1954 Chris-Craft Commander Express by mtdoramike - Dumas - RADIO - 36"

I'm looking at ZPoxy finishing epoxy resin and some non starched 1 OZ fiberglass cloth to finish off the Commander. I'm getting close to starting the build on the Commander within the next couple of weeks. I hope to at least get the sails mounted to the Monte before putting it aside for a little break and fiddle with something else for a change of pace.

mike

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be starting the build on this project in a few days. I'm going to put aside the MOnte for a few weeks and do a little work on the Commander for a little break from the rigging on the Monte. So Stay tuned, I will post some progress pictures shortly I hope.

mike

OK, here we go.....................I dug out the Commander box this morning and emptied out the contents to do a quick inventory and while I had it all out of the box, I figured I would give anyone who is interested in building this kit just what is in the box. This kit is not for the faint of heart, but if you have a little building experience you shouldn't have too much trouble building it. But I will have a better determination of that once I get her built. Now the box weighs about 18 pounds and is quite hefty. Now once I had all the parts laid out I quickly realized what a substantial kit this is for the money. I have seen this kit selling for as little as $240.00 and as high as $400.00 which is quite a price spread, so shop around. I purchased mine off of Ebay for no where near that amount. So keep your eyes open, you might find a deal on this kit because I think people buy the kit with good intentions of building it, but once they get it home and realize how much work is involved they either sit on it for a few years or they eventually sell it. You will also have to purchase the running hardware separately, which will set you back about $75.00. 

I have had a couple of people ask me for the plans once I'm finished with the build. I DO NOT SELL PLANS of ship models that I have built. If you want a copy of the plans you can purchase them from Dumas for about $25.00. Plus, these plans aren't worth a hoot for scratch building as they are not to scale. So I will be using the plans as well as the instruction booklet to build this kit. Stay tuned for updates.   

DSC00274.JPG

DSC00277.JPG

DSC00285.JPG

DSC00278.JPG

DSC00286.JPG

DSC00281.JPG

DSC00284.JPG

DSC00275.JPG

DSC00276.JPG

I have my building board all prepped and ready to go. so I glued both halves of the keel section together as instructed. I also cut out the bulkheads and various parts from their trees. If you are used to laser cut kits, this kit will take you back to the good or bad old days depending on your view because these are die cut or pressure cut panels, which don't go all the way through. So there will be quite a bit of knife work to do to free the parts from their trees as well as edge cleanup. I also took some pics of the next few steps in the build process for the hull.

mike

DSC00287.JPG

DSC00288.JPG

DSC00290.JPG

DSC00292.JPG

DSC00293.JPG

DSC00294.JPG

DSC00295.JPG

Hey Mike

Great start, buddy. In the "good old days", we called those parts "die crunched". Sterling models were world famous for die crunched parts. :)

Do you ever sand the side of the die cut sheet that's not completely cut through? Sometimes, sanding to reduce a small amount of thickness is enough to make the parts fall right out. At the least, it gives a lot less to cut when you're doing the knife work.

Mike,

It's kind of interesting that the two of us are building similar boats, the time era for our boats are the same too.

Question: What made you decide for brushed electric motor instead of brushless?

Here the latest Commander from Chris Craft

6038914_20161205134300088_1_XLARGE.jpg?w

I think I prefer the old style.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Me too, I think the old style looks classy. But I do hate the colors of that boat you have attached, I don't care for black on these style boats. I prefer color and not black and white. I went with brushless mainly because that is what Dumas suggests for the drive on this boat, plus the weight, which it will need quite a bit of due to the width. With brushless, you need to be careful of over heating and then that would require cooling jackets pumps. I'm also torn between lipo and NiMh batteries. Most of the guys that run these older boats prefer NiMh batteries just due to the weight. They would rather have operational weight rather than dead weight like lead ballast.

Nirv are you doing a build log on your's? It would be neat to see the progression of each one. 

2 hours ago, daddyrabbit1954 said:

Hey Mike

Great start, buddy. In the "good old days", we called those parts "die crunched". Sterling models were world famous for die crunched parts. :)

Do you ever sand the side of the die cut sheet that's not completely cut through? Sometimes, sanding to reduce a small amount of thickness is enough to make the parts fall right out. At the least, it gives a lot less to cut when you're doing the knife work.

Yeah, I tried that, but nothing doing. It's push, cut then sand the edges once they are out to smooth off all the left over crushing. It just adds a little more old school to an already old school project hahahahah.

Mike, I do have a build log of mine, look into the signature part.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

I'm impressed, this is much more of a kit than I was expecting. The epoxy is for the exterior I'm assuming, did it come with the kit?

LOL, not only are your ship building skills innovative but also your communication skills:) 

One picture is worth more than thousands of words.

I was waiting seeing the Morse codes. 

Respectfully

For all intent and purpose, I am cell phone illiterate. I must ask my children how to do most everything except the basic functions. Truth be known, I really don't want to take the time to actually learn to use my cell phone.

In any event, I love to follow your progress on the Chris Craft and hope you get your issues sorted out soon. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your build.