HMS Triton cross section - FINISHED - by G.L. Scale 1:24

A cross section is in fact a slice of a ship which is sawn out of it. I want to up light all the kerfs by painting them in red. On the lower deck a piece of deck remained to  support the stairs, where the deck is cut, the kerf is painted in red.

131.JPG

132.JPG

Now the gun deck structure has to be re-puzzled. I start with the gun deck stanchions. They will be kept on position by a bamboo pin on the foot and at the top. The deck beams are glued on top of them.

133.JPG

134.JPG

135.JPG

Wow that looks really clean . Beautiful work G.L.

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 2 weeks later...

I will now make the forward hatch ladder. Because there is always a slight difference between the plans and the execution of those plans, I take the dimensions of the ladder immediately from the model.

148.JPG

149.JPG

150.JPG

The stringers are 2.5 mm thick, so I plane two planks to that thickness (2 because there have to be made 2 stringers in mirror image). I set my table saw for a thickness of ±1.2 mm and saw the grooves for the steps. Some time ago I made a simple table saw sled on which I glued a piece of millimeter paper, that makes it easy to saw the groves exactly parallel and with the correct intervals.

151.JPG

152.JPG

153.JPG

The ladder looks great ,I will try to use your technique when I get that far .thanks for the detailed post.

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 1 month later...

I make the grating in walnut because it is a better wood than oak to saw out little pieces. I start to saw 3x3 mm thick planks and I glue them together with a drip of wood glue at each end. Like this they form a 3 mm thick plank.

164.JPG

165.JPG

On my Proxxon saw table I like to use a table saw sledge on which a millimeter paper is glued with the 0 mm line exactly on the saw blade edge. With the help of that sledge it is easy to saw 3 mm wide grooves of 1.5 mm deep at 3 mm intervals.

166.JPG

167.JPG

In the grooves I glue 3 mm wide and 1.5 mm thick laths.            
I start at the outsides and form the grating on a piece of mm paper to be able to glue the laths at 3 mm interspaces

168.JPG

169.JPG

I glue them together using the same piece of millimeter paper as before to obtain right angles. I let the glue of the hatches dry with some weights on top of them. On completion I check them on the cross section.

173.JPG

174.JPG

175.JPG