Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Your ship is looking great, and you have my favourite drink ;)  :P !!

On 6-10-2016 at 10:36 AM, Louie da fly said:

..... I'm not sure your future trireme will be as pretty.

Steven

challenge.jpg.b745b6da803954ce0afdfc9af3f1a3b6.jpg

Robin  :)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

The whole tholepin affair came to an end...

bireme%20build061_zpsqglnjvjo.jpg

...and placed the rudder attachment pins.

The weathered bronze test strip....

bireme%20build062_zpsvjfos8oy.jpg

I treated 4 swaps differently and left them outside for a week to let the weather and salty sea breeze do it's thing.

This one I like most. I burnished the copper. Dipped in oil and burned it with a blow torch. Some green oxide starts to appear already, but it needs a little bit more outdoor time I think. I'll get it right soon!

So, what's next?

The centre top deck railing!  B)

And with it...the additional deck support beams.

Also gave the oars some thought....

The nice Dusek tutorial video...

Great!...but  :unsure:

....I want the paddle blades a bit wider and maybe teardrop shaped (undecided).

The 2mm x 2mm rod works fine, but I think the blades will be a bit too narrow.

My "simple" solution....glue 1mm x 2mm strips to where the blades will be.

Sand down to the desired size and shape...teardrop or straight.

A bit more work, but hey! I'm used to that by now.  :P

Okey...that's it for now....I worked very hard to get this done, so tonight I take an evening off!

Thanks for watching...and more soon!

Robin :)

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Thanks Bob,

I don't think it will be a painful experience to make the oars, even though I need about 60.

I'll start making small batches of about 5 per day before I continue with the part of the build I'm working on.

When I spread it out, it won't become slave labour...I hope.

With the trireme (170+30 spares) build on the horizon...I think I'm condemned to this daily routine for a long time now.  :D

More soon....including oars!

I have to hand it you making all those oars Robin. I need to make four for my launch and I've been putting them off. Then again, I'm currently carving bits and sheave holes in 1:100 scale so I guess we all enjoy torture in some form. :P

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

With the trireme (170+30 spares) build on the horizon...I think I'm condemned to this daily routine for a long time now.

Whilst you are busy for the bireme, you could actually continue with some of those required for the trireme, if you go on to 135 you are 1/3 on the way for the larger one

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks guys!

Busy with the centre deck railing.

The plan....

59c19808ccf1d_railingscheme.png.69f021d120230b63ca0a0350e4710b2f.png

Where it will happen...

59c1982250cf3_biremebuild064.jpg.71298adce4e81c174b94f81ec0ace025.jpg

What happened today (so far)....

59c1983c7f22e_biremebuild065.jpg.74662eb15b25093b7512ec61389759cd.jpg

This took me 6 hours! For one side only.  :blink:

Much of it was measuring. The short posts all have the same lenght, but the long ones, I had to measure one by one.

I don't own a milling table (yet :D), so it took time to cut all the recesses with a fresh X-acto blade.

The cap rail will be stained with "cherry" (or Hennessy for intimi) wood stain. The rest oak wood stain.

I'll do that tonight and perhaps there's time left to start putting it together.

So, maybe another update late tonight...otherwise tomorrow. Will also show the oars with the wider blades...straight and teardrop.

Sooooo....more soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

You're right Joe,

I do take all the time it needs, so in a way...I'm not rushing, but eager to get something done I tend to glue myself to my desk chair and keep going until it's done.

That's not rushing, but it's not good either. I can make stupid mistakes because I'm too tired to think straight sometimes....not to mention my eyesight....not to mention the Admiral giving me "the look".

So...I call it a day!  :)

but...but...I did finish the staining!  :rolleyes:

More tomorrow!

I am not happy about you having the eyesight issue after you've been working too long on the small items, but glad to know I am not the only one who has that problem. After a rather short time, I have to get up and do something else for a while as the strain to see small modeling items makes my vision very blurry. And this happens even with all the great magnification tools being used. The problem is directly related to the small size. The smaller the objects, the less time I can spend in one sitting. 

