SHADOW by Omega1234 - Scale 1/300 - Luxury 60m Mega Yacht - Finished

Hiya Patrick,

I have to say, I'm glad you haven't been moving break-neck speed, so I didn't miss the whole build! I know what you mean about life being crazy on-and-off - haven't gotten on here in months between travels with family, work responsibilities, and general miscellaneous stuff happening. So I was worried that you were all done and off on something new. But I'm happy to see that you're really just getting in the thick of it. It's looking really wonderful so far! 

And, PS - the domes are for satellite dishes so that the owner and guests and crew don't miss their favorite TV shows while sitting offshore of Tahiti or something. Three radars that close to each other would interfere with each other. Doesn't impact the way you built it at all, just a fun knowledge tidbit :)

Keep up the excellent work!

I may be wrong, but I think each of those three domes serves a different purpose. So while they may be close, and I have seen numerous pictures of large motor yachts that have the domes in close proximity, I am not sure how much they would interfere. The biggest of the domes would probably be a navigation radar of one kind of or another, the two smaller domes would likely be for the Satellite TV and phone connections. Just my two cents worth.

Edited by bdgiantman2

Hi Ben - welcome back!!!  Thanks for your comments and also the advice about the domes.  The plans that I'm using are really short on details, so, I used a fair bit of guess work with the positioning of the domes.  Oh, well.  I'll probably leave them as is, now.  Good to know, though!

Hi Patrick - I didn't mean at all to say there was a problem; my point was that they're satellites (probably) so they CAN be that close together. It was a comment on terminology (radome/radar vs satellite) rather than the actual arrangement of the build. Sorry for the confusion!

That said, bdgiantman is probably right - they probably serve different purposes - some combination of radar and satellite communications.

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Ben and Brian

One of the best things about MSW is the feedback and advice that people such as yourselves offer. Both of you are far more knowledgeable about these ships than I'll ever be, which makes your advice invaluable. Truth be told, I always wondered what the purpose of the domes were. Now I know.

Have a great week and thanks, once again.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the Likes and comments!  Greatly appreciated.

This is just another quick update.  I've been progressing with the internal fit out, albeit at a very early stage, taking care to ensure that the major cabin bulkheads are fitted and installed.  As usual, a whole bucket load more work to go; but it's a start.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-72088500-1487169377_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-47928000-1487169395_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15991800-1487169411_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-49565800-1487169424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

good looking Patrick,

is the hatch cover on the aft stb side a slide door that opens forward ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

good looking Patrick,

is the hatch cover on the aft stb side a slide door that opens forward ?

Nils

Hi Nils

Thanks and yep!  These hatches on Shadow's port and starboard sides are for her tender garage.  They open outwards to enable the two tenders to be launched and recovered.

Cheers

Patrick

Sweet work Patrick.  The removable decks turned out great - and what a terrific idea.  Your build is so fun to follow.

Gary

P.S.  Do the white and blue couch pillows have zippers so you can change out the stuffing?

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Sweet work Patrick.  The removable decks turned out great - and what a terrific idea.  Your build is so fun to follow.

Gary

P.S.  Do the white and blue couch pillows have zippers so you can change out the stuffing?

Hi Gary - thanks for your comments. Mmm. I'll have to question my supplier about those cushions!

Now it is getting interesting!!! Looking good for starters ... keep it up!

Hi Carl. Thanks! I'll definitely keep you all posted on Shadow's progress.

All the best guys.

Cheers

Patrick

Now you start doing the mini furniture ;). That stuff is crazy :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Lawrence

Many thanks for your compliments.  I'm kinda blushing at the moment, as well as being grateful!

Shadow's been a dream build so far. I don't know why, but somehow, I've not made any major stuff ups, yet.....YET, I say ;) .  Let's hope it stays that way!

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of your Likes and comments.  I really enjoy them, particularly as they put a warm smile on my face  :P .

Anyhow, as the fit-out of Shadow's interior progresses, I've started on her Engine Room, which consists of two decks.  Shadow's small size, as well as the fact that the plans are sadly lacking in detail, has meant that I've had to be realistic about what level of detail I could fit into such a tiny area.  So, please don't be too critical....Oh well, as long as it looks mildly convincing, I'd be happy.  

Whilst there's heaps more work to go, here are the photos so far.

All the best, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-93608500-1487686284_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21424900-1487686299_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-93359600-1487686312_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-72797800-1487686329_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80257200-1487686347_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33668800-1487686363_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-47722200-1487686379_thumb.jpg

You're coming along much faster then I thought.  I'll have to pay closer attention to this beautiful build.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

it's amazing how your taking the plans and populating the decks..........1D to 3D! {I guess that would be correct to say}.  distribution of color,  pipes.....engine wells........man!  your truly on your way to creating a very complex model.........and at a  scale that leaves me in awe!   fantastic work ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

G'day Patrick

Ditto to all the comments!

Regarding your quote about not stuffing things up yet- I hope you haven't junks yourself.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

10 hours ago, gregchard said:

G'day Patrick

Ditto to all the comments!

Regarding your quote about not stuffing things up yet- I hope you haven't junks yourself.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

Hi Greg

Many thanks for your compliments.  I hope you're right, too, about not jinxing myself.  Fingers crossed!

All the best for the weekend.

Cheers

Patrick 

Hi Patrick, the shots of the various decks laid out really give me a sense of how much detail in such a small space you have accomplished. It all look amazing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

9 hours ago, michael mott said:

Hi Patrick, the shots of the various decks laid out really give me a sense of how much detail in such a small space you have accomplished. It all look amazing.

Michael

Hi Michael

Many thanks!  I have to agree with you about the photos with the decks on display.  Seeing them now, emphasises (in my mind), just how complex these types of ships are in real life.  I take my hat off to the modern-day naval architects who can envision and create such wonders.

I hope you're well and that you're enjoying the cold weather over your neck of the woods.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

It's always so much fun to play catch-up on this amazing build Patrick.  I can't believe the progress you've made since the last time I dropped in.
Your work is such an inspiration.  It's like getting an infusion of energy.  

Thanks for sharing.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, SawdustDave said:

It's always so much fun to play catch-up on this amazing build Patrick.  I can't believe the progress you've made since the last time I dropped in.
Your work is such an inspiration.  It's like getting an infusion of energy.  

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Dave

Thanjs for your comments which are greatly appreciated!

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi everyone

Once again, many thanks for all of your comments and Likes!

I've added some more detail to the two decks of Shadow's engine room.  I'm hoping that with the addition of some cupboards, pipes, etc, that it'd look reasonably passable, even though the scale is so tiny.  Bucket loads more to go, though.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers

Patrick

2017-02-24 22.31.49.jpg

2017-02-24 22.29.12.jpg

2017-02-24 22.29.28.jpg

2017-02-24 22.30.56.jpg

2017-02-24 22.28.43.jpg

2017-02-24 22.32.55.jpg

2017-02-24 22.27.25.jpg

Wow¨!!!

Do you use microscope or magic wand ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic