Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Robin u r doing an ecxellent work so far.... a bit slow ☺, but steady of high quality! Though I wonder how releiable is to assume that the ancient greeks painted their ships... except from some ornamental paint.... Even the frescos of santorini which are imaging minoan ships (minoan ships are more often assumed that they had some kind of painted parts) show no painted ships. Dont really know the answer... just pointing it out as food for thought.

Keep up the good work

There purchase records of Athenean (trieres) shipyards for large quantities of red and yellow ochre.

Likely used to paint or decorate trieres (the ships...and/or the sails)...or maybe just buildings. nothing is certain.

When things become uncertain or obscure...common sense and artistic freedom enter the scene  :D

I'll stick to wood staining. This will result in an orange wood tone. Something like the colour of the Argo penteconter reconstruction.

So...I play safe :rolleyes:

Robin  :)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

I posted this photo of testing cherry wood stain before. Centre popsicle stick and the basswood plank test...1, 2 and 3 layers (sanded). I think it's a safe, but nice.

Photo MIA

The other colour is "dark smoked oak" it's too light for the pine tarred lower side of the hull, so I got myself a can of ebony wood stain instead.

Edited by Robin Lous

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Looks great!

Do you have enough magnums ??   ;)  ;)  ;)

Greetings

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

59c1900ad7154_biremebuild040.jpg.9211790f94ad62e707f276ec2fdc78e0.jpg

Planking trials and tribulations are history now...only a few near the keel on one side, but I won't bother you guys about those. This was the part that scared me most, so it feels good I managed to do it.

When I finished the other side, I'll protect it from dirty fingers and other woes with cling foil...and move to the next step.

Several nice things to do next. 

Finish the deck planking, make the "in between" frames I mentioned before, stain the inside of the hull, drill the holes for the lower oars, start with the rigging attachment points, the forecastle, centre deck railing, wale(s), rudders, ram...and more!

A whole score of jobs I'm looking forward to. Funny...I hardly need the plans or manual. Much of what I do next is scratch build or heavily modified...and those plans are bubbling in my head for 2 months by now!

More soon! Excited!

Edited by Robin Lous

When things become uncertain or obscure...common sense and artistic freedom enter the scene. How right u r Robin! 100% !

Ps the argo colours I think is great. And also awsome ur choice of orange stain..... come on work a bit faster.... we r anxious about the.result of ur fine work

Thanks and....tough luck!  :D

I  still must do the few remaining planks on the other side, but I won't post about those.

With a busy week...it will take at least until sunday before I can start working on the "in between" drop in frames.

Treated myself with a new Proxxon toy for that...the DS 230/E Scroll saw!  :)

More soon, but it will take time.

Robin

It's a Dutch brand I think...Alabastine.

It's a wood paste, available in several wood colours. Meant to fill small gaps, holes and cracks in furniture.

A bit too thick to use for the small gaps we have to deal with, so I thinned it down with a little water.

It works well and it's easy to sand smooth again. It dries very quickly, but still need to wait a few hours before sanding.

Robin :)

(working on the last 2 planks atm)

Edited by Robin Lous

You should have been caulkin' the seams, Robin. Alabastine ... that's a bit sloppy, it disolves in water, so when she has her maiden voyage she will sink ... :o;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nah...not after several layers of wood stain and a final layer of varnish.

Not sure I do a bathtub test when I finished the hull, but it is tempting!  :rolleyes:

With the hull planking done (it's finally a ship!), I'll now continue with making the (planked) forecastle.

59c190dd8891e_biremebuild042.jpg.ae477af5c09d6195910b6605ba7beec7.jpg

Final news...

59c190893ef38_biremebuild041.jpg.5b54e4752b131858ea8921f6ac6142c4.jpg

The Admiral picked up the 0,15mm thick copper sheat for me, so I can start experimenting with...how to make copper look like bronze.

For the ram btw. Not yet designed, but I have ideas about it already.

So...next will be the forecastle. A neat little project I think.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Nice finish on the planking, Robin. I would have used brass to get a bronze look, as far as I know it is easier to do. Could you poor me a Hennessy, please ;)

Nice collection of airbrush paints ... how do you keep them from unmixing? Can't imagine you shaking your arms out ...

Cheers

Carl

I kindly disagree with brass being the better choise.

Aged brass still looks yellowish, while aged copper looks more brown. the green copper oxidation comes very close to the green bronze oxidation.

Imho copper is the better choise to work with, or at least...I tried to do it with brass and I wasn't happy with the results. 

I'll start with an oil and blowtorch treatment...inspired by my Titleist Vokey Oil Can wedges (golf clubs). :rolleyes:

Always welcome to help me empty a bottle of Cognac.....or any bottle for that matter.  :D

Yes...I shake the bottles (paint...not cognac!) until it start to hurt my wrist...and a bit more! A good way to speed this up is to hold the bottle in one hand and slam the bottom of it hard with your other hand...several times.

Edited by Robin Lous

Ah, you want the greenish effect! Bronze doesn't get green easily, so copper would be a good choice, but not very easy either.

