SHADOW by Omega1234 - Scale 1/300 - Luxury 60m Mega Yacht - Finished

Hi everyone!

Ok.  I'm worried!  Why?  Because so far, I haven't had ANY MAJOR stuff-ups with Shadow's construction.  I'm not used to this!!!!  I'm definitely not in my comfort-zone and I feel uneasy.  My normal pattern of building is to lurch convincingly from one major stuff up, to the next...never quite recovering from the last error, before the next one crops up.  But, noooo, Shadow has to be the exception.  

So far, everything's gone pretty well according to plan.  The hull's straight and narrow.  She's symmetrical longitudinally and laterally.  She's relatively strong and rigid.

Oh, dear God, please let me stuff something up so that I can get back to my normal feelings of discomfort!!!!

Ok, my 'tongue in cheek' rant is over :dancetl6:.  I guess what I'm saying is that I'm pretty happy with Shadow's progress, so far.

Also, I've been scouring the Net for similar mega-yachts and have been transfixed by a couple of boats that have gold coloured hulls.  Weird, I know, but I reckon they look pretty good.  So, what the heck, I've applied a gold/coppery colour to the hull as an experiment.  Mmmm, not too shabby, I reckon.  

I hope you share my enthusiasm for the colour... ;)  ;)  ;)

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-47117600-1473860203_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-31524400-1473860231_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-09294100-1473860244_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-28597400-1473860271_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80928900-1473860280_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

full elegant hull Patrick !!,

I`m amazed how swift you are modeling, you sure know what you are doing there...... ;)   ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Patrick

Why not gold? Gold is a symbol of wealth and THAT ship is also a symbol......so why not use both?

She's coming along great mate and maybe once, if I dare say it, thus build will be stuff up free! Now I jinx you! Sorry about that!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

That looks like one slick hull ... built for smooth sailin' ... well done. Maybe the gold/copper layer will atdd to the smooth displacement of water and a leisurly passage ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

That looks like one slick hull ... built for smooth sailin' ... well done. Maybe the gold/copper layer will atdd to the smooth displacement of water and a leisurly passage ...

Hi Carl - I reckon you're right.  The hull does look pretty nice and shapely.  Perfect for smooth sailing!

G'day Patrick

Why not gold? Gold is a symbol of wealth and THAT ship is also a symbol......so why not use both?

She's coming along great mate and maybe once, if I dare say it, thus build will be stuff up free! Now I jinx you! Sorry about that!

Havagooday

Greg

Hi Greg - thanks.  I don't think you've jinxed me at all.  Knowing me, a major stuff - up is probably just around the corner.... ;)

full elegant hull Patrick !!,

I`m amazed how swift you are modeling, you sure know what you are doing there...... ;)   ;)

Nils

Hi Nils- Thanks.  I'm kinda chuffed at how quickly she's come together, too!

Thanks also to everyone for hitting the Like button.

Cheers

Patrick

Nice color! That is a nice hull!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

it's not the speed in which you build.........it's what you achieved at the finish line  ;)    I'm not going to get too comfy with the color.......chances are you'll see something down the road that will tickle your fancy.........    it will give you a good basis for smoothing out the hull  ;)    looking really good so far!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Seeing your gold hulled ship is reminding me of a game I play on Facebook, named Sunshine Bay. You can buy these gold yachts, but the game makes you pay real money to buy them. Shadow is looking great so far, continue the awesome work, Patrick!

Nice color! That is a nice hull!

it's not the speed in which you build.........it's what you achieved at the finish line   ;)    I'm not going to get too comfy with the color.......chances are you'll see something down the road that will tickle your fancy.........    it will give you a good basis for smoothing out the hull   ;)    looking really good so far!   :)

Thanks guys!!!

Have a great weekend.  Enjoy.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hello Patrick,

Always a pleasure to pull up a chair and watch a miniaturist in motion. I do like your technique and building method regarding the hull. I think us ship in bottle builders can learn a few tricks from you here.

Hull colour? ... Anything that you fancy it's your build!

Jeff

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

Hi Jeff

Many thanks for your compliments! I must say, that that's what I find most inspiring about MSW , ie the fact that we can all learn from each other. After all, where else can you find such a great learning environment?

I hope you're able to continue on with following Shadow's journey.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

HI everyone.  

Many thanks for all of your comments and compliments.  It means heaps to me!

You know, one of the many mistakes I made with Majellan (see my Build Log below) is that I never had a clear idea of how her various decks fitted together, which was a big no-no, because it meant that making sure that access ways and staircases, etc all were correctly aligned vertically and horizontally, was problematic.  

In contrast, I'm going to avoid that mistake with Shadow by being more careful right from the start. For instance, I've cut out all the deck plans in cardboard as templates to ensure that everything is aligned properly.  Smart thinking I say (well...that's the theory anyway).

As you can see from the photos below, each deck is labelled to indicate where the various decks are.  These templates will be essential when marking and aligning the bulkheads and other major structural elements, thereby making sure that everything fits together properly.

All the best!

