SHADOW by Omega1234 - Scale 1/300 - Luxury 60m Mega Yacht - Finished

Spiffy indeed Patrick and now on to the super spiffy.  Splendid looking ship my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

she's look'in good Patrick!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

fantastic golden Mega-Yacht Patrick,

very nice work from bow to stern.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

11 hours ago, canoe21 said:

Hello Patrick

The paint touch up sure does bring out her full beauty,                                                                                                                             ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence                                                                          

Thanks Lawrence!

10 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

fantastic golden Mega-Yacht Patrick,

very nice work from bow to stern.....

Nils

Thanks Nils!

Cheers. 

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I just enjoyed another review of this incredible build. Each time I think about building schooners smaller than 1:96 or a split half showing the innards, I hesitate. Doing the interior is awesome and seeing your staging of the decks very instructive. 

Thanks for sharing

Jon

Patrick,

I am still amazed a build that small could turn out that good, not withstanding the fantastic accomplishment of all the internal components cannot find enough adjectives to compliment, your patience and fortitude shows in the finished build.

I would have torn my hair out and thrown it against the wall, no on second thought I would not even have attempted it.

Kudos:cheers: 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

On 06/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, Jond said:

I just enjoyed another review of this incredible build. Each time I think about building schooners smaller than 1:96 or a split half showing the innards, I hesitate. Doing the interior is awesome and seeing your staging of the decks very instructive. 

Thanks for sharing

Jon

Hi Jond

Many thanks!  However, someone with your skills will have absolutely no problems doing teeny tiny ships, or anything smaller than 1/96. My only advice to you is to go for it!  

You’ll be amazed at the results, I’m sure.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

On 06/12/2017 at 9:04 PM, John Allen said:

Patrick,

I am still amazed a build that small could turn out that good, not withstanding the fantastic accomplishment of all the internal components cannot find enough adjectives to compliment, your patience and fortitude shows in the finished build.

I would have torn my hair out and thrown it against the wall, no on second thought I would not even have attempted it.

Kudos:cheers: 

Hi John

Thanks heaps for your very kind words. Much appreciated.

Well....Shadow’s teeny tiny, for sure...but heaps of fun to build.

Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend!  

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!  

Firstly, my apologies for not being able to comment on many build logs lately, as I’ve not really had much time....hopefully this will change in the future. 

Secondly, I’m still chasing that elusive perfectly smooth and unblemished paint job on Shadow’s superstructure.  Sadly, the more I look at the close-up photos of Shadow, the more I realise that I’ve still got a lot of work to go.  Oh well......give it time and I’ll get it ‘just right’.

Anyhow, have a great 2018!!!!

Cheers. 

Patrick

3D0112F9-3046-4270-A80B-A9B2FE055FB6.jpeg

112A1C42-1CB6-45B1-B040-8DF50FD9FAC6.jpeg

DFA989D6-71A9-48F0-8BF6-00D69B34DCB0.jpeg

A7B95534-3441-418E-8B6E-8B8C9AD2CD0E.jpeg

DE2DA88C-33CA-4AD3-BD08-535F5EF69547.jpeg

A285AD26-DFB5-4066-BC40-336F989D3F10.jpeg

09756E55-FDB7-4E38-BF7D-82A450ABE1F8.jpeg

76E420C2-4D80-49BF-863A-013B6BA5FC82.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

13 minutes ago, hexnut said:

Looking awesome!  You may be already using something like this, but for mirror finishes, I find these things: https://www.micromark.com/Soft-Touch-Sanding-and-Polishing-Pad-Set-Set-of-6?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Lakytmr2AIV27rACh0Jpg2qEAQYASABEgLXkfD_BwE

to be close to magic...

Hi Bob

Many thanks!!! I didn’t even know such things existed. Having said that, I think my credit card is going to take a big hit!

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

My dear Patrick

"I’m still chasing that elusive perfectly smooth and unblemished paint job"

Easy, you just need to apply coat after coat, sand gradually to 250,000 grit or thereabouts and in a few years you ll get it. (my painful experience with brush painting)

Or you can compromise for a really good paint job! 

It must be summer time down under, I envy the good weather in your photos, here everything is frozen.

Looking forward to seeing this glorious golden paint fully buffed and shining 

Regards

1 hour ago, vaddoc said:

My dear Patrick

"I’m still chasing that elusive perfectly smooth and unblemished paint job"

Easy, you just need to apply coat after coat, sand gradually to 250,000 grit or thereabouts and in a few years you ll get it. (my painful experience with brush painting)

Or you can compromise for a really good paint job! 

It must be summer time down under, I envy the good weather in your photos, here everything is frozen.

Looking forward to seeing this glorious golden paint fully buffed and shining 

Regards

Hi Vaddoc

Thanks!  I hear your pain about ‘brush painting’....I usually pride myself on being able to get a good finish on my models, but, sometimes things just take longer than others to get right.  I’ll keep perservering.

