La Couronne by yancovitch - FINISHED - RADIO

I've used rustoleum on many projects and have always been happy with the results.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Yanc....

Just found this incredible build. HOLY MOLY!

The La Couronne is one of my favorite ships, having scratch built her twice. Have you calculated her scale?

You posted a comment about cannons. How will you treat her cannons, considering the scale.

I can imagine you will pretty much be challenged with so many scale issues with about every thing you do.... blocks, dead eyes, rope, hooks, hinges, grating, etc., etc.

Beautiful job so far. Pulling up a chair for sure.

You know, It was the fear of the French La Couronne that led King Chuck to commission the SOS. Good thing those two never crossed swords.

Where do you stand on rigging your Confederacy?

Got any pics?

You know I almost completely destroyed mine a few months ago....scared the crap out of me!

Cheers Mate

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

thanks so much dave, and yes, haha.....scale and accuracy is an issue......

but, since the start.... i had to make up the lines of the ship by eye, since the drawings were of such low resolution, i couldn't tell one line from the other, aside from the most obvious ones...i even changed the shape of the bow...sooooo....i just decided that this is a fantasy ship, and everything, will have to be done by eye....a real challenge for the inner esthetic grey matter :)  i figure that even the kits are guesswork...

the hull length without the beak is around 66"....so i'm guessing around 1/30 scale.......unless someone can correct me on this....oh..the waterline length including the rudder is 62-1/2"...i figure the total length just under 8 feet.....

like i mentioned, i'll spray the windows with satin urethane to reduce the glitter once i get all the parts together......i'll turn the cannons on a dowel attached to a drill....then make a mold and cast them in plastic composite called smooth cast......again, i'll make paper cutouts and check them sticking out of the gun ports to see how they look....pure guesswork...unless someone would have some measurements.....hard to believe a ship like this would only have 18 pounders on the lower deck...the sovereign of the seas had 42 and 32 pounders......so i'm back to "just what feels right"........again, any enlightenment would be welcome...

butchered a kids toy for the female torsos, although the boobs are kinda big...but what the heck, it's a french ship after all :)  made a mold for copies.....will place the same broads on the sides too :)

still have to decide what kind of sculpture to put where......will just have to rely on guidance from above........

the confederacy was more relaxing, as it had all the info necessary....little guesswork....i should soon get back to doing the rigging on the confed in the evenings while watching a mystery or whatever .....

the beat goes on :)

post-12143-0-59587500-1476729318_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-32762700-1476729323_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-70787000-1476729341_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-30899900-1476730478_thumb.jpg

La Couronne is looking good and will be an impressive ship no matter how historically accurate she may be.

Your Confederacy is also a fine looking model. Excellent job on that one too. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done. Those roof domes came out great and all those details are making her look sharp. I think that blue paint was a good choice. It is allowing the gold on the detail pieces to really pop.

Smart thinking making the quarter galleys removable. On a ship that big, anything that can be easily removed and replaced will make transporting it much easier.

Your doing great work! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

thanks e.j................i normally tend to be self critical and put myself down.....but even i'm starting to have some respect for myself hahaha....finally after 75 years :D..........even becoming very happy with my piano playing too, although to old to do much with it now.......

It does look smashing, and you should appreciate your prowess a tad more ... "even becoming very happy with my piano playing too, although to old to do much with it now" I don't know, look at Seasick Steve ... probably get sick when he even looks at ship model, but he can make some nice coin even at his age

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I think all the best craftsmen do that. If you ever stop critisizing your own work then you stop growing and learning. The work you are doing is fantastic and something to be very proud of! :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

It is always amazing how something so simple can make such a huge difference. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

carved a couple of tiny fleurs de lis'......will make around 50 copies of each using dental impression material and smooth-cast 305................ roughly shaped a griffon a bit smaller than the larger one i'll have to carve in wood, which will have claws on the front legs......it helps for a 3d reference....got a future civil war male figure to modify who will sit on her......hopefully i'll be able to somehow melt or soften it, to bend the legs...we'll see.....oh....got the railing basically done, but i think i'll thicken the rings with some leather cord i have....all will probably be painted gold......

post-12143-0-28347300-1478645523_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-56774800-1478645534_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

I second that, excellent carvings! I really like that railing also as well as seeing her name across the stern. Well done! :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

haha.....the gryphon is just rough shape that i can relate to as i carve a wooden one, which will be larger.....will carve the body separate from the wings, then glue them together....a bit of a challenge for me i sure......the wooden one will have long sharp claws :) at the front, and a lions paws on the rear.....at least hopefully :)

• hmmmm......regarding shingles...i just used paper and white glue, which made the paper soft and easy to deform....i would experiment with some different materials or an oil based glue or

the parts are placed not glued...

that dental impression material putty is wonderful ....just thought i'd mentionsmile.gif

oh...........i just realized that the domes are shingled, but the roof between the two towers are not...but i don't want to shingle them...it might be too much....and painting them copper may be too much.....i may just leave them as is...i don't know yet.....feedback on this may be helpful

post-12143-0-05652200-1478818827_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-23746600-1478818831_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

I don't think the middle roof needs to be shingled. The round roof makes sense since it is curved the shingle would do a better job of sealing it up. On the center the roof is flat which would allow the wood to seal up nice and tight without the need of a shingle layer. I think I would leave them the way they are.

Those dental molds of your decorations look great. You are going to have some nice fittings I'm thinking when you are done. :)

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

In contrary to EJ: To me it looks as if it doesn't belong, the unshingled roof. Like it isn't finished. If you could give the shingles a less uniform copper look it might make a difference, and the roof in between wouldn't look to much. What I mean is it looks to neat for a copper roofing, which in turn gives you the wrong impression.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

yea, that's what i was thinking....but i doubt if i'll touch the copper domes, as they were too much work to take a chance on ruining them.....again, this whole ship seems more a fantasy creation, so i won't worry too much about it...although i thought of copper sheeting on the tween roofs, which would be easy....but again, i guess i'll leave off for now, unless i get a better inspiration ...thanks:)

ok....i've never carved in wood before so this will have to suffice..i don't have the patience or knowledge to do any more detail.......but i will add feather textures to the head, breast and front legs, with maybe scraped auto filler...and will add a tail with a tuft....have to finish up the paws and claws :).....hmmmm. after painting gold, maybe some red beads for the eyes....then again maybe not :).....

the civil war toy fella, i'll cover with a short sleave tunic with belt and try  to shape parts of the exposed body...hmmmm....and will have to work on the feet-boots-shoes or whatever....................i think it will look better than the one shown on the plans......cheers...........

post-12143-0-81610400-1478899537_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Well done on the griffin! Better than what I can currently do as my carving skills still leave a lot to be desired. Some red eyes would look cool on it and add a little something unique. Looking forward to seeing the rider modified and mounted.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

ha......attached the more detailed fleur de lis' that i made on the ship.....toooooooo  busy!......so i cut off the bottom part....and...whew....it looks ok.....sometimes ya just got to put it together before deciding if it's good or not......think i'll just stop and look for awhile :D ...........

All of your fittings look like they turned out very well. Good choices on making them. Looking forward to your next update! :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart