Armed Virginia Sloop by Hill202 - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

The fairing is completed. That is a lot more work than it appears to be. Lots of shims. I'm sure I'll go over it one more time before planking. I'm pretty sure more needs to come off bulkhead R. What do you guys think?

And I have a symmetry issue at bulkhead B, should be easily fixed.

post-26307-0-29876900-1476783388_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-04712900-1476783410_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-17044100-1476783433_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-34197800-1476783456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Current build:    Armed Virginia sloop

All this time, in the back of my mind I have been thinking about how to tell the inboard windows from the outboard windows. I just now realized that they are marked. When all else fails, read the instructions.

post-26307-0-88027800-1476796728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

As the above folks have said, really difficult to tell from the photo's.  Break out another piece of planking and make sure it gives you a smooth run along the bulkheads.  You should be able to start it at the keel and then slide it slowly up the bulkheads and have it make a nice clean run from stem to stern at any single spot while moving it along from bottom to top like that, on both sides.  If you can't do that, then identify the areas that need work (pencil works good for marking spots that need help) and focus on making very small adjustments until they are right.

In my defense, I don't remember any planes with windows this small. Nothing is glued, except frame 1. This is just one attempt to get the spacing right and everything square. Looking at everyone else's build log, it looks as if you guys just breezed right thru this part.

Edit - In studying the photo, I believe the answer is to make small blocks the same width as the windows and glue them to bulkhead R. Then set the frames from them.

post-26307-0-76179000-1476811144_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Bulkhead R looks fine to me.  Don't forget that the wing transom fits right on "R".  I'd do the final fairing there when it's installed.  Here's a couple of photos of the area from my build, with yours there to compare.  Pretty close!

post-3900-0-54127800-1476812832_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-62748900-1476812863_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-87152400-1476812877.jpg

I am going to have alot of adjusting to do. The angle on frame 3 does not match the other frames for some reason.I guess it won't hurt to sand it to match.

It seems that I read somewhere that someone else had this issue also.

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Here is the progress so far. The frames all seem to have the wrong angle cut. Hold them flush against the bulkhead and there is a gap at the top. I had to do quite a bit of adjusting. I hope I did not create issues down the road. They are out of alignment at the bottom also.

I have since realized that the kit manual mentions the angle is not right on the stern frames.

post-26307-0-54792600-1476889562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

You guys make a good point about bulkhead R. I over faired it during the initial faring. I should have looked ahead. It should have been faired very little until after the wing transom and filler were installed. Those are balsa blocks( terrible to work with) between the stern frames. I have very little scrap basswood.

post-26307-0-25559400-1476908371_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Doesn't matter, as long as you shape the wing transom properly, the planks can land on it, and worst case you can shim up and fill bulkhead R if you need to.

I'm pretty sure that the blocks for the wing transom are oversized also, I remember doing a lot of sanding and shaping to get them right.

Edited by GuntherMT

That's what they make wood filler for. Which gives me a reason to post another picture... :)

I found that these two are a near perfect color match for the Basswood and Walnut.

I do realize that you experienced guys know this stuff, maybe it will help a beginner, like me, one day.

post-26307-0-31541500-1476913978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

The transom wing and filler are finished.

I am going to glue the main deck down next. It has been nice having it out of the way. It has made the model easier to hold and kept me away from the bulkhead extensions. 

I have a little more tapering to do to stern frame # 3, port side, to fit the windows. I need to find the proper tool to handle them, maybe rubber coated tweezers. I broke one window in an attempt to fit it. You can see it in the photo on that piece of scotch tape.

post-26307-0-40146600-1477039034_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

It looks like you got the wing transom and filler right, Joe!  The stern is by far the most difficult part of this build.  Once that's done, it's smooth sailing.  The next area  that sometimes causes problems is establishing the location of the wales and fashion pieces.  Hang in there... you're doing great!

Thanks Dave! No doubt, the stern was, and still is, a challenge. I have some good tweezers on the way for handling those small windows. It even recommends tweezers in the practicum. It was a rookie move, trying to use my fingers.

I still have the side filler blocks to install as well. 

Edited by Hill202

Joe

I used that kind of wood filler also.

When you want you can add a few drops of water to it to make it more workable and to get it into smaller gaps more easily.

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

To do list to finish chapter one:

• Install side filler blocks 
  • repair broken window  :angry:
  • shim face of port side # 3 stern frame, 
  • adjust stern frames for window fitment
  • install upper and lower window frames, I plan to install stops for the windows (thanks Brian)
  • glue in main deck
  • trace notches onto bow filler blocks

I just thought that I was about finished with chapter one.

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Joe:  You mention "chapter one".  Are you using Bob Hunt's Lauck Street practicum to build your AVS?  If so, you can join his forum, where I posted my full build log for my AVS.   My log, and several others are there that were never posted here at MSW.  My MSW log is really the very end of the build and doesn't show very much.

Thanks Dave, yes it is his practicum. I did register for his forum awhile back. I considered a build log there but was not sure how much activity there was on his forum. I wondered where the rest of your log was. I'll be sure to check it out. I really like the way you "paint" with wood.

Joe

It's a good practicum, I think it was his first and maybe one of his best. I also used it for my AVS

It's hard to tell from your picture, but I think you might need to work on the outermost curves of the filler below the wing transom block.  It looks like the way it is now the planks flowing into it from the bulkhead would have to 'lift' away from the bulkheads to round the wing transom, which shouldn't be the case.

This could just be because of the angle of the photo too.  Just make sure that a plank can flow smoothly all the way from the stem to the stern post (or up and into the bottom of the transom where they land there) and you will be good.  

I've never used that kind of plank bender. Joe.  The really thin veneers don't really require anything more than a little soaking in water if you need them to turn sharply (lake the stern of the AVS).  The first planking of the hull uses much thicker stock in general, but is softer wood and bends easily with soaking.  For my second planking on "Independence" which is 1/32" thick, I'm using heat:  just an old clothes iron.  It works great!