Papegojan 1627 by mati - FINISHED - 1/48

Beautiful planking job on your build... It looks like you spiled  your planks... did you cut them from sheet or did you use just use reg plank strips?

Frank

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Beautiful workmanship. Excellent details as well.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 1 year later...

Hello :)

I'm still alive... and today I have little update.
I'm working now on gunport lids.

18 lids... not a lot but... bit complicated because of hinges... 1 hinge = 8 pieces.
Hinges are moving parts. I don't now why because anyway there gonna be fixed :) Just some kind of mild modellers perversion :D

Soldering: copper-phosphoric paste

Hinges are not final finished. I'll do final cleaning and polish when I will make all of them... 36

post-3037-0-21141400-1461778781_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-60193800-1461778793_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-65637800-1461778800_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-53815200-1461778769_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-02226000-1461778805_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-70981400-1461778810_thumb.jpg

Kind regards
Mateusz

Well Mati,

Outstanding your choice of woods is primo.

Very clean, and pleasing to the eye. Nice flow pristine.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Mati,

Your build of papegojan is fantastic. Wish I had time to go through it again and click like on all of your inputs.

But now you know, I like it very much!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nice to see another update from your build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hello fellows,

This time I'd like to show you my technic for making deadeyes.

So first I've made project in Corel DRAW. After that CNC and final result was full frame of "deadeyes"

As you see their are glued... kind of sandwich ;)

post-3037-0-59168700-1462639307_thumb.jpg

Also for this technic I've made little jig for lathing.

post-3037-0-45045000-1462639311_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-43101100-1462639303_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-59779000-1462639305_thumb.jpg

Enjoy ;)

Intriguing method for making the dead eyes Mati.  Something for me to remember and yes, i have made a note of it.

Thanks for showing.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Now that is a new way! And I like it very much!

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Beautiful Matt!

I just love the lines of these Dutch vessels and your craftsmanship and attention to detail are incredible! I will be following this one if you don't mind!

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Wow... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work Mati!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Mati,

Those picture you uploaded are crispy clean!

Extremely nice photo job along with the parts!

Respectfully

Hello Matt,

Wonderful build log and a testament to your scratch building expertise. If you don't mind me asking. .What material would you use for making things like eyebolts and how would go about blackening them. Also, it appears that in post #2 you blackened the nails after they were inserted into the wood?? I have tried to blacken brass using "Blacken-it" with mixed results. Dark annealed steel wire works okay but, the color wears off easily.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

First... I'd like to "say" thank you all for kind comments.

Mike,
According to your question.
In some places yes, I did brass blackening "on wood".
Mostly I did it for nails. After sanding or file it is already nice clean surface, but I always give final finish with steel wool (number 0000)
For blackening I've used Brass Black (Birchwood Casey) but... you have to clean solution (water and brush) quite fast because of residual which may occure stain on the wood. 
I'm more pleased with result using JAX product for darkening brass. After reaction with brass won't stain the wood. It's much cleaner process. Of course I've still cleaned with water residuals of the solution. 

Another method... is to use copper wire and blacken it with potassium polysulfide (K2S) (liver of sulphur) Very nice and fast blackening solution for copper. But also you have to clean residual with water. Otherwise you will get yellowish stains. 

For eyebolts I think brass will be the best material. And here I can recommend two methods: first you wind 0,5mm wire to create kind of spring on some rod let say 1,5mm diam. and cut out with jewelry saw a single rings, then piece of straight rod solder to those rings (maybe silver solder If you fell that you can challenge that solder) And nice, symmetric eyebolt will be made.
Second method... just to bend and form eyebolt from brass wire. And also solder to close eyebolt. Faster... but I thing less effective method. 
For blackening... brass so you can easily go for your Blacken-It or buy Brass Black from Birchwood (great solution... really!) or JAX products.
But... as I wrote in some post before... to allow create blackening solution layer of our desire color... we have to prepare surface properly. 
So... either classic acetone, citric acid or some cleaning and degreasing solution from mentioned above companies. 
I have no idea how is in US with some chemicals... but you can get also iron chloride (III) FeCl3 or ready 40% solution. Great stuff for cleaning metal... or actually etching the surface. FeCl3 is solution used in etching PCB... so I think it's easy to get on the market.
If you use more classic method like acetone then before blackening dump the element into kitchen vinegar for a while. Vinegar will create microporous surface which help to hold our blackening effect.

By the way... If you want to protect you blackening effect more permanent you can always spray detail after blackening with acrylic matt varnish (e.g. Humbrol)... no way that will go off ;)

If you have any doubts don't hesitate to ask. If I know I'll help with pleasure.

Cheers,
Matt

Edited by mati