Patrick 

post-7645-0-06058500-1474117524_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-67946700-1474117535_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-41824000-1474117556_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-85385100-1474117567_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-43616500-1474118028_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, you've given us the view, now just build it up mate. Can't wait to see you start with that bilge deck ... do you make it smelly too ... ;)

Hehe!  Thanks Carl...Trust me....if I stuff up the Bilge Deck, I can assure you, it'll really STINK for sure.... :)  ;)  ;) !!!!

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Patrick.  Great start.  I learned the same lesson about planning ahead on Dunbrody.  I didn't think far enough beyond the tasks in front of me.  As a result there are a lot of inconsistencies I don't like but am too far along to correct.  From now on I'll be trying to plan every detail on a build before starting the build.  It will take more time, but like we used to say in my working life "if you don't take the time to do it right you'll have to find time to do it over".

I totally agree, Frank.  It's a hard lesson to learn, but what's life without the ability to learn from mistakes.

I have to admit though, that if your Dunbrody is far from your best work, then man, I'd hate to see what your perfect work is going to be.  As far as I can see now, she's pretty close to perfection now!

BTW - are you back from your vacation, yet?  If not, enjoy the rest of it!

Cheers and all the best

Patrick 

Hmmm, you've given us the view, now just build it up mate. Can't wait to see you start with that bilge deck ... do you make it smelly too ... ;)

Shadow is a brand new yacht, so she wouldn't have that oily and diesel odor like a more experienced yacht would. Besides, I know that Patrick will hire a crack crew that will be skillful at keeping her with those fresh air scent things and other devices as well as operating and navigating the big ship :D

Shadow is a brand new yacht, so she wouldn't have that oily and diesel odor like a more experienced yacht would. Besides, I know that Patrick will hire a crack crew that will be skillful at keeping her with those fresh air scent things and other devices as well as operating and navigating the big ship :D

Thanks BDGiantman2!

I can't wait to get cracking on the bilge deck, either. And, you're right about the engine room being slick and clean. All of the You Tube vids of engine rooms for large mega-yachts that I've seen show that they're absolutely spic and span. You could probably eat off the floor in these rooms; they're that clean.

Have a great Weekend!

Cheers

Patrick

your all mapped out.......it's going to be a very interesting build.     smelly?   after all........it is the  'bowels' of the ship  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Now, I must say I was a bit shocked with the colour. Gold? But then I googled it and there are some very nice boats out, gold goes very nicely with black white and blue. My aesthetics have changed my dear Patrick! Mind you,I still have not decided on the colour for my ugly duckling so who knows… :P What paint did you use? It looks sprayed on.

Hi Vaddoc

Thanks for the vote of confidence about the gold.  I'm still not totally sold on it because I think it's too dull, i.e. it doesn't have the high gloss effect that's reminiscent of these mega yacht hulls.  So, I think I'll shop around for a glossier gold paint and see how it goes.  With respect to the under the waterline, I was leaning towards a black, which would be a nice contrast.  Having said that, I definitely agree that black and gold is a killer combination!

I'm also interested to see what your colour combination for your Deben cruiser is going to be.  BTW, she's far from an 'ugly duckling' in my eyes.

All the best!

Patrick

Last time when I have seen that kind of yaht was in Kotor, Montenegro ... I felt as I am a fly standing on shore beside ...

post-4738-0-43477900-1474191345.jpg

Another world, another life

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I also want to win Lotto! Even I do not play Lotto

:D

Whole my life I asked myself, how much one must have, to have those toy, to pay all expences of using it couple of weeks at year? What kind of bussines allow you that kind of life? If you have big bussines, you do not have enough time. And where is the point if you can not use this beauty min 6 months at year. Believe me, I am not envy, just do not understand ... same thing: Have a car paid 70-100.000 $ and scratch it on parking?

Just another galaxy. Or I am an Alien

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I also want to win Lotto! Even I do not play Lotto

:D

Whole my life I asked myself, how much one must have, to have those toy, to pay all expences of using it couple of weeks at year? What kind of bussines allow you that kind of life? If you have big bussines, you do not have enough time. And where is the point if you can not use this beauty min 6 months at year. Believe me, I am not envy, just do not understand ... same thing: Have a car paid 70-100.000 $ and scratch it on parking?

Just another galaxy. Or I am an Alien

I hear ya, Nenad, I hear ya!  Unfortunately, there's seldom much logic in this world; especially when it comes to those who have loads of money.  Like the saying goes..."Aah, but are they happy"?

Who knows?  

Anyhow, I think we're happier for not having to pay the insurance on a 200 foot boat ;)  ;)  ;) .  

Have a great week and enjoy it.

Cheers

patrick

I totally agree, Frank.  It's a hard lesson to learn, but what's life without the ability to learn from mistakes.

I have to admit though, that if your Dunbrody is far from your best work, then man, I'd hate to see what your perfect work is going to be.  As far as I can see now, she's pretty close to perfection now!

BTW - are you back from your vacation, yet?  If not, enjoy the rest of it!

Cheers and all the best

Patrick 

Hi Patrick.  Yes, vacation is over.  Last weekend we took a short trip to the midwest for a family function.  I haven't posted any progress on Dunbrody because I've been working on the exterior planking - I'll have an update in the next couple of days.