HMS Triton cross section - FINISHED - by G.L. Scale 1:24

G.L. You do fine work ,thanks for the detailed log and thanks for getting me straight on my beams and carlings  

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 2 weeks later...

While continuing the inboard planking upward from the gun deck, it becomes clear what I realized already since a while. I made the gun port openings already at the start in the frame production stage. Now it seems that the gun port sills are sitting too low.

185.JPG

My mistake can be resolved and will fortunately been hidden by the inner and outer hull planking. I start to place new gun port sills. Now I have the exact height indicated by the inboard planking.

187.JPG

188.JPG

My frames are also a little too short. It is not really a problem for the most of them because their top ends will be hidden by the inner and outer planking, but the fourth futtock of frame sticks out of the sheer rail and must be lengthened at both sides. To have a larger glue surface, I saw them off under an angle of approximate 45° and glue a comfortable long piece on top of it. I do the same with the fourth futtock of frame C because this one remains also visible.

194.JPG

195.JPG

196.JPG

Maybe an advice to future Triton cross section builders is at its place here: Wait until you are arrive at the planking at the level of the  gun ports before placing the gun port sills and lintels and make the frames (fourth futtock and top timber) some centimeters higher than indicated on the plan.

197.jpg

While applying the inner planking and rectifying my mistakes with the port holes and the frame lengths, I continue laying the gun deck. Like on the lower deck only the portside will be fully planked. At the starboard side planking will be omitted from the starboard topsail sheet bit on. I lay the first two planks on each side of the forward hatch.

198.JPG

I start the outside planking with placing the wales.

Inspired by a lot of Triton cross section builders, I decide to make the wales in an anker stock pattern. Accordingly to 'Historic ship models' of Zu Montfeld the planks were 384 cm long and 12 cm wide at the ends and 24 cm in the middle. It is not possible to keep those exact sizes due to the frame intervals and the wales with on the cross section drawings. I draw a pattern with wales of which the dimensions are as close as possible.

208.JPG

209.JPG

Some small nails in pre drilled holes keep the trims on their place when the glue is drying. As You can also see I glued little pieces of wood to lengthen the frames which were a bit too short.

218.JPG

Really nice progress. My section in quarterscale is big but your model must be really huge

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali