Papegojan 1627 by mati - FINISHED - 1/48

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thank you very much @BobG and @GrandpaPhil for your nice comments :) 🍻

Hi All,

So I've manage to make last to pieces of decoration son this vessel  🥴

Two "soldier" heads... or whatever they should be 😆

Carvings made one again from Laotian boxwood.

Only last few details missing... and I will be able to call the build complete 😜

5DM34997.thumb.JPG.f45968d99f4f1a399f69fdfe03f62a4e.JPG

5DM35001.thumb.JPG.792b193b0f234b4c84967791e59e7844.JPG

5DM35003.thumb.JPG.26155b75aa3b5f8b9d24a8f56f8b3a36.JPG

5DM35016.thumb.JPG.56a50847512af0187689b3f0357bb2bd.JPG

Cheers,

Matt

Thank you @scrubbyj427 for your comment :)

Ok Dear Friends :) 

THE END 

This day has come :) Model is finally completed.
After many years of resting under the cover, I've managed to tie last knot :)

I would like to thank you All for many likes and warm comments BeerBeerBeerBeerBeer

So at that stage I would like to share some final "shots" of Papegojan :)

200443766_Papegojan1627-3.thumb.jpg.7b2982ad4eb1ba85feee69e0231b40a3.jpg

1393126649_Papegojan1627-2.thumb.jpg.f2625e8c7790c0c989cc99be0fb35c13.jpg

1424940285_Papegojan1627-4.thumb.jpg.cac44183ec2d1009baa539267d41d835.jpg

1539694450_Papegojan1627-1.thumb.jpg.9aa30f83062ac091025ec890ee5b5c1b.jpg

Enjoy... and hopefully see you soon! :)

...not sure when... but I'll be back :)

Keep calm and carry on with Your beautiful models!!!

Beautiful work.   Have an adult beverage, relax, be proud of the ship, and contemplate your next model.    :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your many rigging pictures are an answer to a prayer ... the rigging of this 'smaller Wasa' of 1627 can be a template for eventual finishing of my languishing 1:100 Billing Wasa (c.1970 kit).  The mast p[roportions are great, and the Wasa only needs diminutive top gallants above the topsail yards.  Sure, the Anderson book (and others) have good information, but your build shows step-by-step how its done - with every rope having a purpose.  Kudos, and a toast to you !   Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Congratulations!  Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hi All,

I can't thank you enough for so many generous and nice comments and all likes!
I really appreciate it! Thank you!   
It gives me so much motivation to make sure that the next model it is going to be perfect 

Thank you @mtaylor @GrandpaPhil @ccoyle 

@BobG I'm still not 100% sure what will be next... but I will make sure it will be interesting subject...

@Snug Harbor Johnny Thank you :) I'm glad you finding my work helpful or where you can find some answers. That's right... for Vasa with a little bit of imagination you will be able to easily rig top gallants. 

However, it's more complex... 

671088945_Zrzutekranu2021-05-25o10_04_43.png.0f223ab90809c31f1d294b1d984f6f20.png

Please have a look also at Witsen Pinas drawing from Ab Hoving publication. It was re-drawn by Cor Emke in higher resolution.

It will give you possibility to zoom in and look closer at rigging... some of the solutions represent in his drawing can be applied to Vasa.

https://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/images/Pinas4 big.pdf

Witsen - Tekeningen - Ab Hoving.pdf

If you will have some doubts let me know... maybe I will be able to clarify something and help. Good luck!

@Farbror Fartyg Thank you very much for your comment. I'm really glad you enjoyed my build :) Hopefully see you soon in my next build ;) 

Keep calm and carry on building beautiful models   

Cheers,
Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

What an amazing model!!

Pure perfection!

Coincidentally, my son and me have built the same ship, as a RC model (I have just created a thread).

Where I had thought we have been quite true to the historic original, I have just learned we only have created a rough approximation, when looking at yours 🙂

Edited by Metaspace