English Pinnace by MikeB4 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

You did it! Looks real good.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I've sanded the cap rail to the appropriate width. I'm going to attempted to score a groove around the outer edge like Chuck does in the instructions. Of course I'll need to paint and repaint some of the areas that the sanding took the paint off of.

sanded cap rail.jpg

I've painted the cap rail. I did discover an issue. The distance between the top of the cockpit bench and the bottom of the cap rail is much narrower than it should be. This is going to be a problem with the panels. I guess I'll have to use 1/32 x 1/32 wood strips instead of the 1/16 x 1/32 supplied in the kit. I'm surely not going to rip the model apart at this point. No matter how hard I try, something always ends up off. It's a learning experience.

Painted cap rail.jpg

Thanks Steve,

I'll have to get a bit creative. Fortunately this isn't a model of a specific boat from history but rather a kind of representation from that period. Looking at the original museum piece that inspired Chuck for this kit, it is very different. So with that said this build is more art than history.

Museum piece.jpg

I had built some panels using .031 x .031 strips of wood which looked OK, but I needed to see how the 031 x .062 strips that are recommended in the instructions will look before committing to the former. I'm glad I did because I'm going with the later. My technique for scribing the strips was to build a jig that would guide my scriber evenly down the length of the wood strips as you can see in the picture below. I also deviating from the instructions concerning the actual building of the panels. I'm going to build them before I put them on the boat rather than build them on the boat as the instructions recommend. I've started with the cockpit panels first by creating a drawing to loft the panels off of.

Panel jig.jpg

Panel drawing.jpg

panel lofting.jpg

That worked really well. Looks real clean. Good leaf might work. Test it out for us. Just don't paint them white. I may have to "borrow" your idea of assembling off the boat before install. 

Steve

Mike - if it was one panel I think the gold would look nice. If it's panels all the way to the bow, it might be too much. But that's just my taste (or lack of it) Of course that begs the question, if not gold then what? I agree with Steve, white would be kinda ordinary.

You might try painting some card stock gold and position them. At least you wouldn't have to redo the wood panels. I would only want to have to make them once.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike,

I agree It would be way to much work to have to build each panel over again if they didn't look good in gold. I decided just to leave them unpainted in their natural wood color.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally finished the panels. At this stage you start to find all your little mistakes. Fortunately nothing is a deal breaker. I realize all those highly accomplished builders out there made a million mistakes to get to where they are. Anyone who says they didn't isn't being honest. Over all I'm pleased with this build, it's not an easy one.

Finished panels.jpg

Looking good Mike. I think you made the right choice on the panels.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the decorative stem bumper. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this at first. I have these really tiny nails that where just right for this and I had some black card stock lying around. I think I'm going to leave the nails their natural brass color, I think it looks good that way. 

bumper.jpg

Looks very good Mike!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice work with the paper parts Mike. I always find them troublesome. Yours appear to have come out very smooth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished after about 10 months. I feel good about this build I get a little bit better with each project. For those who have followed this log, thank you.

Complete (1).jpg

Complete (2).jpg

Complete (3).jpg

Complete (4).jpg

Complete (5).jpg

Complete (6).jpg

Complete (7).jpg

On 20.3.2017 at 0:42 AM, MikeB4 said:

I've installed the cockpit seats and got them painted

Cockpit1.jpg

Cockpit2.jpg

She is a lightweight Mike,

very nicely built, looks quite fragile with those thin frames, well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you, once it was planked in was pretty stable. There was a point in this build where I thought I wasn't going complete this project. My first attempt at planking this boat was a disaster. 

Mike, very nice.

And you have the display too.

Putting the pinnacle on thin rods did really make her stand out.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Looks great Mike!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle