whats an easier build for a first kit

rdestefano01

I should have added that you should try to find a kit with good, extensive instructions.  The Caldercraft Badger had a 60-page instruction manual.  Take a look at how detailed and extensive it is:

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_15.htm

There are other models out there with lengthy instruction manuals as well.  Even if you don't have the particular ship they can be useful - i borrowed lots of tips, for example, from Chuck's Syren instruction manual.  This book by Mastini was a good resource too in being very new to the hobby:

https://www.amazon.com/Ship-Modeling-Simplified-Techniques-Construction-ebook/dp/B00ARHCE5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471545268&sr=8-1&keywords=mastini

Also, you might want to pick a model for which there are a few build logs on here.  Pre-crash, there were a bunch of us "Badger Brothers" that worked on the kit - not only did we share info and tips, but it was fun building alongside others.  Unfortunately, a bunch of those logs were lost in the crash, but a few of us are still around.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

There are several good build logs for PHILADELPHIA.  Plus, you can visit the actual ship in the Smithsonian.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I am in awe at the response ive gotten. I went to do some errands, came home and to my delight 7 new posts! Believe me when i say im on the edge of my seat while reading all of the posts. The last 24 hours i have learned ALOT about where i stand and what i should acually be thinking about.

I really like the Supply and think ill try that first. Maybe ill do a build log. As for the Constitution i guess for now ill just have to settle for the real thing being docked 400 yards away.

Thank you all sooo very much.

Rob

Rob:

I agree with Paul V. The instructions for the larger, advanced models assume you've built at least a beginners model. Their instructions, particularly when you get to rigging, are almost non-existent. There's also the terminology of sailing ships that the advanced model instructions assume you know.  I found that starting with a kit of a top-sail schooner prepared my to take on my second model, an intermediate model of the CSS Alabama. Now I'm starting the frigate, Rattlesnake.My continued modeling has presented greater and greater challenges that I was prepared for.

My experience is that showing off my first beginner's model of Corel's Ranger was met by many ohs and ahs from friends and family. So I got my ego stroked, and much quicker that if I'd attempted and finally completed an advanced model.

Unless you're just interested in building one model only, I'd suggest that you recognize you are a beginner and act like one. And I'm sure you'll enjoy the building as you prepare for larger challenges.

Martin

My goal is to develop the skills so that one (or more) of the models I build will be on somebody's mantle in 100 years.  The rate I am going, I might still be building it in 99 years, but....

Having said that, I get a lot of satisfaction learning, buying tools, upgrading my skills, buying tools and building the smaller models.  As indicated in some of the above posts, working on and completing simpler models such as PHILADELPHIA, SULTAN, Sharpie Schooner, or dozens of others is quite rewarding and leads to more involvement.  Working on, screwing up and stalling on the big guys like CONSTITUTION is frustrating and leads to leaving the hobby.  True, there are some people that can do a bang-up job on a CONNY the first time out, but that is few and far between.  As Dirty Harry says, a man has got to know his limitations.

Definitely traipse on down to the CONNY and visit/join the model club there.  A club is a valuable resource for information and inspiration.  Say hello to Bob Riddoch for me.  Hopefully you will also get to get involved in projects or public interaction like we do here in the San Diego guild.  Go to the local/area/regional model shows and conferences.  When I seem to be flagging, seeing what other people are doing really gets the juices flowing again.  Check out the clubs section on this site.   The NRG shindig is in San Diego this year.  You are more than welcome to come, but if that is too far of a trek, it will be back on that OTHER side of the country next year (probably)...or at least closer to you (unless Kurt has plans for Hawaii).

