Scroll saw for bow pieces and frames

Hi all

I have read all the posts about scroll saws, band saws, etc.

I have a rather specific set of requirements and would like some advice and directions from owners.

I will be cutting some pieces for my next build from holly for the bow pieces, and my micromark microliux mini scroll saw isn't up to the job. I also don't like that it doesn't have a vacuum port or blade dust blower. Looking for a replacement that is more capable and higher quality. .

I have a Byrnes table saw so no need for ripping or straight cuts.

Would like it to have vacuum port but not a deal-breaker.

Unlikely to be cutting more than 1/4 or perhaps 3/8 inch woods including boxwood, cherry, holly, and ply. No metal or plastics.

Will be doing a cross section in the future so capability to cut frame pieces inside and outside curves essential. I don't have the patience or dexterity to do this work with a coping saw.

Modeling work only and space is constrained so don't want or need a "full sized " tool. A footprint similar to the micromark saw would be ideal.

Willing to pay for a good tool but realistically $500 tops would prefer less.

Is the similar sized and priced Proxxon an upgrade? Other suggestions feom users with similar tasks?

Bruce

Where are you located Bruce?   Here in the States a good scroll saw and/or bandsaw can be purchased at any DIY place like Lowe's or Home Depot for a lot less than $500.   I have an 18" HItachi which does all that I could want in a scroll saw from the smallest pieces to wood for home projects.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm in the US.

Went to Lowes today and they only had one scroll saw which was too big.

The $500 was absolute top for highest quality. Would prefer to spend much less but needs to be a clear upgrade or I'll get by with the micromark saw as long as it lasts if it will cut the .5 cm holly when I start my Granado build.

Frames have a pretty smooth curves, maybe bandsaw is good enough? Especially if the blade is narrow.

I use Proxxon band saw, and it is perfect for frames. Never needed any scroll saw.

More expensive tho, and some of the work I want to do has sharper curves

Think I'll go with the Proxxon micro.

Thanks

You mean DS115?

I bought one for my 10yr old nephew, and tested it a bit before giving it to him. With stock blades it is very weak, tried to cut 8mm piece of pear - you need to push quite a lot, which leads to innacurate curves due to twisting blade. Or be reeeeally patient. 

A table top bandsaw sounds like what you are looking for.  The offerings out there range from excellent to awful so do your homework before picking which one you want to go with.  Price isn't always the best indicator or value.  Look for good used ones.  Many people do not realize that a bandsaw needs to be tuned up before it will do precision work and get frustrated resulting in selling a near new saw for a low price.  For fine work you can get blades down to 1/16" and even a small saw should be capable of handling a 3/8" blade for ripping.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

A Rikon 10"  ( or a generic 9" ) band saw -  with a Carter stabilizer - even with the limit of a 1/8" blade - sharp curves can be cut.  The Rikon was on sale a lot this Summer - maybe a deal could be had still?  I am not sure, but maybe the Rikon has enough power that adding a Wood Slicer 1/2" blade would add the ability to do some resawing in the 2" or lower thickness range.

Band saw blades have set, so cutting too close to the line is not what you would want to do.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks for all the opinions.

Have a table saw for all ripping. Won't be dotting anything more than 3/8.

Limited space too.

I think the Proxxon 115 will work for me.

The Proxxon is a fine saw but limited in size.  If that is all you will need it is a great pick.  However for about half the price ($155 from Amazon) you can get the Skil 3386 9" band saw that will be much more capable.  Just my preference but I like to get a tool with more power and capacity than I need so that in the event I want to do more demanding projects I will have the tool available.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.