Papegojan 1627 by mati - FINISHED - 1/48

Metal parts preserved using microcristal wax...

Forgive my ignorance but what is "Microcristal Wax" ?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Anja!

Microcrystalline wax is special refined wax with no acid component.

Provide a protective layer and helps to avoid oxidation, corrosion and preserve patina.

Also conserve wood, paintings, lether...

If I have good memory formula was created in British Museum and belong to them.

I hope that I clear up your mind ;)

Best regards
Matt

Matt,

Thank you for your prompt explanation.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hi Mati,

I just found your build log and am amazed at your work!  I love this era of Dutch ships and I think this is the best model of one I have ever seen.  Very inspiring.  Will be watching your progress eagerly.  Thanks for doing this build log.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Jan

Dim. of the plane

L 85mm and W 35mm

Very good and sharp friend for that kind of work ;)

If you would like to find the same, plane is made by KUNZ, and I belive it will cost about 20 euro.

...and thank you very much guys for nice comments :)
I'm trying to do my best...

Best regards,

Matt

That is exactly how Wasa should look like before King ordered to add a second gundeck..

Amazing! Love that kind of ships, and that build is impressing, like "maybe someday I will be able to do something like this"

Thank you fellows for positive comments!

Last two days I spend with figurehead. Which is lion ;)

I used laotan boxwood. Fantastic material for carving.

I'm quite pleased with final effect... that was my first carved figurehead and to my astonishment witout scrap :P

post-3037-0-46463100-1422205781_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-80527200-1422205797_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-54641600-1422205810_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-00038700-1422205827_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-80093500-1422205847_thumb.jpg

And some tools which I used for carving...
Without any fancy stuff...

post-3037-0-26258300-1422205886_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Matt

Edited by mati

Beautiful work on the figurehead, Matt. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really wonderful figurehead. Well done

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Jan and that is exactly what I'm using. Common pure asphalt... very very dense.
I have friend who got for me a jar of asphalt. He's employee in one of petroleum refinery.

Unfortunately I don't have any link to any web site where you can buy it.

Generally the reason why I add asphalt to bees wax mixture is to gain more vintage colour of wood.
And it's really works ;)
But like a replacment for asphalt you can use wood tar (e.g. birch)

Matt

Edited by mati

Matt the figurehead looks beautiful, I like the finish that you have achieved. can you give us the formula or the proportions of how you prepare the finish wax?

Michael

Michael,
Of course I can give you formula.
You need bees wax, paraffine, terpentine, extraction naphtha, rosin and natural soap and you need to add also some dark colour so I'm using birch tar or asphalt.
As regards to proportion... here situation is more complicated...
You need to take more or less the same amount of wax and parish and cooked with liquids (don't allow to boil... otherwise you gonna play like a fireman :P ... I recomend to use electrical cooker) and other components. Let it cool down and then try how it's work.

You just need to try to do it and draw conclusions becouse process of making and covering is quite problematic and the best way to understand it is to get dirty ;)
I saw somewhere into the abyss of MSW that somebody already showed very similar mixture very recently... but I don't remeber where :P

Good luck ;)

Thank you ALL for very nice comments!
:cheers:

Cheers,
Matt

Edited by mati

Hello Matt

You have a beautiful build going on a magnificent vessel. Your carvings are amazing and I especially like the carving in the stem.

On your recipe for the beeswax finish you mention parish? I'm not sure exactly what that is, could you give further information. Also I was wondering is the rosin added for colour or other properties. Also the same with the soap, what properties does it impart? I also was wondering if you have ever used carnauba wax in a mix as I read it helps create a harder surface? I have also seen boiled linseed oil used in some recipes, do you have any experience with that.

Sorry for so many questions, but as you said, one must get there hands dirty and experiment and I am in the process of gathering ingredients for testing. Knowing what properties each ingredient imparts helps in making the correct mix. Thank you for any advise you can give and also for sharing your Dutch Pinnace build Papegojan.

Keith,

I don't know what's happened but should be paraffine not parish :D haha... just some mistake...

Rosin 'll give plastic properties... but don't give it to much.

Colour of mixture you can control with tar or asphalt...

As regards to soap... most probably provide alkalize properties. As you know bees wax i quite high with acids.

I've never used carnauba wax but I know that is used as a hardener for bees wax and here that kind of feature is unnecessary. You don't want to achive crust.

You mention about boiling of oils... it'll help I belive to penetrate more deeply wood.

That kind of wax mixture is very natural let say... it was use for many many years in furniture workshops. Can be polished as well... provide very nice shinny layer.

I belive you 'll find a lot of information about it in internet as well.

As I said making and covering is quite problematic... also quite stinky as they told me (I like that smell anyway and it not bother me at all :D) so many people just give up... and on the end of the day they 'll use tung, linseed oil warm or cold or other inventions ;)

But try... it'll be always some other experience.

Good luck ;)

Matt

Edited by mati