USS Essex CV-9 by CDW (Craig) - Trumpeter - 1:350 - PLASTIC

I feel your pain my friend :o I am Dredding doing my  Orks and there sheids - even with glasses and under my magnifier they will be Sooooo  difficult.

Sometimes I wish you could get certain items Pre-made when they are that small :o;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The amount of self torture (pe) going on here is out of this world. :o

This is so good.... to watch. And watch only...I'll never be able to handle this amount of pe myself.

My respect!

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Brilliant work!

I must be a bit strange, but I probably find doing that type of work the most enjoyable, certainly the most rewarding!

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Here is a sample of the Quad 40mm Bofors units after the parts have been assembled.

What I learned was that the resin parts are much easier to see after they have received a coat of primer. It's strange how they are so difficult to see without paint, but with it is a breeze by comparison. The primer seems to bring out the details that are camouflaged before painting.

Just in case anyone else decides to do a build of their own which includes these Pontos Quad 40mm Bofors gun tubs, I highly recommend that the front shields be bent to the proper shape using the resin gun tub as a pattern before any of the other sub assemblies have been attached. This makes it much easier and faster to do because you won't have to be concerned about knocking off some of the minute, small details. Some of these extremely small pieces include the gun sights and gunner's seats.

My paint was applied with an airbrush this time as a brush might be more likely to break away some of the small details. The primer I am using is Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane which I highly recommend due to the fine pigment and ease of cover provided. I apply it straight from the bottle with a gravity fed airbrush using no reducer at all. Only a couple of drops are necessary to cover one gun assembly so there is almost no waste of paint whatsoever. :rolleyes: 

With my Harder and Steenbeck airbrush, cleanup of the brush after paint is a snap. it literally only takes seconds to do, whereas other types of airbrushes take considerably longer to clean up. A huge plus when you are doing small items like these.

G5EkJoe.jpg

ASMWbWM.jpg

3hGINEe.jpg

I might also mention that I primarily use two types of glue to assemble small parts like these. One is Gorilla Glue (CA) in the bottle with the blue top. The other is Gator Grip extra thin Acrylic glue.

As an example, the gun barrel/breach assemblies are glued to the gun tub mounts using the CA glue, while the front gun shields are glued with the acrylic glue. The acrylic glue is much more forgiving in allowing fine adjustments for correct part positioning while CA is not so forgiving. Suprisingly, the acrylic glue does not take a long time to set and get tacky. Only minutes. 

Liking your ideas my friend - tend to use PVA either diluted or neat  in a glass and applied with a fine paint brush point,  or I also use CA but from a fine pointed end to dab just a pin prick amount of CA.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That is some awesome!! work.......

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I'm a huge fan of Vallejo acrylics...I use nothing else anymore, but I dislike their rattlecan primer with a passion. :(

I prefer the Tamiya primer.

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Have never tried the Vallejo rattle cans, but use Tamiya and Mr. Surfacer all the time. For some reason, have never seen the Vallejo rattle cans in any local hobby shops and as a consequence didn't know they existed. Both Tamiya and Mr. Surfacer have very good light fill characteristics IMHO. The Vallejo primer in the bottles work well on photo etch and small detailed parts as they don't tend to fill in details.

The Vallejo primer in the bottles work well on photo etch and small detailed parts as they don't tend to fill in details.

Thanks! I'll try that also.

Both Tamiya and Mr. Surfacer have very good light fill characteristics IMHO.

Yep...agreed! 

Robin :)

Any thoughts on Rattle Can Flat top coats?   I read that  Mr  Topcoat is quite good in Rattle cans ?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

As in flat clear coats, or flat color coats? I have not used any flat clear coat rattle can paint on my models in recent times. But I do use Tamiya gloss color coat paint in rattle cans for my car models. Excellent, very high quality. I would think their flat coat rattle can paints are good as well, but just guessing.

Are you safe at the moment with that Massive storm  - Hope your Ok?

OC

Current builds  

Completed works.

We are on the west coast, while the eye of the storm is passing south to north along the east coast. We will likely see tropical force winds early this morning and maybe tomorrow unless the storm makes a course adjustment. Then all bets are off.  :rolleyes:

But for now, we are fine.

I'm just glad I'm retired and can stay at home with my family rather than be locked in a command operations center like I used to do when these type threats came across.

Edited by daddyrabbit1954

We are on the west coast, while the eye of the storm is passing south to north along the east coast. We will likely see tropical force winds early this morning and maybe tomorrow unless the storm makes a course adjustment. Then all bets are off.  :rolleyes:

But for now, we are fine.

I'm just glad I'm retired and can stay at home with my family rather than be locked in a command operations center like I used to do when these type threats came across.

Thank goodness  :)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Finally got around to posting some new photos up to Imgur today and will share them with you, here.

First, I recently received a new set of various colors of wash from Flory Models, located in the UK. Their wash are clay pigments, water based. They are easy to work with and act a little differently than oil based washes. I painted my hangar deck with light gray, then gave it a wash of gray with the Flory Models product. After the wash dries, wipe off the excess with a lightly dampened paper towel. The pictures depict what it looks like immediately after application (with a brush), and then what it looks like after it dries and is cleaned up with a damp towel.

Id0TBc1.jpg

4gPPySi.jpg

iO5OywW.jpg

ymPRUwD.jpg

Next are pictures of the fiddly bits (photo etch bits) located under the front of the flight deck. These parts represent the steel structure members and catwalks in the sequence I built them.

baI94Cn.jpg

bqqtyH6.jpg

BxFts2R.jpg

X0AuyDK.jpg

JemjR96.jpg

ygknqnx.jpg

Loving your work there and that Flory Wash looks excellent also love those tiny pegs that look like cloths washing pegs ;):) :)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Exactly...Lol

Except this one has more bells and whistles that I will probably never use. 

In another week, I am going to our nation's capital with my wife and youngest daughter. Want the daughter to see some of the major sites there. Will take LOTS of pictures and give this new camera a workout. 

If it's like my last visit to DC, will spend a week just looking through the Smithsonian aerospace and natural science museums.  

I think once I learn this new camera, it will give much better picture quality than the old camera. However to be fair, I never really knew all the operating aspects of the old camera. Perhaps this new one has a better auto focus feature as I have not even attempted a manual focus on either camera, much less all the other features.

What type of camera is it (another one of my hobbies ;) )

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Close ups are very good ... my coolpix 3600 doesn't give me that quality, I still ponder on changing my Canon EOS 400D for a higher end Canon, haven't decided yet ... so many things I want ... Should have been born a biljionair ;)

Take care, most close ups don't focus because we keep the camera to close

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Close ups are very good ... my coolpix 3600 doesn't give me that quality, I still ponder on changing my Canon EOS 400D for a higher end Canon, haven't decided yet ... so many things I want ... Should have been born a biljionair ;)

Take care, most close ups don't focus because we keep the camera to close

Bridge cameras come into thier own right with close up work, I had a fuji  X-S1 that died so I have been borrowing one from a friend to take my shots, I can get as close as a couple of cm's  in the macro mode.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

This Coolpix seems to be able to auto focus even very close as long as it's in the macro mode. My previous camera had a lot of trouble doing that in auto focus mode. Sometimes it would, sometimes not. Then too, the lens quality wasn't as good as this Nikon seems to be. I picked up this like-new Nikon camera from Ebay for $90 (including postage). Very happy with it so far. The camera shop who sold it gives a 6 month full warranty, so I feel confident with that.