I'll keep that in mind if I get to the other side of the low lands ...

You must have some hughe arms, considering the number of bottles you've got ;):D :D

Carl

lol... I mostly use 1 to 3 bottles...not all of them  :D

I'm not looking for a massive green oxide effect, but a bit of it over time...nice!

I try to get a neat dark moody brown bronze look.

Edit: btw...for the use of polished body armor, shields and helmets...I agree...brass will be the better choise.

Edited by Robin Lous

I think there's some patinas by Jax (who do the pewter black and brass black many of us use for cannons, etc.) that might work.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yep, the patina treatment is on the list also...and it might work, because I used it on copper photo etched seatbelts and the result was great on them.

Today I did the forecastle (maybe forecastle not the right word for this...dunno) planking.

59c19187cb7d4_biremebuild043.jpg.2c42287fa4c74309b9412ce300e40e0a.jpg

Still need to sand these planks.

Tomorrow i'll do the frame on the inside, 2 small pin rails in between 2 frames...1 each side....and Ill finish the deck planks.

Perhaps even time to drill the oar holes and do the wales. Oh...and I'll scratchbuild 16 deadeyes from walnut wood, but that's prolly a bit ambitious for a sunday.  :rolleyes:

Now the planking is done, things will speed up I think. 5 weeks...about 150 hours in it so far.

More soon,

Edit: the Hennessy for Carl (cog)  :P

Edited by Robin Lous

That's about the cherrywood colour I use for my build. I expect to stain the hull early next week, so you can check it soon. 

Now doing the last deck planks. Painstaking work to let them meet the rounded bow and stern.

Cut...fit...sand...fit...sand...fit...sand...fit...sand fit. :unsure:

More soon,

Yep the only downside of model building is the never ending sanding, my builds always slow down when a lot of sanding is called for :huh:

I have some light teak stain which is almost identical to the cherry :)

Robin,

Nice work on those seat belt buckles. I have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the Cognac!!! I needed that after todays paint job. I should stick to modelling, uniquely!

The stem planking looks very smooth, she is taking shape nicely

Edited by cog

Carl

Thanks Bob, Carl and Frank...and thanks to the guys who like my build!

Sadly...the Admiral had plans for the day, so my shipyard time was limited today.

59c1920101c97_biremebuild044.jpg.c563ced3131c6211a251208cc6a0421d.jpg

Only had time to finish the deck planking.

I stained the edge of the hull before I did the bordering planks. I'll only varnish the deck with semi matt varnish.

I'm still wondering about what the type of wood the deck planks are. They come from a Billing Boats wood display in my local shop.

Since they're very nice and the right size for me (4mm wide, 0,5mm thick)...and since they were a bargain (20 cents each)...I took the whole lot. Enough to plank the decks of a fleet of penteconters and trieres.

It's not birch, boxwood or linde / basswood, but I've no idea what it is. The guy in the shop had no idea either.

For now it's just "nice plank wood"  :rolleyes:

About the cherry wood stain. It's not as dark as it seems on the photo (magnifying lamp light only).

I like it and I think it's a good replacement for red ochre paint. Good colour and I don't have to hide the wood underneath paint now.

Well....hoped to show more today, but...more soon.

Edited by Robin Lous

I wasn't sure what was best to do next, but I guess it's time to do the oar-holes for the lower oars now.

Like much...I do it slightly different  :rolleyes:

The manual tells me to drill 2,5mm holes in the 3rd plank. This scared me...2,5mm holes in a 3mm wide plank :o

This will most likely result in cutting the plank into small sections with nasty edges were the holes meet plank 2 and 4.

I wasn't looking forward to that.

The solution was handed to me on a silver platter when I checked the position of the wale directly underneath the oar-holes.

On the edge of planks 3 and 4...according to the manual.

I didn't like that position...it looks better one plank down...edge of 4 and 5. Also a good point to start the pine tar for the hull bottom.

So I lowered the oar-holes to halfway plank 3 and halfway plank 4....no more fear of plank destruction!

And...instead of 2,5 mm....3,5 mm holes.

I didn't dare to drill 3,5 mm. Started with 1 mm and widened with a 2 mm drill bit. From there...a fine round file.

59c192342a10c_biremebuild045.jpg.9b469b93d64e250caafb977ed0b98a6d.jpg

The larger holes are more realistic and they look better I think.

They're closer to the waterline now, so I'll make leather sleeves (like used on the Olympias) from thin lead foil.

Note: the 2 dark lines are CA glue stains...not gaps. The lower one will be hidden underneath the wale, but the one above the hole will remain. It bothers me, but nothing I can do to get rid of it. Hopefully less visible after staining. :(

3 done...21 to go!  :P

More soon,

Robin

Edited by Robin Lous

She's starting to look really good. Keep up the good work.

By the way, another advantage of copper is that it's softer and easier to work than brass. (I know from personal experience working small scale in both metals - I'd far rather work with copper than brass).

Steven