And remember...you can never have too many clamps.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I am torn by which advise to give you.  Logically, it makes sense to build something small and relatively easy to hone your skills.  But whatever you build, you must have a passion for.  Otherwise it is simply a woodshop exercise.  As an adult, my first ship model was also a Connie, the plastic Revell version. I was very proud of it and kept it on display as my first "real" ship model for several years.  Unfortunately it was crushed during a cross-country move.  My next model was Mantua's Peregrine Galley.  And yes, I was way over my head.  I even bought an Italian dictionary to translate the instructions.  To this day, I display her to oohs and aahs from friends and foe alike (it is my only ship with a full complement of sails).  I, on the other hand, shudder whenever I look at her, realizing all the mistakes and rediculous design features.  But I had a passion to build her and she was completed within a year.  You need to decide what you want more...a logical "training wheel" model or something that passion will force you to complete no matter how frustrated you may become.

Chuck, I like the Hawaii idea.  Our field trip could be in outrigger canoes and our banquet could be a luau.  You can suggest it to Kurt!  And, yes, you can never have too many clamps.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

.a logical "training wheel" model or something that passion will force you to complete no matter how frustrated you may become.

Passion and desire....which I guess it the same.  When we (San Diego Ship Modelers Guild) man a booth in the county fair each year, the #3 question/statement (behind "Where is the restroom?" and "Is that a pirate ship?" but ahead of "How do you put a ship in a bottle?") is "That must take alot of patience." 

My answer to that is 'patience runs out.  desire keeps you going.'  There are times when you get tired of working on it.  Frustrated with it.  Stumped by a particular process.  Desire and passion brings you back.

...and you get to wear Hawaiian shirts at the formal NRG dinners.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck:

The NRG dinners are NOT formal - that went out the window many years ago - and I am known (famously and infamously!) for wearing Hawaiian shirts to them. 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, I would call it your tradition!  As long as the women don't need to wear hula skirts...

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Chuck:

The NRG dinners are NOT formal - that went out the window many years ago - and I am known (famously and infamously!) for wearing Hawaiian shirts to them. 

Kurt

I've always favored the white canvas dinner jackets that have buckles up the back.  White tie optional.

Bluejacket, in Maine, is reputed to have a wide range of abilities in their models and a great support system for those building their kits.  Just to mention  one supplier and stay with the sartorial theme.

Thank you everybody for all your suggestions!  sorry I couldn't respond earlier I've been so busy. I'm currently  on the Norwegein Dawn cruise ship and it's about to pull away from the Black Falcon Terminal in south Boston, next port of call Bermuda!. I just wanted to Thank everyone for helping me make a decision on what I should do before I lose the internet on my phone for the week.  Basically it comes down to 2 kits. As of now I am either getting the Philidalphia or the Supply. I like both for different reasons the 1:24 scale of the Philidalphia is really cool the cannons look huge! and also the flat bottom. The Supply just has a nice clean look to it.

oooh I think the ship is moving, I'm going to the top deck to watch us off.

Thanks Everyone! I'll be back friday.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

I always enjoy reading threads about someone just starting out and their process for choosing a first model kit. Back in the 90s, I tried and failed to build what was considered a "beginners" kit - the Model Shipways Phantom. Because there was no internet and I didn't have anyone to answer questions, it all went horribly wrong and I got discouraged about the whole hobby. I recently decided to try again as, like most of us here, I have a passion for all things nautical.

This time around I went with an even more basic kit, the Chesapeak Bay Crabbing Skiff by Midwest Products. So far, this build is going well (except for moving and losing my work area a couple of times) so it was the right approach for me. I'll probably do one more Midwest kit before tackling the Phantom again. Then I will venture into more advanced kits that require planking and lots of rigging.

So did you make a final decision yet? If and when you start, I definitely recommend a build log. It's a great way to show off your work and also to present questions or problems. This group is a great resource and inspiration. Best of luck to you and most importly, relax and enjoy your first build...

Don

Edited by DonInAZ

Current Build: Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Midwest Products

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff by Midwest Products

The titanic lifeboat may not be a good practice kit as the hull planks are clinked. Amati have a brilliant ship called the The Adventure. It's ment to be a pirate ship. It's cheep and will give you the very basics if hull planking etc etc. Best of luck.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard