Howard Chapelle's Maryland Crabbing Skiff 5/8 scale by teleman

Yes, Mario, but it's those "crazy things" that make it look good, and this skiff is really looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

it's nice your putting her back up........looks great Mario!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

bob , popeye thanks for stopping by guys,

almost done putting back this build thread. here's another update to it...........

I used the baloon and thinned down white glue method on the jib n spritsail....well here is 15 more photos...
1353706255_1925_FT5580_95c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_96c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_97c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_98c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_99c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_100c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_101c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_102c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_103c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_104c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_105c.jpg
1353706255_1925_FT5580_106c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_107c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_108c_.jpg

1353706255_1925_FT5580_109c.jpg 

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Mario,

I just noticed the grommets you put in the sail for lacing.  How did you do them?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Mario,

Another super build going on. See you are nearing the end.

Most confess I have never seen a rudder exend so below the skeg. One would think it would get knocked off easily. Is the ruder position unique to the Maryland crabbing skiff?

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Thanks Russ for your kind remarks!

Mario,

I just noticed the grommets you put in the sail for lacing.  How did you do them?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Nope i did not make any grommets. My little trick was a modeling size awl and a little graphite on the end pushed thru the hole. then a touch of CA so it would not rub off. It gave it an appearence of a grommet.

Hi Mario,

Another super build going on. See you are nearing the end.

Most confess I have never seen a rudder exend so below the skeg. One would think it would get knocked off easily. Is the ruder position unique to the Maryland crabbing skiff?

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

Hi David,

Thanks for kind words. Yes on these little boats they do. I used as you can see Chapelle's book on this as one reference.

The other was an actual Maryland Skiff write here. They show 2 options. One of their rudders was even bigger then the one I show...

http://s247.photobucket.com/user/lakeeriesailor/library/Maryland%20Crabbing%20Skiff/?page=1#/user/lakeeriesailor/library/Maryland%20Crabbing%20Skiff?page=1&_suid=1365533295890015137427744168996

Now you got me talking here David. I have been toying with the idea of taking this real nice display board I have here at home and display several tiller n rudder assemplies from the Chesapeake Bay area. You know just the portion of these workboats. It's the tiller n rudders that really initially attracked me to these workboats in the first place.

Man David if you google some you can find some really wild tiller n rudder assemplies that i think are way cool. So thats where the idea of me doing someting like that. I have plenty of scrap wood to do this and would make for a very interesting conversation piece at home.

When I do get my modeling room re-modeled hoefuly in about a month I already have plans on the Galilee Boat, a C.B. bugeye, and a Smith Island Crabbing Skiff(known in that area as a CRAB SCRAPING BOAT.

OK I HAVE TALK TOO MUCH NOW BFN

MARIO

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Now the snotter was something new to me. never even hear of it till, I read Chapelle's book. After a bit of research turns out there ae many variations of how to build a snotter. All this did was just make this build even more interesting as I went along....

well here are the last photos of the Crabbing Skiff!!!!

1353706875_1925_FT5580_110c.jpg
1353706875_1925_FT5580_111c_.jpg

1353706875_1925_FT5580_112c_.jpg

1353706875_1925_FT5580_113c.jpg
1353706875_1925_FT5580_114c_.jpg

1353706875_1925_FT5580_115c.jpg
1353706875_1925_FT5580_116c_.jpg

1353706875_1925_FT5580_117c.jpg 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

WELL HERE IT IS ALL DONE. I HOPE THIS RE-DUE OF MY BUILD LOG FROM 1.0 WILL HELP ANYONE DECIDING THE BUILD A WORK BOAT OF THE cHESAPEAKE BAY AREA.

MIDWEST MAKES A FINE MODEL OF THIS LITTLE BOAT, BUT NOWHERE NEAR AS DETAILED. BY i TOOK THEIR SCALE OF 5/8'S WHICH WORKOUT VERY NICE, WHICH PRESENTED A MODEL OF 16.5 INCHES IN LENGTH. A VERY NICE DISPLAY SIZE FOR MY HOME.

I COMPLETED THIS MODEL ON NOV. 23, 2012.........

IT'S A DONE DEAL.......FINAL PHOTOS IN THE COMPLETE FORUM HOPEFULLY SOMETIME TONIGHT....
1353707004_1925_FT5580_img_5166.jpg 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Mario,

Your skiff is a very fine build. Scratch no less, wow!

BTW, when I was building my Sharpie Schooner I spent a lot of time in Chapelle's books.  You are so right in those books is every kind of rudder-tiller combination imaginable is shown. Your idea to make and dispay an array of rudders is a good one.

Thanks for posting your build, wonderbar!

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

great build my friend!   such a cool looking boat.......love how you've rigged it!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mario, I Loved it the first time around, and it was just as delightful the second.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you ALL!!!  I hope it inspires someone to pick up his book and pick a project from his book. IMO this one would be a great little beginner scratch build.....

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Beautifuly done Mario, great idea on the grommets !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)