Armed Virginia Sloop by PamW - scale 1/24 - enlarged Model Shipways plans

The downside to using Titebond III vs. original Titebond, is that if you need to take parts apart (which I have to do all the time), you can do this with just water if you are using Titebond original, but Titebond III is waterproof so you'll need to find out what sort of nasty chemical is needed if you have to de-bond anything.

Ok...wood and saw parts are on the truck for delivery....tracking is a wonderful thing.

Came into work a bit early to start the pattern making process....yes I have been slacking, but I have been cleaning up the shipyard so building will be more efficient.

Onward McDuff,

Pamela

post-26180-0-34781200-1478004859_thumb.jpg

Edited by PamW

Wow...accomplished way more than I thought I would this evening.......woo-hoo

The first poplar plank is 48"x10"x3/8"......so this should give a good idea of actual size.

Now to find a nice Lil band saw for at home.

The last photo is the walnut.

This wood I got from Ocooch hardwoods in Wisconsin seems to be very good stuff.

Onward,

Pamela

post-26180-0-25424200-1478131939_thumb.jpg

post-26180-0-58248800-1478131952_thumb.jpg

post-26180-0-27123200-1478131966_thumb.jpg

post-26180-0-17810300-1478131997_thumb.jpg

post-26180-0-97467200-1478132010_thumb.jpg

post-26180-0-47391800-1478132021_thumb.jpg

Ok....ideas here....I don't wish to paint anything here....if anything stains. So selecting woods that work together might be tough......the decking is teak..

That's set.....keel, stem, rudder...walnut.....now, my terminology is bad here so bare with me.

Top rail, few planks below that and below the gun ports black walnut, gun port planking cherry or plain walnut.....and main hull planking cherry.

Is this way off base....or might that work?

Suggestions, critisms, tell me I'm goofy.....

Pamela

Can't speak for others, but I have a very difficult time visualizing the appearance of different woods to decide stuff like that in my head, which is why I make samples of everything before applying to the ship.

Try taking small samples of the woods you mentioned and lay them down in the same relationship they'll be on the ship, and then apply whatever finish you plan to use so that you can see how it looks.  If you are happy with the appearance, then go for it!

I know I'm not much help, but there is a reason everything I own is very 'blah', I have no sense at all for decorating/art/colors...  Classic wood/beige furniture, silver or white car, etc..  :)

Top rail black walnut, cherry planking, walnut wales then cherry for hull planking. Then the gun port linings walnut, is this what you are saying? If so sounds like a nice combo. All depends how much colour you like, you could easily squeeze in some swiss pear also :)

My Batelina build is of cherry and walnut if you are curious as to how they look together

Edited by donrobinson

Onward McDuff,

Pamela

I didn't know McDuff was still around.  Hopefully he'll come back after he's finished with McBeth.   :D  :D  :D

Suggestions, critisms, tell me I'm goofy.....

Pamela

Goofy?  Nope, no more than any of the rest of us.   :rolleyes:   

Do be careful with the ebony and wear a facemask as the dust can be anything from mildly allergenic to toxic depending on your immune system.  Plus it gets everywhere and stains blades and sandpaper.   :o   The upside is that it looks great.  

I can't judge nor critique wood choices as where on the model it is located and the finishing of it is everything.   ;)  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Made the remaining bulkhead patterns today along with the sub deck patterns.

Motivation is low due to work being wicked crazy....end of day I am wiped, plus it's been in the Flippin 90s here lately and my patio is a sauna after work so no joy there.

I should be able to get a bunch done this weekend.....

Pamela