what powertools to buy

Once upon a time I made furniture and cabinetry. 75 to 80 hours a week... for years.... and I had just about every piece of equipment available. Most went with the sale of the company and i was so tired of woodworking I was happy to see it go... until now... and my recent fascination with little boats - ;)

What tools would I want back to do this work??

My list.... although it could be lots smaller than the stuff we used then...

-a small table saw would be nice

-a band saw or scroll saw would be helpful

-have a router and a bunch of bits

-a thickness sander was essential then... would be nice now but a bench belt and disc sander would do...

-drill press is always useful and that is the one thing I do still have...

-a lathe.. had a 600 pound beast... bit too big for now... one a lot smaller would be handy but not essential,

-planer and jointers... only if I'm milling my own wood (maybe someday :))...

-got a drill, a dremel, chisels and clamps... and finally

-a tiny electric chop saw... then I could retire the aluminum mitre box

I think that would do...

BUT... Really...who do I think I'm kidding... I collected tools like it was my purpose back then and I'd do it again... nothing is better than having just what you need at the ready.... thing is, until you know what you need you gotta know what you need to do and how to do it before the investment...

With sandpaper, a razor knife, a few drill bits, a few clamps and a hand saw almost any kit can be built... the rest just makes it easier ;)

Edited by lamarvalley

I'm trying to recall, but I believe I did my bluenose build with only a cordless drill, a rather bulky one at that, every thing else was hand cut, filed, shaped.

I want to add some tools also. Sounds like a table saw and drill press are most useful. I already have a Dremel.

Just out of curiosity, what does a drill press add that is not done with a drill and drill stand? Is it the precision?

Tony

Thanks, Randy. I guess I could have predicted that, but needed to be clear!

Tony

My drill press is a floor model Jet. It's big and has always been more than ready to handle whatever I need it to do... 3" dia. holes saw, big bore... metal wood whatever.

Having said that tho... if I craft a tiny little brass hinge, 1mm wide and 3 mm long and I need to drill .25 mm holes... there is no way the Jet could do it as it is toooo big... even the chuck is big... so a little jewelers press would be ideal. For me, both would serve different purposes. I looked at both on micromark, the smallest they could do is 1/64 which is .39mm... that's pretty small...but still not as small as I wanted for the hinge :huh:

Rather than say one is better than the other... because i don't know how smooth or fluid they are etc and hate giving advise on where someone should put their money... what plans do you have for a drill press? Some big stuff... all little... in-between? Maybe a split... a bench top that isn't a jewelers or a floor model.... would that serve all your needs?

How about some recomendations for a Jewelers type drill press,I  have located two,one at Micro-Mart and one at Model Expo

Need advise on the foregoing or other Jewelers drill press.

Hi mischief,

Here's another one to consider : Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies  Check the price :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

the smallest they could do is 1/64 which is .39mm... that's pretty small...but still not as small as I wanted for the hinge

Randy, a 5/32" Jacobs Chuck will go down to zero - here's a pic of mine holding a #80 (0.3mm) drill bit. (1/64" is equivalent to a #78) :

Jacobs Chuck 001.jpg

However, you would probably pay more for the chuck than the drill press :huh:  . A cheaper alternative which I used before I bought my Sherline Mill (complete with 5/32 chuck) was to use the end part of a Pinvise in my larger drill press :

Pin Vise in Drill Press 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Oh Danny... you are a creative guy... sitting here smiling and shaking my head at the sheer logic of it... thank you :D

:D  .

Just make sure you use a decent quality Pinvise (hold it by the smooth part, not the knurled section), and your drill press shaft doesn't have any wobble. And don't blame me if you snap a drill - as I said, it's only a cheaper alternative :D .

Cheers, Danny

I’m about to start my first build.  The last few month I have been working on making sure I have all the tools that I will need.  I’m lucky I already have a few that I think will help will this project. I have bought some too. Over the years I have done a lot of veneer work and re-manufacture of   small parts (rebuilding furniture) and one of my tools that I find useful is a router. I think with a good table and a few jigs you could make (square) holes , taper anything ( e.g.: masks, planks, )  corners, shapes of any kind,  just to name a few.                 I’m I wrong that a router is too much for this? I find that the model tool sellers do not sell any  why?

Routers are not too useful for model ship building. I have done a lot of woodworking and I have three routers (one handheld plunge, one table mounted and one for doing dovetail work). Since I started making my ship model I have not touched any of them. One reason is that the smallest bit I have is 1/8 diameter and my setups are too course for any of the detailing. Cutting grooves and making molding can be done with razor blades that have a pattern cut into the edge. Use search here to find out how.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I'd agree that routers aren't a go-to tool but I did use one just recently to create the risers...? I'm making that word up ... for the spanner or riser between the upper and lower part of a crows nest... It's not done yet so perhaps I'm being premature but it did give me a profile that I needed for 18 spanners/rises/vanes... :blink:

And Danny... don't worry... I have been forewarned and I tend to approach all equipment with respect.... and attaching with the knob... would be interesting... for a second or two ;)

Danny I am glad you clarified the last part about putting a pinvise into your drill press. It is a good idea, so I tried it and sure enough the little rascal was spinning all over the place. But after some 'tuning' it did work.

post-246-0-33156100-1368672120_thumb.jpg

What I also have done is to use the collet that comes with a Dremmel kind of tool. You can insert that directly into the chuck.

post-246-0-79778600-1368672127.jpg

Another way is to buy some drills that are a lot more stable because they have a 1/8 inch shank. One source for a few is https://www.mcfeelys.com/product/PX-88/Tungsten-Vanadium-Micro-Twist-Drill-Bits

But there are several others.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi Jay,

Another way is to buy some drills that are a lot more stable because they have a 1/8 inch shank.

The problem with those drills is they only come in a limited number of sizes (good thing is that they are probably the most commonly used ones :) ). If anyone knows of a supplier who has them in 0.1mm increments and/or Number drills I'd love to know their address.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Greetings folks -- this is an interesting thread, since I think we all want tools, need tools, AND advice on which tools to invest in and on how to make the most use out them.

We have a similar discussion about drill presses at

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1643-x-y-attachment-for-dremel/

JPett has invested in a Vanda lay drill press that uses the Dremel, so you might want to check out his picture.

Meanwhile, as for "necessary" tools, I'll say that I started with a Dremel, which I have used for carving, following Bill Short's practicum, and found it absolutely wonderful (and those little tiny micro burrs).  Then I have a scroll saw, which, after 3 years I'm still learning (ie, still ruining too much wood).  And -- woohoo! the Byrnes saw, that I love and cherish.  And now I'm debating between that drill press and a wood mill.  My Dad gave me a grinder last year that I haven't taken out of the box yet.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

well after thinking about it alot the table saw is what i will go for first as i think it wil have the most use for me while i am stil building kits.

the Byrnes saw would be my favorite but with some of the option and the freight cost it might be a bit expensive for me

Proxxon has a very cheap one and a very expensive one but i can get those localy (inporter is less then 2 hours drive from me but freight costs are cheap)

so stil need to decide what i am going to do

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80