Chesapeake Bay Flattie by popeye the sailor - Midwest Products

not sure what these are.........but I chose the dead ones..........they won't fight back!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

yea....birch does tend to have a powder residue.......all part of it shedding it's outer coat.   I think it will turn out better than the shavings.....the bark is more elastic.  I don't think there is a dollar bill in the house.....we tend to rely on our debit cards.   what can I say......this is worth a try  :)   thanks again for the ideas Dee Dee..........and to every one else that suggested something.  it's amazing what folks use......and that there are many uses for common household stuff,  and wood working by products.   I should have some sort of update soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I made a bit of progress with this build.   in between working on two other builds,  I managed to separate the birch bark.   the bark of these trees are set up in layers......once a layer gets old enough,  it simply peels away,  revealing the new undercoat.   there are like several layers.   anyway,  I separated it towards the center of the bark.

post-612-0-55208500-1482960333.jpg

the white outer layer was then scraped away,  leaving the under coat.   I tried the first batch........wasn't too thrilled with it,  so I did a second batch.   jury's still out on it.........I'll report more on it soon.

I also managed to trace out the sails,  which was kinda nice......

post-612-0-04888800-1482960503.jpg

not real thrilled with the thickness of the material,  but I'll go with it.  more on this soon,  as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis, I'm back with your flattie build.  I really enjoyed the discussion about mast hoops and the different approaches employed making them. 

Your flattie is looking nice.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

hello Piet....glad to see your finding time to visit the site.....hope your holiday was enjoyable and wonderful.   I made some of the bark rings.......two batches. 

the first one,  I thought wasn't thick enough,  so I made the second batch.   the holidays kept me from doing more on her......thanks for the good word and looking in.

I looked at the hoops in the Bluenose fittings........they are 5/16,  the same size that I made the birch hoops.  I feel that they are too large......does anyone else agree with my thinking?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Jack. However, it doesn't make it any easier ... I still dunno what those bluenose ringlets look like in that size in comparison to the birch one's ... not much to compare ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

my bad Carl........I'll put something together.  the table is laidened with faring dust at the moment.   once I have 'Thermie' ready,  I'll move it over and bring the Flattie out.  I have to check something......I'm wondering if the mast is really the size they say it is.   it's very loose in the hole.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

hello Eric...my apologies in not seeing this in a timely manner.  the flattie is still in it's box,  waiting for me to get back to her.  as you read,  I tried a few methods in making the hoops for the sails,  but none of them panned out for me........I just wasn't happy with 'em.  so I figured I'd shelve it for the time being and look for some that I liked.......as you can see,  this hasn't gone well for me.  sometimes,  being 'scratch happy' doesn't work the way one would like  ;)   it's nothing new for me.......I've always tried to put the little extras in my models.  added to this,  a very active mind has created somewhat of a backlog.......anyone who knows me will attest.  at the moment,  I've been in a plastic frame of mind........but I have been working towards breaking away and get back to my boats { I think they miss me greatly......so does the admiral}.  I appreciate your asking about the model,  and thanks for looking in....I do hope to finish her one day :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Can't you make 5/16 rolls of parchment, quite sturdy and you can "slice" ringlets off ....

I'm getting older, so my response time leaves some what to be desired

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

hi Carl.......good to see you poke in :)   yea....I've tried a number of ways....they either fell apart or would cut very well.  I wasn't happy with them.  I've yet to pull her back out.......perhaps it's time to take another look.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

I use either painted card or wire for my mast hoops.  It works well for me.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• The title was changed to Chesapeake Bay Flattie by popeye the sailor - Midwest Products