Lady Nelson by Holty - Amati/Victory Models - Scale 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

More problems, more cursing, I think I have filed our too deep an arch for the bowsprit, need some sort of fill job else it's going to be pointing downward. Again foresight would have been a great bonus here but I'm lacking in that and forward planning. Need to fix but not sure how at the minute, maybe some chewing gum

post-907-0-78180300-1398014404_thumb.jpg

Milliput superfine epoxy putty may be the kind of thing you are looking for. It has a few advantages over chewing gum. Conversely, I suppose I wouldn't chew Milliput after it had hardened.

Tony

Holty, I think those downward pointing Bowsprits were a later addition but only on the smaller Cutters.. ^_^

Let us know how the Chewing Gum goes.. :huh:

Sorry Mate Couldn't resist.

You'll sort it out !

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

As I'm doing one of the Smaller boats it may actually be a feature.. at least that's wot I'm telling myself in advance.. :huh:

Will have to watch out for it indeedy !

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

I believe the downward pointing bowsprits were only on the whaling boats of the period, and then only when chasing larger whales in rougher seas.

Tony

• 1 month later...

I got hold of some Milliput and have filled the gap for the Bowsprit, I haven't got round to sanding it down and blending it back in yet. The epoxy is really good stuff, well worth having that in the drawer.

So I have done some work on the channels, chain stays and Dead eyes. They did not present too much trouble with the aid of tweezers. I have yet to paint them and pin them in to the Wale. Really pleased with them, they serve as a nice little focal point to move eyes away from my muddy wood staining. I am in two minds about running some thin walnut paint over the hull to brighten it although I would probably end up making it worse

post-907-0-95026700-1401182916_thumb.jpg

post-907-0-10622500-1401182921_thumb.jpg

post-907-0-92202700-1401182930_thumb.jpg

Also gave the deck a bit of a spruce, it had lost some varnish whilst I was fiddling about with the gratings. I still don't know how I'm going to colour the Windlass etc, I have seen some modellers paint the same as the Inner planking although I do  like the contrasts in the different woods. 

post-907-0-63228600-1401183204_thumb.jpg

post-907-0-63716100-1401183208_thumb.jpg

looking very sweet Holty,

a fine looking naval cutter, the spruce deck in contrast to the black overwater hull

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Holty, I think it might sit flat on the deck (could be wrong here) and is for strength ! a bit like a Breasthook (breasthooks tend to be up at Cap Rail height on smaller rowing boats etc )

Please wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm or deny this though :rolleyes:

Stay Well

Eamonn

Lady N is looking good by the way  !!

Nice progress Holty, she's looking great, :)  I think that beam is a Breasthook, Pegasus has one situated just above the deck, below the capping rail. I note that in the aots book of the cutter Alert, she doesn't have one but has a deck hook (same sort of thing) below the decking, so it can't  be seen.

Because of the bowsprit arrangement on cutters I doubt there was room to allow the breasthook to be much above the deck line, and on your cutter it looks to be flush with the deck.

B.E.

ps. is there a profile view in the plans which may show whether the breasthook is flush with the deck or just above it?

Edited by Blue Ensign

Thanks B.E. great to know that yourself and other more experienced builders are keeping an eye on me, the help and encouragement is keeping me going. As always a very concise and educated answer, your knowledge is vast. 

The plans don't appear to show it in a profile view, maybe it is on another sheet, Ill have another scour tonight.

My Pickle arrived the other day too, I got it whilst I had the money, the Instructions are much more suited to a beginner I would say. The Instructions with LN are pretty much non existent. I cant wait to apply what I have learnt on the LN to Pickle

Thanks again

Holty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm building the Lady Nelson too, and I found in the Lostmarbles website these instructions:

Cut out the inner bow knee (25), and glue into position at the front of the inner bulwarks and prow stem, so that the top surface of the knee (25) is just below the lowest point of the semi-circular bowsprit hole

Hope it helps,

Bibounde

Current Build - Panderma Ferry

Completed Build - Lady Nelson

So here is an update (at last)

Managed to fix the over filing where the Bowsprit rests, the Epoxy did a sterling job and although it needs a clean up in the pictures its not too apparent. Thought I had a better picture of the bowsprit profile but it is pretty much in line with the keel and not in "Moby Dick catching" mode

Have painted a few bits here and there and finished the stays. I will be re-rigging the guns now I understand what is meant by seizing. Nothing drastic I just want them to lay better, If this was a second model I would have bought new ordinance.

This should keep me occupied for a bit whilst I save for the lathe, I can see this being essential if I plan on sticking with this hobby which I most certainly am.

Thanks for looking in

Holty

post-907-0-02096300-1409052934_thumb.jpg

post-907-0-35575000-1409052937_thumb.jpg

post-907-0-97082800-1409053087_thumb.jpg

Hi Thomasl, there is a proxxon one on Amazon I got my eye on, it's about 140 quid.

Hi Bibounde,thank you for the appreciation, it's a little rough round the edges but I'm pleased with my first go!