The Admiral .... yes, like an egg timer ... with a sledge hammer

So you find the perks of wooden boat building. It's not as quick as it's plastic counter part. The eye problem, well you're not the only one. I recently bought something to aid me with very detailed things, and still I tend to get screwed eyeballs ... and headaches - the latter is something I've been dealing with all my life, so it's second nature. The pain in my eyes ... it helps to take short periods off but it stays a pain in the proverbial hiney

Keep it up, I'll take a Napoleon to drink to your health

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks guys. Looks like we all suffer from the same eye issues. Nothing we can do about, so let's make the best of it.  :)

Just had an UPS guy at the door.....

A parcel! I got a parcel! look what I got!

trieres001.jpg.78c88e3704613e3f83b775e8cebf7c32.jpg

Sturdy box, well packed...nice!

trieres002.jpg.0d2a9182136c06512fc1dda2878de490.jpg

Yay! my trieres!

trieres003.jpg.9996047b8ea5ac947ed9d5925d507ed5.jpg

Wow! even though it's only 12 cm longer...it will dwarf my bireme.  :o

That's a lot of oars, seats and tholepins to make...oh dear!

Thanks Daniel!

From ordering to my doorstep in 8 days. And that's with custom alder wood hull planks and the cheapskate delivery option.

Really very impressive! I'll try my best to do this kit justice. Looking forward to start working on it.

but...I finish the bireme before I start.

Edited by Robin Lous

Really very impressive! I'll try my best to do this kit justice. Looking forward to start working on it.

but...I finish the bireme before I start.

If you don't get overrun by temption :) :) :)

Excellent! Your bireme has been very educational to watch come together and I am looking forward to watching those triremes come together for the same reason.  :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

You will have fun with that one Robin, If you are interested there is a new book in the Anatomy Of The Ship series called "The Athenian Trireme" coming out real soon, I have mine or order. Check out Amazon if you wish

You will have fun with that one Robin, If you are interested there is a new book in the Anatomy Of The Ship series called "The Athenian Trireme" coming out real soon, I have mine or order. Check out Amazon if you wish

OMG! that's fantastic! I already own the Olympias book from the Trireme Trust, but it's 99% text (nothing wrong with text of course) and 1% fuzzy sketches and blurry photo's....no plans whatsoever.

So this will be more than welcome!

Thanks a lot...I'll order it straight away.

Oh really!!!!! I did not see that. Sorry for misleading you. I will check my credit card and may have to cancel 

Thanks again...and Bob, Carl and EJ... :P

Of course I underestimated the amount of work, but I almost finished the railing.

59c19f05105c4_biremebuild067.jpg.6c0a56861a7c459b37b30f4252fc068a.jpg

59c19ed6283a0_biremebuild066.jpg.d92673ba989ef552f77122d0a0f84baa.jpg

It went rather well and I think it looks good. With the railing on it shows the humble size of a bireme better.

Still need to do the cap rail, but it gives an idea of how it will look now.

The planks running along the side of the deck serve two purposes. It looks good...and it hides the plywood of the deck.

Also happy with the posts running down to the lower deck.

More soon!

Edited by Robin Lous

2 more...

59c1a04011deb_biremebuild084.jpg.9f55236a2e092e3037fce83657c96201.jpg

a close up of the construction...

59c1a06d1d74e_biremebuild085.thumb.jpg.f5441f35777bfc674565d76b57aa67a0.jpg

and with the cap rail on...

The rest of the week I work long hours (real work lol), so next update not before sunday or monday.

Thanks for all the kind words and...more soon,

Edit: on Facebook my sister in law complained about no bottle on these photos. She's right...completely forgot about it. :(

Edited by Robin Lous

That is why I position a lot of my pictures so at least part of my bar is in the background. Always have a something to refresh my crew with after a long day at the ship yard and maybe a splash or two for the foreman when no one is looking... :P

Excellent work! You sure are packing a lot of nice details into a small ship. I'm enjoying every update!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart