Greek Bireme by Robin Lous - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:72 - First wooden ship build

Correction.. not "cheat"... adapt, improvise, overcome.    :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pfff! What is cheating anyway? 

Strictly anything different than scaled down original materials and not made the traditional way is cheating.

Even the use of electric light, modern glue and (power) tools. Not to mention resin, brass and photo etched details...it's all cheating.

Anyone not cheating can raise his hand now.  :P

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Only one glass of white wine.  :blush:

I'm also curious about how it will turn out, but with all the oars in place...not much will be visible of what I do now.

Still not wasted, because all the extra interior bits I added (deck, beams, posts, seat detail, tholepins and what more... will make it look more busy and hopefully more realistic. Less boring for sure!

Not done much today...the Admiral nuked my shipyard time. We visited friends. Grumpf!  :(

More soon though,

Robin :)

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Well done Robin !!

A very highly detailed model, to be proud of.

This has nothing to do with ships but is very interesting for you (and me) ;) .

You should try it.

1 bottle of cheap cognac, NOT brandy

1 orange (prick with a knife in it)

40 lumps (klontjes in dutch) of sugar

40 coffee beans

Do this in a pot and wait 40 days, but shake it every 10 days 

yummy ... :rolleyes:

Groetjes

Greetings

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks again guys,

Something new to show. I hoped for more, but I underestimated the amount of work again. What else is new?  :P

59c186426db5b_biremebuild082.jpg.04869b889bf16816981bec2ea0fd0d74.jpg

59c1861bf3d5b_biremebuild083.jpg.05b41a4d68b15a89d7497c971e6105c1.jpg

Finished the oar ropes and tensioning cable! err...one side only that is.  :blush:

59c185d9db359_biremebuild084.jpg.bbacae12b2aceb02884ec4390fdf3a57.jpg

I hoped to finish both sides and the top rower seats today, but...well...it took longer than expected.

Working for 8 weeks on it now. That's not even that much, but I work on it for several hours per day, so not a quick build.

Not for me anyway.

One more photo...to show the effect of staining part of the bow with ebony.

And....I know...the lower wales don't end at the same height. Stupid mistake, but I discovered it too late.  :(

Luckily the copper root of the ram will hide it, but still...poor!

59c1859183b3c_biremebuild085.thumb.jpg.75fb6e8dc9e7086ac89bf42f24d8de74.jpg

So, I'll continue with what I done now...and those bloody rower seats.

Oh...and I'll do another modification. A fabric (canvas?) sun/rain roof in stored position.

The roof was pulled out from the centre deck railing to the side to protect the rowers from the sun and rain.

Also used in battle to offer protection from arrows and stones.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

Maybe the wales were due to the constant supply of a variety of lubrication in various bottles ?

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Outstanding! That finish is beautiful. I'm loving all the oar ropes and tension cables. They are adding another layer of detail that makes this build more and more incredible. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi there!

I'm not slacking, it's just these darn seats take time to make.  :blush:

59c18536bbeeb_biremebuild086.jpg.8334c57d10bdae70a059f3d0cf0f9d71.jpg

It's 0,5 mm thick linden wood...kinda fragile. It's 5 stages to make them. 26 needed for the top rows.

My eyes go on strike after half an hour when I do this, so it's several short visits to my workbench now.

I guess I get it done on friday and this weekend (that's sunday and monday for me...I work on saturday) I hope to finish the large pin rail  also and....I want to paint the ship's eyes this weekend!  B)

That's probably the most scary part of the build, but also looking forward to it. I hope I get that right.

More soon,

robin

Edited by Robin Lous

Didn't you see the memo about a 10 seat a day minimum! :P

Seriously, those seats look great! I know what that is like doing a very tiny, highly detailed part and then having to repeat the process many many time. It does indeed hurt the eyes and can quickly become tiresome. The results are worth it and those seats are going to look fantastic when you get them all made. :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Weel done Robin.  I remember making several small partsyears ago and was able to get a hunk of apple.  The stuff worked great.  Nice close grain and no splitting or cracking.  

David B

Thanks gentlemen!

59c184890f2e5_biremebuild087.jpg.179adee775dd640383d380b62d00ae37.jpg

Finished the oar ropes and tension cable on the other side and the top row seats.

Back to the pin rail I mentioned before. When I done that I can do the rear deck railing.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

lovely work Robin

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Two updates the same day...unheard of! :o

59c18367d253f_biremebuild088.jpg.6337497fc2a0f537723b0beee40e15e0.jpg

The pin rail.  :)

I managed to make 2 mm square holes in 3x3 mm beams. Wood is wonderful stuff!

The rail is 35 mm long.

Still a dry fit on the deck. I'll pin it, but I displaced my stash of brass rods. Time to tidy my room I guess. :(

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

I believe the 3.5 cm when you get a ruler alongside it. When I look at it and use the pins at 2mm I would sooner calculate it 70mm. Even if it is that size, It is still a jolly good piece of work. The square holes is a feat on itself

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

On 21-10-2016 at 10:48 PM, cog said:

I believe the 3.5 cm when you get a ruler alongside it. When I look at it and use the pins at 2mm I would sooner calculate it 70mm. Even if it is that size, It is still a jolly good piece of work. The square holes is a feat on itself

With 2 mm pins your calculation is spot on...only...the pins are 1 mm.  :P

59c1839b22fc6_biremebuild089.jpg.ceffb96b973d80016f37d7472e817a18.jpg

B)

Edited by Robin Lous

The posts are 3x3 mm, the horizontal beam is 2x2 mm with 1 mm holes for the 1 mm belaying pins...made of thinned down cocktail sticks.

The 2x2 mm square holes are in the posts...the horizontal beam is a 1 piece 2x2 mm beam.

lenght is 35 mm on the floor + 2x 1,5mm 2 mm beam sticking out on the top.

The belaying pins can't fall through the square 2x2 holes, because they're not there. :blink:

Edited by Robin Lous

Now busy with the rear deck railing. This will also be slightly different. (who needs a manual anyway? :D)

And...all the sudden the deadeyes I need become urgent. What I've seen, only one eyed deadeyes were used. 

It looks like the well know "normal" deadeyes with 3 holes weren't invented yet.

I've seen them on the Olympias, but I think they used them for convenience, not because they're period accurate.

I need 18 or 20 of these.

Small problem....I didn't find the right size ready made.

Converted to 1:72 scale...2.5 mm is about the right size, but that's unworkable small. :huh:

Workable, but still good looking...about 4 mm.

I don't think it's doable to make them from wood, so I'll try this....

59c182cac0f8a_smalldeadeyes.png.3a9d8aa474a66d24e0f55dfb07068192.png

brass wire in the centre...covered with styrene (Evergreen) sheet.

So, the railing, deadeyes...and when I feel like it...the ship's eyes and/or rudders will be next. Oh...and a couple of oars.

More soon,

Edited by Robin Lous

ah! okey...thanks!

In Dutch they're called "jufferblokken" and "stagkousen"...with one or 3 holes, still the same name.