HMS Sophie from Cruizer kit by jwvolz (Joe V.) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - kitbash

She's a beauty Joe. The fore and aft decks are very clean and the binnacle is a lovely touch. The wheel looks fine to me. Nice work all round. Also well done with the boat.

• 8 months later...

Another long overdue update. I have done a good bit of work over the last few months, but again have been bad with the documentation.

Anyway...Standing rigging is complete. Again, obviously I did a ton of work with no updates. That was no mere few days of effort. 

I've also gotten the boom and gaff rigged. Line is from a variety of sources and all of the blocks are from Syren. Finally the launch was installed and secured in place. 

cr145.jpg

cr146.jpg

cr148.jpg

cr152.jpg

cr149.jpg

cr150.jpg

cr151.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Beautiful work. A historical note: All Cruisers (all sloops of war, for that matter) carried a 12-pounder carronade for use in the launch during cutting out expeditions. Since the Reindeer shattered the barrel of one of the Wasp's 32-pounder carronades, the latter's captain took the 'short bus gun' aboard and mounted it in the destroyed gun's place. Since Wasp's chase guns were twelve pounders, there was plenty of shot available for it.

The Reindeer originally mounted 32-pounder carronades, but had to throw most of them overboard in a severe storm. The only replacement guns available for her at the time were 24-pounders.

Nice job Joe.  Rigging looks fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I need to get some better photos up. The lights over my work area are rather harsh. 

Frolic: Thanks for the historical info, good stuff. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I took some much better photos  away from the harsh lights of my work table that show detail more clearly.

Thanks for all the nice comments above everyone. 

As usual failing to plan and ignoring the issue is causing me a bit of headache. I have to get Sophie mounted on her display base and at this level of completion it is going to be a challenge. That's my next project before moving onto the yards. Wish me luck...

cr160.jpg

cr161.jpg

cr162.jpg

cr163.jpg

cr164.jpg

cr165.jpg

cr166.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Sophie is safely mounted on her base now (should have been done a long, long time ago in the process...)

The base is Canarywood, which I routed a simple round-over  edge onto, leaving a small lip. The pedestals are Model Shipways brass. I had to shorten the slot depth with a razor saw as they were too deep for the keel. Scratches and dings were polished out and then I rubbed them down with Scothbrite to give them a brushed finish. I was going to seal them with lacquer, but decided I'll let them tarnish naturally, which will look good next to the copper. 

cr168.jpg

cr169.jpg

cr170.jpg

Edited by jwvolz

Joe Volz

Current build:

Really nice Joe.  I found I had to modify the pedestals as well for my Badger.

The canarywood looks great.  I really like it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike. Woodcraft has some nice lumber for things like bases. I've never used Canarywood before, but thought it looked pretty interesting. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

The lower yards are now in place and some of the rigging is complete. I'm rigging them according to the brig Irene book. It's well researched and most of it is backed up by Steel and Levers. Note the crossjack yard only has a parrel and sling, no jeers per the book and well explained there. 

cr175.jpg

cr176.jpg

cr177.jpg

cr178.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the comments and "likes".

I've finished all the rigging on the bow area/spritsail yard. Again, rigged to the Irene book. I'll move on next to finishing installing remaining yards and then on to braces. 

I took a picture down the length of the deck, thought it was a nice "crew-level"perspective...

cr180.jpg

cr181.jpg

cr182.jpg

cr183.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Really beautiful rigging Joe!

Mike

I love the "crew perspective" shot!  And I can see why you chose that canary wood for the base -- handsome!

Overall, a build to be proud of.

Cheers

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Spent a ton of time in the shipyard and made a lot of progress over the weekend. All yards are now in place and have their lifts rigged. I've also rigged the topsail and topgallant braces, as well as the topsail sheets. Made a bunch of rope coils as well, where my variety of line colors becomes a bit obvious, but I'm sure there was plenty of variety in age among lines on the real thing. I'm holding off on the main braces until the rest of the upper rigging is finished so I have room to work. As it is I'm constantly bumping yards and lines while belaying...

cr184.jpg

cr185.jpg

cr186.jpg

cr187.jpg

cr188.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jason. And the "likes".

I'm in the home stretch now, wrapping up the rigging. Have to get some pics.

Joe Volz

Current build: