Albatros 1840 by BrianD2112 - Constructo - scale 1:55 - Baltimore Schooner

Can you tell what wood hull is? It is lighter than the other wood. There are two woods one is hull planking and darker wood for items like water ways, trim and wales. I have plenty of wood except hull planking and that's what I am mainly ordering I will get it in 1 mm

Edited by BrianD2112

BRIAN DELLIS

CURRENT BUILD - ALBATROS 1:55 CONSTRUCTO

I'm not certain just by looking at the pictures however, typical light colored woods are maple, and boxwood. Again, there are no set rules for this that have to be followed it is up to the individual builder and what looks good to their eye.

My hull has mahogany on the lower part with maple for the white stripes and dyed boxwood for the blue. The wales and trim are done in walnut and the interior has pear for bulwarks and bulkheads with boxwood decks and walnut and pear for the trim.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Your picture looks like mahogany on the lower hull, box wood for the white and walnut trim. Not sure how acurate this is but it will get you in the right ballpark.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 3 weeks later...

Great news Brian! Looking forward to seeing you resume your build. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

my first model, i know i have many mistakes :) but i have learned many things in this conversation here to improve my performance. many thanks friends.

post-26813-0-99933500-1480165570_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

I use Zapp a Gap (green) CA. I soak the planks a bit, which speeds up the sticking of the glue. Hold the plank in place a few seconds while pressing lightly and it holds! ( it holds your finger as well if dont take care, mind you). Works perfectly with me.

Edited by Dutchman

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

Brian, that is a good plan and is sually how I glue my planks as well. Just keep the wood glue spread evenly and thin on the plank. This will keep ot from pushing up between the edges and making a mess. A little goes a long way.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Well moving a long oh so slowly. Not extactly happy with lowest planks at just above keel at the stern but this is the most difficult due tork on planks. But will move forward as best I can. Will look for easier hull planking on next build for sure

BRIAN DELLIS

Not really sure if there are any "easy" planking ships but it does get easier to do with practice. Water and heat and woods that will bend easy are your friends to be sure. Mostly though it is just a lot of patience and trial fit, soak, heat, bend trial fit and repeat as needed. I know that doesn't really help but it does get better. 

In a few weeks I will be starting the planking of my newest build, Le Soleil Royal. When I do I will try to do a better job of taking and posting instructional pictures to better explain my methods than I did before. Keep on trying and it will get there!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks I will keep moving forward slowly. I feel like it is MY "original sin" as in the the first critical mistake I made made on the hull and paying for it ever since. I will just have to be satisfied with the outcome and learn from my mistakes but is hard when you are OCD like myself. LOL.

PS E.J. LOVING THE NEW BUILD.

BRIAN DELLIS

Thanks Brian!

I know the feeling of "original sin" only too well. La Couronne suffers from that as I should have taken more time to straighten out the false keel better or simply cut a new one. While I have managed to cover and conceal most of the issues, she is still lopsided and it has bugged me now for 10 months! Live and learn and I have made sure the new build does not suffer the same fate.  :D 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart