La Couronne by yancovitch - FINISHED - RADIO

Those lights are very well done. The dissipated light makes a nice soft glow that looks like lantern light. Great addition!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Absolutely stunning. It is truly amazing what you can accomplish in a large scale model. I may have to look at this for a future build.

Regards

thanks,....nice to do my little part in the midst of such talented modelers....it came out ok, for a lazy impatient person ....maybe the lazy impatient people, are the ones that come out with inventive innovations to make things easier and faster.....i tend to do the minimum of refinement necessary to accomplish an end result......and some people say that i have so much patience :)....i guess patience is a relative term.............and gads, it's really tricky to make things even and correctly proportioned on these ships eh?......funny....i think something's centered or straight, and six months later i see....no...it's not quite straight....sheesh :).....oh...my hat's off to the serious really refined modelers, as i really don't have the heart to emulate such.......i just do enough to get the effect i want...guess i'll work on the drive unit now for the ships control.......then the drat lines which i keep procrastinating.......:)

gads...i don't know what to say....but am grateful for your kind words.....so interesting that you brought up fear of failure and i've never thought of that...... but you've just made me realize that yes, i've always had an idea in my head of how something should eventually ideally look, or be.....and just went ahead and figured out how to get to that place through trial and error.....

i think my main thing is perseverance....ha...i was supposed to be a pianist when a child, but had too many handicaps....but i spent my whole life trying....and finally at 76 i managed to play some pieces on the piano as i thought they should sound, and put them on a little cd, as a testimony i guess......then, i was able to let it all go, as it didn't matter any more :).....

but the ship building is different....it's just like someone who likes to play golf or go for walks in the woods etc .......the challenge of figuring things out is fun....maybe like a crossword puzzle....with me it's all romance and capturing the grace and beauty of these sailing ships balanced with the deep respect for the hardships and sufferings and brilliance of the men who sailed in them....

i'm trying to make the sails with a strong, but light material which would flutter and billow in the wind, rather a practical stiffer material....i want to see the ship dance........a graceful ballet on the waves....that's why i build an r/c model...and large is better for realism......

• 3 months later...

ok...thought i'd post some 'where i am' shots.....and i'm sorry about the poor photos, as i'm working in my living room which is not very  large...next spring i'll take some shots outside, when it is finished.....

rigging not attached properly yet, and needs more work....staining etc....using braided nylon which is good for a working model...got some 'close enough size' belaying pins from model expo.....

shots show imitation rigging which looks roughly like it should, but instead, is functional.....will move yards with separate lines attached to a winch...and the drive assembly is already made......

for the gold pedestal sculptures, i got lazy, and put a wig on a superman toy...close enough for jazz and i like the imagery:)...like kings tend to think they are supermen...

these are the cannons, designed and built by dan lewandowski, which will be installed in the center of the lower deck, four on each side...............

filled a 42''- 2'' abs pipe with lead, and it will be used as an external ballast, which may not be needed, as the ship is quite fat, but it will give more stability and handle a bit stiffer breeze.....

using a bamboo sheet for the sails, which i'll be starting shortly........

a friend, has a large lathe, and he turned these pedestals for me.......the 3/8'' threaded rods that secure the ballast, which will also secure the two pedestals on a stand, which i haven't made yet....may use a sheet of dark maroon laminate....easy to clean and goes nice with the walnut.....

ha...and no.....i won't be building a case for it :D

DSC_3645a.jpg

DSC_3680a.jpg

DSC_3685a.jpg

DSC_3690a.jpg

DSC_3699a.jpg

DSC_3700a.jpg

DSC_3713a.jpg

DSC_3714a.jpg

Very impressive Vic! Your rigging is turning out nice and knowing that it is functional makes it even greater. I like the canons. The firing action will be cool to see. I'm guessing that you only get the one shot from each barrel though till you bring her back in to port? I do not see a way to reload at sea. Better get that crew trained up to make each shot count! :D

She really is awesome to look at. I bet she is even more impressive in person. Looking forward to seeing her sail!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

thanks ej.....i'm looking forward to the trials next spring-summer too....should finish it by christmas, and then i'll finish, god willing, the confederacy.....after that no more building...will have a clean house from then on :D

..guess i'll not be posting anything till then..will spend time enjoying other peoples builds.......cheers to all....................vic

Just absolutely awesome!. I cannot wait to see a video of her under sail.

Regards

sails........dying didn't work out too well so i left them somewhat off white........and the flags were printed on the silk covered ink-jet paper......not sure if they'll be permanent, but good enough for now........ i sprayed them with a uv protector by krylon......now...a lot of nitty gritty finishing and fixing stuff to do.....

DSC_3715_01a.jpg

• 1 month later...

well..........i'm getting there.......still have to figure out a way to make reef lines that hang down :).....and coil dozens of ropes although the cannons are basically rigged.........wishing everyone the best in the new year.....haha...i left the accelerator on deck......

DSC_3814b.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

I was thinking of you recently, when I found this pic on the net:

https://pin.it/4w6fiegh3b7mtf

You have done a masterful job here, Vic!  This has breen one of the best and most resourceful builds that I have had the pleasure to follow, and I am really stoked to see her on the water.

Will you keep this model, or do you have a buyer for her?

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

golly o gosh hubac....how'd you find that?!!!...thought i found every reference to the couronne available....sheesh.....thanks mucho..... sure nice to see....is it a digital construct?..never thought of checking the saint louis.....was always confused between the couronne and saint louis....maybe they were sister ships......was thinking of adding that sun deck :) midships...but wasn't sure if the lifeboat would be comfortable there, or was it too flimsy a construct to support, and too high.....maybe i should call the ship la couronne saint louis......and thanks for your support, as it is built mainly on desire, with minimum knowledge.......

as much as i'd like to be able to sell it sometime, i doubt in these times, if there would be anyone interested....but after sea trials with videos etc, i may make an effort to find the person who has everything :)....i sold my last one at auction as i didn't know what else to do....i thought it would be my last one hahaha.....i'll probably die with my fingers stuck to a hull with crazy glue....but i can't handle the glue and dust anymore, so this and the confederacy, will be the end of it.....maybe go back to practicing the piano, which i quit last  year.....sooooo...que sera sera.....cheers...and ho ho ho:)

Wow Vic, some of us document every last inch and and some of us just build. Wonderful looking model, I like the size and that you are going to sail her.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.