biremebuild202.jpg.67ad9f14c1a1cbabdede14aebdf64734.jpg

Note: the ochre looks yellow on this photo, but that's because of poor lighting.

The streamers are just painted paper. I'll bend the lower one a bit more and I'll make the pole shorther.

After a final inspection...matt varnish and done. 6 hours work....was fun!

Edited by Robin Lous

Looking good Robin! I feel your pain with the sickness issue. Get well!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

FINISHED

I'll make better photo's for a gallery asap, but this is what it is....

59efd52d21d60_biremebuild204.jpg.72b1fb5002a3cc064a77fd64567214e8.jpg

59efd52e55da2_biremebuild205.jpg.83530afc52aab67a1bfc66c4dcab3fe3.jpg

59efd52f5ca94_biremebuild206.jpg.59e7e5d1cefc0bbcef96b921878e31b8.jpg

59efd53062ccb_biremebuild207.jpg.00e1754c165e55dc7ea1682ef8b57fb0.jpg

59efd5320e9cf_biremebuild208.jpg.f8cbd1141591927a692f1c0456cbbc5b.jpg

Thanks for watching, thanks for the support, thanks Daniel Dusek, thanks to the Admiral for pretending she likes what I shown her during the build ..."look a 7 part rower seat!", "look! an oar!".:blush:

It was a joyful ride...I love this kit and I liked to do all the modifications. Daniel Dusek did a fantastic job...I gladly build another (but different)!

Thanks again guys...really, without this forum there wouldn't be a finished model!

More soon...but something else!

Utterly Superb  - what a fantastic job you have done.:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You can be justly proud of this model.

It's been an inspirational journey and I've learned a lot which I might be able to put to use in my own build.

Steven

Despite the set backs(?) - learning moments ;) - you have created a beautiful bireme. She deserves to be displayed in such a wonderful case. Besides an inspirational build, it was fun to follow, and I picked up some knowledge (which I'll probably will forget again with my memory leak).

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I thoroughly agree with Carl - a beautiful build and well worth the extra effort you made with it. I congratulate you.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Beautiful model Robin! This was a very fun build to follow along with. Take some time to savor the moment and admire what you have created. I'll be looking for the next build! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Robin,

Congratulations with your finished model.

Very, very, very beautiful.

Well done. 

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks again,

I enjoyed writing the build log. I tried to explain why I made the modifications and how I did it.

Because it's my first wooden ship build, I probably showed useless and way too much updates, but overall I think it's an informative log.

Light hearted, not overly serious, but still to the point and with good photos and sketches showing what, why and how I added or modified stuff.

The feedback was helpful and motivating. Sad some of the guys are gone by now, but maybe they have a break...like I had mine.

I'm still not 100% sure what my next build will be. One thing is certain...I must tidy my workspace before I start something else.

The mess I make is outright shocking!

muismat.jpg.379806f0f336e69d0d5e20bc44094080.jpg

My mousepad right now...the rest of my desk is...worse! :blush:

Probably the Duyfken from Kolderstok.

Duyfken1.jpg.e5f8d0c6776b95723f1316479aeabae6.jpg

And a larger photo of the finished bireme..2000x1500 pixels

59f174902a700_biremebuild209.thumb.jpg.102bb1304afadd227749d39f87c633ce.jpg

When I get the chance...I'll make some good photo's outside and make a gallery and send them to Daniel.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build