As for the weather here, yep, you’re right. Tis summer time here and it’s definitely hot.  I much prefer the winter (although our winter is probably equivalent to your Spring).

Have a great New Year!  Enjoy.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick,

Here's an old trick we used to use on model cars... toothpaste.  Once sanded smooth as possible put some toothpaste on a soft cloth and start rubbing.   The alternative is rubbing compound but that's pretty aggressive by comparison to toothpaste.   BTW, the mint imparts a nice odor to the workshop and keeps the admiral happy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

looking super Patrick.......once the hull refinishing is done,  she'll look sweet!   can't see much more you could add to her.....except the kitchen sink  ;)    still need to install the engines.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks!!!

I hope everyone had a great Xmas and NewYear break.

5339284B-32F5-4FD1-8A0A-A4A5FFC6C983.thumb.jpeg.b4dba8530486e7ae727bdfda84d50e37.jpeg9AD932F2-B11E-4983-88DC-8B33CFE5CFF8.thumb.jpeg.cddfd1cf7d2552c417a17fd97374389b.jpeg28848141-3F5C-4C43-AE26-BAFE0BCB4E98.thumb.jpeg.f1475002a9015b9827514818fa2f8065.jpegB9483CB2-EB01-4CD0-A358-DEC18F10C8C1.thumb.jpeg.17ca399b90a5466b20709bff6827164c.jpegD6C7DB3A-F17C-4EAD-A66A-8FE43F825410.thumb.jpeg.ff397ff2f53a9aa259455b0fae28855f.jpegB9483CB2-EB01-4CD0-A358-DEC18F10C8C1.thumb.jpeg.17ca399b90a5466b20709bff6827164c.jpegDDBC1867-B368-4965-86E2-691DFAE0821E.thumb.jpeg.a31bac0b6593b79fce06d8d5f5aab9ca.jpeg9902382A-496E-4967-8DF3-531910A6253A.thumb.jpeg.4feb71e7ba2876fb5958b0fd5fffc407.jpegAEE33E41-535D-4BA9-A6EF-4D6144721AEB.thumb.jpeg.efc8a909ae33353eec23250c733cfdfc.jpeg

Well...she's getting there, folks.  Please see the following photos.  I'm finally getting the paint finish on Shadow's superstructure just the way I envisioned; i.e. glassy smooth, unblemished, glossy and crisp.  I know that it's hard to tell from these photos, but i reckon she's looking pretty good.

Also, I've worked hard to get the hull nice, smooth and glossy as well.  I gotta say, that the gold hull is starting to really pop now.

Have a great week!

Cheers  

Patrick

B5236592-B622-49A8-8040-6C38A68A0FE2.jpeg

B5236592-B622-49A8-8040-6C38A68A0FE2.jpeg

D594EAB4-5A25-4ECB-BBBE-80E043D50D8C.jpeg

Hi Patrick - glad to see some more progress.  Shadow looks great, and I'd probably decide to leave her as she is, but I know you'll keep working towards perfection!  You're very patient, my friend.

Hi Frank

Many thanks.  It's certainly taken a while to get this far, but I reckon I've got at least a couple more coats and rub downs in between those coats before I'm totally satisfied.  No doubt, it'll be well worthwhile in the end.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

What Frank said, Patrick.  She looks great.. and very tiny or you have very large hands.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She is looking very good Patrick, especially considering how unforgiving close up photos are. I just love the gold paint!

Thanks Vaddoc

I definitely agree with you about the unforgiving nature of the dreaded “close-up” photos, because I cringe whenever I take them.  On the other hand, it’s probably one of the best ways to see all the little mistakes😉 that aren’t readily visible from a normal distance.

Have a great week!

Cheers. 

Patrick

cameras are hateful creatures you know....... sometimes they show distorted views.   they have a knack for zeroing in on the slightest imperfection.   your gaining on that finish your look'in for......she looks super ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi folks

Just a quick update for you.  I’ve been doing more work on Shadow’s paint scheme.  She now has a black waterline and black radar domes and other little highlights.

Whilst there’s still more work to go, I reckon Shadow’s starting to look all ‘grown-up’.

Have a great week, folks!

Cheers. 

Patrick

451C825B-FAF0-4B9A-84FF-E9852BA4A970.jpeg

3373AE30-F1C3-4017-8BB8-147E186BF964.jpeg

E47B6192-8962-4B6D-A267-6AD52060D137.jpeg

2F872AF8-4862-4BD6-A7E5-609C70A81C32.jpeg

B2AB7AB8-A0BE-4FA8-B6D3-C3788484EFC6.jpeg

CE129CE7-B366-4CE1-BA43-27283CBB7153.jpeg

1C162286-C16B-4A93-B58A-23891D742217.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

A gold plated boat or rather a shiny gold plated boat!  Fantastic job Patric.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)